Are you considered a re-applicant to schools that you didn't submit a secondary to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Love Minny 42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last cycle but there were some schools I sent the primary to but did not complete their secondary application (along with schools I have newly added this year to my school list). I know in general I am considered a re-applicant because I applied last cycle but what about to those new schools and the schools I did not complete a secondary for? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was advised by multiple people to avoid saying that I was a re-applicant unless the school specifically asked if I had applied in previous cycles. If they don't ask there's no need to tell them. If they care about it, they will ask in the secondary or at an interview.

Right. My question is more in regards to secondaries. Say school X asks on the secondary "are you a reapplicant to school X?", what would you say if you sent the primary to that school previously but never submitted the secondary? Would you still be classified as a re-applicant to that school and/or to schools you did not apply to last cycle but are adding for the current cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you submit a primary you are a reapplicant. It does not make a difference if you didn't submit a secondary to that school or to any schools for that matter. Once you hit submit, it means you applied. If you didn't complete a secondary you should be able to give a valid reason as to why you did not finish that app (to that school). If you can't, then you can pretty much cross that school off of lists for future cycles.

Yes you are a reapplicant.

In my second cycle I applied to MSU but did not do the secondary.

They still interviewed me for round three when I decided to do the secondary.

Related question:

Are you considered a re-applicant to schools that you applied to a combined BS/MD program for?

Do I need to explain why I didn't submit a secondary to schools that I am reapplying to?

I would. If you don't most will likely think that you didn't finish your app due to a lack of interest/motivation and that you are reapplying to them because you couldn't get in where you wanted to the first time. I was given that advice from an ex-Tulane adcom member.

I see. Thanks. The reason I didn't submit was because I realized I wasn't competitive enough for those schools

Reactions: 1 user