Are you happy with your match result?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would move for the position but then again I've already decided that getting a residency spot overrides almost everything else. Of course I don't have anybody who has to change jobs for me-but if your husband knew he might have to do it I'm not sure there's a problem at all unless you simply don't want to move. I don't know how old your kids are but if they're young they'll deal with it pretty well since making new friends with similar tastes isn't quite as hard when you're 6.

Members don't see this ad.

I matched at my #8 out of 16 ranks for derm but I am unhappy with the result due to having to move my family. The program is not well recognized but the residents seemed nice on the day of the interview. Not only do I not like the school or city I have to move my family and my husband has to get a new job.

I am considering switching specialities to possibly anesthesiology. What should I do? I feel horrible :(:(

The funny thing about many of these comments is that most of the derm applicants know that one of the reasons they are chose derm was because of the lifestyle and possibly its prestige/competiveness. Of course you must like skin to do it otherwise you would do radiology or anesthesiology. I am just being real with all my comments.

Based on these comments it appears you may have applied to a field you innately do not like in the first place... o_O

Some of us actually do like this field, quite a bit, actually. If you like any of the following mixed together; clinical practice (social butterfly), procedures (including LASERs, because LASERs are neat!), Immunology, ID, Oncology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Cosmetics, and are kind of nerdy and excited to learn about tons of things you have never heard of before (and may not even be able to say on the first try) then Dermatology is for you! :)

I am sure I missed something. I am pre-call and already tired from doing call tomorrow, lol.

I do hope it works out for you derm155.

Thanks N-surge. I am still trying to get over this and getting the money to pay for the move.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or is derm the only field where you have a bunch of women complaining about where they have to move?

Is it just me or is derm the only field where you have a bunch of women complaining about where they have to move?
Hey, c'mon!! That's not fair. There are also men complaining about where they have to move. Don't forget about us.

Last edited:
Everyday I go back and forth with my decision. I think I need to talk to my dean.

What could he possibly tell you that's going to make your decision any easier?

Sensitive Skin: Welcome to NY! Perhaps it's even better that you'll be on your own for the 1st year. I'm sorry ALL the family gave you such a hard time rather than being supportive. Familes can be very strange.

Sore Eyes: I've written it before. You're hilarious. I'd love to meet you.

Everyone else: I do think the OP is being silly, and is not making sense, but I also think it's rather extreme to call her arrogant and ingrat and sense of entitlement. C'mon, what has she actually written or said that says so. I think you guys are being too hard on her.

For the record: I love skin. Before I wanted derm I didn't have an INKLING of how popular or competetive it was in the US and honestly I was shocked and depressed to find out. In my home country derm is a low prestige low popularity specialty. After graduating I didn't do any clinical work but worked for many years in R&D for skin care products (cosmetic and OTC). Hence my love for skin. But nobody has any reason to worry about competition from me. I think I'll be soooo way below any program's radar screen regardless of what I score on the exams (non of which I've taken yet) due to having graduated eons of years ago. And I mean eons.

For those of us who would fight tooth and nail to get to where 155 is, posts like hers are a slap in the face. It's fair that other specialties may interest you, but considering that there are people who truly love Derm above anything else, posts like these are insulting.

In the next year I predict you will meet a charming, handsome man who is hung like a Clydesdale. He will buy you roses by the thousands and kiss your neck ever so tenderly.

When your husband joins you later, you will just hold up a ruler, look at his package quizzically, shake your head in shame, and say "I don't think this is going to work out."

as for you, derm155, you're just so real. I mean, dang girl, your realness is just blowin my mind. Seriously, how does one keep it so mother f'ing real? When god created the idea of reality, he must've had you in mind. I just looked up the word real in the dictionary, and it showed a picture of evander holyfield and derm155.

hahahaha amazing post!!!!!!!!!!!!!