Are you guys scared of Pharmacy Robberies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe I was misunderstood. I'm saying if a guy came up to you and said, "give me Oxy!", without any indication of a weapon or him hiding a hand in his jacket, would you do it?

So he's trying to rob you unarmed.
Seems like this could be a misunderstanding involving a refill request or something like that. I'm pretty sure most robbers would either have a weapon on display, or imply it with their note.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like this could be a misunderstanding involving a refill request or something like that. I'm pretty sure most robbers would either have a weapon on display, or imply it with their note.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I can't count how many times someone has asked me for oxy without producing the script first. It would be pretty hilarious if I just gave out the entire stock every time that happened. My customers would love me. :laugh:

I think this is one of those times critical thinking applies - I am NOT going to make a robber produce a weapon, I think if I were being robbed I would know it. ;)

What are the stats in countries where firearms are banned?
Canada...

Well, long guns and handguns are not banned here, but they're pretty much only permitted while hunting or at the range and the licensing/registration requirements are somewhat onerous.

There are a number of cultural differences though. I'd blame the USA's rich-poor gaps, social problems and higher degrees of access to drugs of abuse than most other countries before I blamed the guns themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone robbed at gunpoint? Has anyone had a guy just ask for the drugs with a note? What would you do then? I feel like I'd need to see a decent sized knife, at least.

In that case, if I was armed, and the robber hasn't shown his weapon, I'd pull out my weapon and hold him at gunpoint until the police arrive. If the robber makes any movements, they get shot.

And before anyone comments or asks. I do not value the life of someone who is trying to rob me, armed or unarmed.

In that case, if I was armed, and the robber hasn't shown his weapon, I'd pull out my weapon and hold him at gunpoint until the police arrive. If the robber makes any movements, they get shot.

And before anyone comments or asks. I do not value the life of someone who is trying to rob me, armed or unarmed.

You're allowed to have a gun in the pharmacy?

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I can't count how many times someone has asked me for oxy without producing the script first. It would be pretty hilarious if I just gave out the entire stock every time that happened. My customers would love me. :laugh:

I think this is one of those times critical thinking applies - I am NOT going to make a robber produce a weapon, I think if I were being robbed I would know it. ;)

Perhaps the perfect time to remind them to call the number on the bottom of the receipt and answer a few quick questions about their service today...

Perhaps the perfect time to remind them to call the number on the bottom of the receipt and answer a few quick questions about their service today...

If I had been drinking something, I would have spit it out.

I can just imagine it now. As I am handing over the oxy - "And we are rated by how many 5's you give us, so please give us a great score!" :laugh:

A man who grew up in the same neighborhood as me later owned a pawnshop, and one day, a guy came in brandishing a gun and said, "This is a robbery!" My old neighbor grabbed the robber's gun with one hand and threw it on the floor behind the counter, and with the other hand pulled out his own weapon and said, "That one's fake. This one's real!"

:eek:

The robber ran out the door, but was caught later that day because he committed yet another crime!

My neighbor was later arrested because he was discovered to be dealing in merchandise that he knew was stolen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my godness...
So many stories!

A man who grew up in the same neighborhood as me later owned a pawnshop, and one day, a guy came in brandishing a gun and said, "This is a robbery!" My old neighbor grabbed the robber's gun with one hand and threw it on the floor behind the counter, and with the other hand pulled out his own weapon and said, "That one's fake. This one's real!"

The robber ran out the door, but was caught later that day because he committed yet another crime!

My neighbor was later arrested because he was discovered to be dealing in merchandise that he knew was stolen.

Somebody tried to break into my work using an axe. The axe was stuck in the metal door when we got there in the morning.

Another person tried to beat the drive thru window with a piece of rebar, they beat the glass until the cops got there.

What scares me about pharmacy robberies is people being out of their effin mind on pills and not even thinking twice about massacring everybody in the pharmacy to get a quick fix. I will most surely be arming myself with a firearm, but if I see someone with a gun coming I'm just running for safety. I feel like I should be a leader in the pharmacy and get everyone out first, but I'm pretty sure panic mood would set in and I would just be thinking about saving my own life.

What scares me about pharmacy robberies is people being out of their effin mind on pills and not even thinking twice about massacring everybody in the pharmacy to get a quick fix.

Despite your fears, this isn't simply true. People are not getting stung out and massacring pharmacists for oxy. There is ONE example in which pharmacy staff was shot and that only happened in the last couple weeks. If you comply with the demands, don't act like john wayne, and play it cool you will get out of it alive. People don't want to murder someone in a robbery, they just want what they came for and get out. Pulling a gun on a nervous robber is the way to get yourself or someone else killed. The only ones that thinks different are deluded by some hero complex

Well, we are the 7/11 of healthcare...
Funny you mention that, literally the same day that the news broke about the Long Island massacre, the 7/11 down the road from us was robbed by some guy carrying a hammer! Just imagine being beaten with a hammer as you're robbed... probably much worse than getting shot.

Funny you mention that, literally the same day that the news broke about the Long Island massacre, the 7/11 down the road from us was robbed by some guy carrying a hammer! Just imagine being beaten with a hammer as you're robbed... probably much worse than getting shot.

The 7/11 meets Home Depot.

Is it better to just comply or just run away? If he doesn't have a gun and jumps over the counter why not jump over the counter to get away. Do most pharmacies have back door exits for a quick getaway or do you have to go through the store to get outside?

Only reason why I'd might not want to shoot the robber is the bloody mess that you'd have to clean up later.

Is it better to just comply or just run away? If he doesn't have a gun and jumps over the counter why not jump over the counter to get away. Do most pharmacies have back door exits for a quick getaway or do you have to go through the store to get outside?
Backdoor exit = backdoor entrance for robbers. Every store I've worked in just had the main entrance/exit at the usual front of store. I'm sure in some stores there might be one out back leading to dumpsters or whatnot, but it's probably not a good idea in general to have a direct way into the pharmacy.

I would never shoot anybody. I don't want to go through the possibility of detectives to accuse me of being over zealous.

Only reason why I'd might not want to shoot the robber is the bloody mess that you'd have to clean up later.

No worries, that would be taken care of by a professional service. I once saw an interesting movie about the people who do that work, can't remember the name right now. It was pretty good.

Backdoor exit = backdoor entrance for robbers. Every store I've worked in just had the main entrance/exit at the usual front of store. I'm sure in some stores there might be one out back leading to dumpsters or whatnot, but it's probably not a good idea in general to have a direct way into the pharmacy.

You can always get a door that can only be opened from one direction.

I saw that too, although a teacher telling a mother that her child cannot return to school until he gets meds is unethical and is actually practicing medicine without a license. :rolleyes:

Discovery Channel, or some similar station, had some programs a few years back about a disaster cleanup crew. Most of their work was stuff like exploding sewage lines, but they did occasionally have to deal with the aftermath of suicides or someone who died suddenly and wasn't found for a few days.

Despite your fears, this isn't simply true. People are not getting stung out and massacring pharmacists for oxy. There is ONE example in which pharmacy staff was shot and that only happened in the last couple weeks. If you comply with the demands, don't act like john wayne, and play it cool you will get out of it alive. People don't want to murder someone in a robbery, they just want what they came for and get out. Pulling a gun on a nervous robber is the way to get yourself or someone else killed. The only ones that thinks different are deluded by some hero complex

Are you telling me that you think in the entire history of pharmacy robberies, there was only one time when pharmacy staff get shot?

Logic tells me there must be more. 5 minutes is all it took for me to find another case. Who taught y'all to google?

"Most robbers don't hurt anyone, but authorities are worried the risk of bloodshed is increasing as assaults multiply. In September, a clerk was fatally shot in the chest and a pregnant woman wounded in the foot when a shootout broke out between a robber and an armed employee at a pharmacy in a suburb of Sacramento, Calif. In April, a gunman killed a pharmacist in Trenton, N.J., before stealing $10,000 in pills."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...macy-robberies/2011/06/25/AGjM3nkH_story.html

Turns out it was an Indian pharmacist who wouldn't give some teenager the drugs. Then the kid comes back with a gun and shoots the pharmacist. Some people will shoot you just because you disrespect them. You can't imagine how trifle killing someone can be to certain segments of the population.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/indian-pharmacist-shot-dead-in-new-jersey-102496

That one Massacre you mention, the robbers didn't even ask for drugs. They shot first then took the drugs off the shelves. What you say about them not wanting to kill applies to professionals and the level headed. These robberies are attracting those who would ordinarily be robbing corner stores and gas stations. Youtube is rife with videos of robbers shooting even after getting the money. And you should capitalize John Wayne.

Are you telling me that you think in the entire history of pharmacy robberies, there was only one time when pharmacy staff get shot?

Logic tells me there must be more. 5 minutes is all it took for me to find another case. Who taught y'all to google?

"Most robbers don't hurt anyone, but authorities are worried the risk of bloodshed is increasing as assaults multiply. In September, a clerk was fatally shot in the chest and a pregnant woman wounded in the foot when a shootout broke out between a robber and an armed employee at a pharmacy in a suburb of Sacramento, Calif. In April, a gunman killed a pharmacist in Trenton, N.J., before stealing $10,000 in pills."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...macy-robberies/2011/06/25/AGjM3nkH_story.html

Turns out it was an Indian pharmacist who wouldn't give some teenager the drugs. Then the kid comes back with a gun and shoots the pharmacist. Some people will shoot you just because you disrespect them. You can't imagine how trifle killing someone can be to certain segments of the population.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/indian-pharmacist-shot-dead-in-new-jersey-102496

That one Massacre you mention, the robbers didn't even ask for drugs. They shot first then took the drugs off the shelves. What you say about them not wanting to kill applies to professionals and the level headed. These robberies are attracting those who would ordinarily be robbing corner stores and gas stations. Youtube is rife with videos of robbers shooting even after getting the money. And you should capitalize John Wayne.

The company that makes an automated sentry gun system for retail stores is gonna make a hell of a lot of money.

No worries, that would be taken care of by a professional service. I once saw an interesting movie about the people who do that work, can't remember the name right now. It was pretty good.
An acquaintance of mine used to do that for a living. It always seemed a little grotesque to me.

Jung1, you might want to read post #29 in this thread. This is nothing new.

:(