Are you considered active duty when using the HPSP scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am prior service so I have the GI bill. Would it be possible to use the GI bill in conjunction with HPSP so I could get the E-5 BAH(living expenses) pay plus the book stipend along with the the Stipend payed by the HPSP?

Im trying to figure out the best way to use my GI bill since I can go to Undergrad for free, payed for by my employer and the state without using my GI bill.

Do I go ahead and use the GI bill while in undergrad and just bank the checks until dental school or can I use it while in dental school?

I dont want to wait and try to use it for dental school then find out I cant and then have the time run out on my GI bill and lose 60,000-70,000 dollars.

Members don't see this ad.

I am prior service so I have the GI bill. Would it be possible to use the GI bill in conjunction with HPSP so I could get the E-5 BAH(living expenses) pay plus the book stipend along with the the Stipend payed by the HPSP?

Im trying to figure out the best way to use my GI bill since I can go to Undergrad for free, payed for by my employer and the state without using my GI bill.

Do I go ahead and use the GI bill while in undergrad and just bank the checks until dental school or can I use it while in dental school?

I dont want to wait and try to use it for dental school then find out I cant and then have the time run out on my GI bill and lose 60,000-70,000 dollars.

yes you can use both HPSP and GI Bill same time:

GI Bill Benefits for Prior Service Participants:

The Department of Veteran’s Affairs considers the HPSP/FAP/NCP stipend a scholarship. This enables participants with GI bill benefits to collect the stipend plus the GI Bill education benefits earned while on active duty. To qualify, you must have served on continuous active duty for more than 180 days, attend an approved institution, and pursue an approved program of education. For more information, application forms, etc. see the VA officer at your school or contact the local Veteran's Affairs office in your area. As with the stipend, you are not entitled to receive GI Bill benefits while you are on Annual Training."

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/StipendandBonus.aspx

The only question I have: how about tuition and fee payment under new Post 9/11 Bill. Military pays your full tuition and fees (under HPSP), and Post 9/11 Bill reimburses part of that tuition direct to school. You are entitled to Post 9/11 Bill reimbursement up to the most expensive in state undergrad tuition and fees. It goes directly to school.

So looks like school will receive double payment, and should return overpayment to member. If this is true, then there is nice loop-hole in Post 9/11 Bill that can allow member to pocket nice amount when using HPSP and GI Bill simultaneously.

So looks like school will receive double payment, and should return overpayment to member. If this is true, then there is nice loop-hole in Post 9/11 Bill that can allow member to pocket nice amount when using HPSP and GI Bill simultaneously.

You're silly, loop-holes like that would never benefit the student. If anything they might charge you more because they have spend time figuring out how to deal with the extra cash THEY are receiving :laugh:

seriously though, if it worked out like you say, it would be freakin awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in the HPSP prgm now, do you get GI benefits when you get out?

Sorry if that is a stupid question.

If you are in the HPSP prgm now, do you get GI benefits when you get out?

Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Aww, I have to throw in a good quote, "there aren't stupid questions only stupid people."

To answer your question you will have full GI benefits after 3 years on active duty.