Are you happy as a Salus PCO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

deleted848155

Long story short I applied a few hours before the deadline for SUNY and PCO. I got an interview to SUNY (my number 1 choice), It was my first professional interview I Have ever had in my life. I was naive and scheduled it a few days after I got an interview which I got over spring break and didn't give myself a chance to do a mock interview or anything. I did a horrible job, everything I planned out to answer with I blanked out on. I was confident walking out of that interview room that I lost my chances. To no surprise, I didn't get accepted. But they reassured me that usually only 30% of applicants overall get an interview and 15% get an interview this late into the cycle so you're obviously already strong and special enough.

A week later I got an invite to PCO and I scheduled my interview soon. However, I have heard so many negative things about this school and I know the school changed its curriculum to make sure the passing rates for the board will be higher this year. But in general, are you happy as a PCO student? Do you like it there? Do you feel prepared? Do you feel like a part of the community there? Is this a good school? I thought it was, but everything I read online says otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually you won't find too many people admitting that they do not like their school. No one likes to admit that they spent $200K on a school that isn't awesome. Follow the board scores. If you don't pass boards you can't practice.

Reactions: 1 user
PCO is a good school but they are going through a lot of transitions with their faculty, and I would not recommend it at this point in time. Their board first time pass rate is very low like 55%. Yes PCO has a great reputation which is why I chose it but the faculty that gave them their reputation has all retired and new faculty are trying to emulate the same teaching methods and styles but its not working out. They do ask for suggestions but it seems that they are not taking those suggesting seriously. So if I could do it again, I wouldn't have chosen PCO.

Do the search before posting something: 1st time Passing Rate for class of 2019 was 77% which was little above the national average. Yes, things are changing but it's a grad school so you will have to work on your own to master things that you don't get. You will be well prepared to see your own patient and faculties are always there to help when needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per ACOE website they lost accreditation of one VA residency this year.

FWIW Per ASCO published data, the NBEO ultimate pass rate for 2017 was 84.21% and for 2018 was 85.28%.
FWIW I've shadowed two PCO optos extensively, one grad of 3 years ago, another more than a decade ago. Both are doing well in their private practice and MD/OD shops, respectively, both seem to be excellent clinicians.

I did do my research, the class of 2019 still had those professors around and they had access to tutors who had learned from those professors that had left. Also that is a stat from a couple years ago, I am talking about more recent classes who did not have those professors and that is at 55% first-time pass rate.
Students do bad because they don't study/party & fooling around too much not because professors aren't teaching! They present all the tools needed and if one doesn't use it then it's that person's loss. It's a grad school so you have study independently and learn at your own pace - some learn from going to the classroom and some watching recorded videos/power-points etc. If you think you will pass board exams just because school has good professors then think twice before starting school!