Arizona State Pre-Med

ben999

Reaction score
I am currently an incoming high school senior looking to eventually go to med school. I have a 4.0 gpa and a 1450 SAT (1490 superscore). I am considering staying in state at ASU, going to an out of state school with a higher med school acceptance rate (prob in California) , or doing a BSMD program at probably either Toledo or UMKC. I was wondering if ASU is a good option given it’s relatively small premed program or those rather unprestigious automatic admission shorten programs would be better, or a different option entirely. Thank You for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

California does not have a higher medical school acceptance rate, it's incredibly competitive. Also, why do a BSMD and limit yourself to going to medical school there? What if you hate it?

ASU is a great school. I would save money by staying in-state and just do well in your courses. Just don't party too much.

Reactions: 1 user
I would just like to note that most BS/MD programs are highly competitive, with students typically accepted with a 1500 SAT or 34 ACT and many medical-related ECs. If you decide to apply to BS/MD programs, make sure you apply broadly and to regular undergrads that you like as well. However, ASU is not a "bad school" at all. I would say apply to some other schools you like and see if those schools would provide better financial aid, but don't go in college applications with the mindset of aiming for the most "not prestigious" school possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely consider it! I had similar stats in HS and came to ASU from out of state because of scholarships. I'll be graduating from undergrad 100% debt-free, which is huge.

I am currently an incoming high school senior looking to eventually go to med school. I have a 4.0 gpa and a 1450 SAT (1490 superscore). I am considering staying in state at ASU, going to an out of state school with a higher med school acceptance rate (prob in California) , or doing a BSMD program at probably either Toledo or UMKC. I was wondering if ASU is a good option given it’s relatively small premed program or those rather unprestigious automatic admission shorten programs would be better, or a different option entirely. Thank You for any advice.
Your stats are great. Go to the school where you feel like you fit in the best. College is a unique time to try out new things and experiment and figure out who you are. While I fully support BS/MD programs, I feel that they cut into time that would be spent having fun in college, and therefore becoming a more well-rounded person.

You're only young once. Don't miss it. :)