are you writing descriptions for activities/research in eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you write extra comments for ERAS activites?

• Volunteer: Yes, more than 2 phrases in description

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Volunteer: No, less than 2 phrases in description

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Research: Yes, more than 2 phrases in description

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Research: No, less than 2 phrases in description

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Work: Yes, more than 2 phrases in description

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Work: No, less than 2 phrases in description

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm wondering what everyone's doing about the activites/research/work portion of eras. are you guys writing descriptions beyond the activity?

For poll, if you wrote 0 comments or just 1 brief sentence, select "No."

If you wrote at least 2 sentences or phrases to add some detail/description to activity, select "Yes".

i.e. Volunteer at X hospital.
--I did x,y z. Sentence 2. Phrase 3. etc.

or just:

Volunter at X hospital.
(empty comments)

----
For research, are you writing down the details of project/results or just that u did research in a lab?

Research in Lab Z
Mentor: Dr. Y
Comments: Project was "How to do ERAS". Hypothesis. Results. Conclusion.

Or Research in LabZ
Mentor: Dr. Y
Comments: empty.

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
i'm wondering what everyone's doing about the activites/research/work portion of eras. are you guys writing descriptions beyond the activity?

Well, one of my research entries was for my PhD, so I was planning on writing a small paragraph. I'm really interested to know what others are doing.

I also dont know if I should graduate research experience before med school... I did my masters in biomedical engineering so it is somewhat related. (Thesis on skin properties.)

My first guess is include anything that doesn't look like fluff.

I'm confused as to why so many people are not putting any description for what they did. How are the people reading your application supposed to know what was involved? Especially because so many research projects and even volunteer activities are not self-explanatory. Let me give you an example from my own experiences.

Example 1.
Clinic Coordinator, ABC Clinic, Anytown, USA.
Research Assistant, Henry Jackson Foundation.

Do you guys know what I did? I doubt it. This is the way it's going to look on the application:

Example 2.
Women's Clinic Coordinator, ABC Clinic.
Oversaw the workings of bi-monthly student-run women’s healthcare clinic for women in homeless and rehabilitation programs in Anytown. Oriented volunteers, greeted and screened patients at the door, sent in labs, made sure all medications and other medical supplies are up to date, and assisted in fundraising, lunch lectures, and other activities of the ABC Clinic organization.

Research Assistant, Henry Jackson Foundation.
Served as research assistant to the Makerere University-Walter Reed Project in Kampala, Uganda. Created database for electronic medical record storage of patients participating in HIV vaccine trials. Assisted in assessment of health center laboratories for use in anti-retroviral treatments as part of research trials. Also shadowed once weekly with Ugandan doctor treating pediatric and adult patients with HIV/AIDS.

Is there any question which way is more illuminating, and makes me sound like a more interesting person? Maybe if you're resume padding, and explaining what you actually did would make you sound worse rather than better - that's the only reason I'd leave out the description...

How much info should we be including in the "hobbies/interests" section?

How much info should we be including in the "hobbies/interests" section?

i included like 4-5 hobbies. it's interesting looking at this poll that more people volunteer>work>research.

My question concerns listing work hours in this section. Many of my volunteer activities were varied in their hours and estimating the work hours would be practically impossible. Thanks!