Are there still lifestyle specialties besides derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
?
There was no information in that post. Psychiatrists shouldn't do procedures ever.

At my institution, internists and neurologists don't do LPs. Only interventional rads does.

Members don't see this ad.

Somebody needs to program those stimulators and maintain them. And it's not going to be a neurosurgeon.

Wouldnt you want a neurologist programming the stimulator? I feel like it's more their area of expertise than psych's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldnt you want a neurologist programming the stimulator? I feel like it's more their area of expertise than psych's.

Sure, if it's being placed for a tremor. Psychiatrists manage psychiatric conditions...hence, the fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users
A majority of the psychiatrists I know NEED psychiatrists lmao

So do most of my colleagues in other specialties who have pissed away their lives in a hospital. Their children and ex spouses also tend to be my patients.

Reactions: 9 users
I've seen DBS adjusted by a neurologist. The guy was Movement Disorders and he had a morning full of PD patients in which he adjusted them all.

He accidentally turned one off once and slowly over the course of a minute a very pronounced tremor appeared. Once he put the original settings back it faded away. It was absolutely incredible and one of the moments that influenced my interest in neurology.

Last edited:
A majority of the psychiatrists I know NEED psychiatrists lmao
Your passive aggressive comment makes it pretty clear that you would certainly benefit from a psychiatric intervention. Although given you've only been a member for two years, you probably haven't had to choose a specialty yet, and are basing your opinion on the "vast" amount of experiences that you've accrued as a medical student.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry but I don't confuse the practice of medicine in real life with what goes into the computer.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry but I don't confuse the practice of medicine in real life with what goes into the computer.

Haha. Uh, ok. May medical school and residency provide you with a rude reality check.

Haha. Uh, ok. May medical school and residency provide you with a rude reality check.

I don't know what your deal is but I know a procedure when I see one. Putting cpt codes into a computer ain't it. Sorry about your inferiority complex though

I don't know what your deal is but I know a procedure when I see one. Putting cpt codes into a computer ain't it. Sorry about your inferiority complex though

Whatever you call it. It's often the RVUs that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Nontradv was not making a philosophical point about what constitutes a procedure. Before this post became "let's bash psychiatry," I believe the original post was about lifestyle. And in today's environment, *billable* procedures are an avenue to make increased compensation per time worked. Psychiatry is one field in which you are paid well per hours worked, and procedures are one of the many reasons, as nontradv points out. I think the fact that psychiatry provides for a good lifestyle is catching on, though. A lot of people did not match into psychiatry this cycle, and there were only about 6 unfilled spots nationwide. So if you aren't interested in psychiatry (based on your previous posts I'd advise against it for you), please don't apply, since a lot of people would like the opportunity to be in our field.

Sorry for your ignorance complex.

Reactions: 5 users
There is no psych bashing going on, stop with the tears. Also, I'm already in residency as can be easily be seen by glancing to the left side of your screen but maybe you didn't get around to doing it because it's not a billable "procedure"

https://www.controlyourpain.com/files/reimbursement/NM-45907-AD_2013 Medicare Physician QRG_FINAL.pdf

I don't see anything about it being a procedure but enjoy your 5 rvus.

Your credentials are as questionable as your comments. I hope you enjoy practicing utopian bush medicine.

You're an intern, just like me. Have you even done a psych rotation in residency yet? lmao

There is no psych bashing going on, stop with the tears. Also, I'm already in residency as can be easily be seen by glancing to the left side of your screen but maybe you didn't get around to doing it because it's not a billable "procedure"

https://www.controlyourpain.com/files/reimbursement/NM-45907-AD_2013 Medicare Physician QRG_FINAL.pdf

I don't see anything about it being a procedure but enjoy your 5 rvus.

Im pretty sure that anyone with a basic grasp of the English language would understand that "A majority of the psychiatrists I know NEED psychiatrists lmao" was meant as a bash. If you are in fact a physician, I am glad that you are not a psychiatrist, since having a good grasp of language is an essential part of our practice. Since I do have a life, thanks in part to my choice of profession, I'm going to sign off and enjoy the rest of my weekend. Good luck with your journey into understanding how compensation actually works in our country. I'm sorry that's something that your supposed residency never taught you.

"I'm going to sign off"

lmao bro please get help
Well done now go carve another notch into your wall of internet arguments won

Reactions: 6 users
Psai right now:

number-of-internet-arguments-ive-won.png

Reactions: 30 users
You should review your cpt codes carefully.

You are being pedantic with respect to semantics. The P in CPT is procedural, e.g. something happened. This can vary from a 12-hour spine fusion surgery, to a 30-minute diagnostic angiogram, to a 30-minute office visit, to 15-minutes of critical care time, etc. etc. When medical professionals describe their desire to do procedures, it is something that requires a direct patient interaction, utilizing instruments of various types, and often a knowledge of anatomy and sterile field. Programming pain pumps and electrode pulse generators, while having an independent CPT code, are no more a procedure than changing a patient's insulin sliding scale.

Reactions: 3 users
Too many sensitive people on SDN, in medical school, and in medicine.

Your guys' patients are the real MVPs for dealin' with y'all.

Last edited:
Your passive aggressive comment makes it pretty clear that you would certainly benefit from a psychiatric intervention. Although given you've only been a member for two years, you probably haven't had to choose a specialty yet, and are basing your opinion on the "vast" amount of experiences that you've accrued as a medical student.

I certainly agree with you. I definitely do need a psychiatric evaluation.

All I need to say is that if you don't truly love the field... you will become miserable and possibly even need your OWN mental evaluation and help before you can assist with doing the same for others.

All these med students seeing the lifestyle before anything become disillusioned and become miserable over time.

Choose something that you can put up with the 80% of bull**** that comes with it.... not the 20% that is amazing.

Psai right now:

number-of-internet-arguments-ive-won.png

Oh come on! Let's give him/her some credit. Psai matched into dermatology, so at least you could have posted one with a little less acne!

I don't understand why somebody who "got out" by matching into dermatology still comes around to post in these lifestyle threads. I have a feeling it's for continued external validation of their perceived superiority by medical students who don't know any better! (just kidding, sort of!)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh come on! Let's give him/her some credit. Psai matched into dermatology, so at least you could have posted one with a little less acne!

I don't understand why somebody who "got out" by matching into dermatology still comes around to post in these lifestyle threads. I have a feeling it's for continued external validation of their perceived superiority by medical students who don't know any better! (just kidding, sort of!)

Bruh... chill.

Psai's not in derm.

I'm pretty sure the guy is in Gas. Are you bashing Derm now by saying anyone who goes into the field is looking to "get out" of medicine?

What is more cush nowadays: anesthesiology or diagnostic radiology?

The only sensible answer that could be given is if you're referring to the cush of a chair, in that case, rads obviously know their chair game is strong

Reactions: 3 users

Anesthesia is cush if you do mommy track or are a CRNA.

Don't do medicine if you are a premed and expect to make bank without putting the work in. Save yourself.

Do the CRNA route.

Anesthesia is cush if you do mommy track or are a CRNA.

Don't do medicine if you are a premed and expect to make bank without putting the work in. Save yourself.

Do the CRNA route.

There is an active thread over on the gas forum talking about mommy-track jobs working 40 hrs/wk M-F with minimal call burden and doing some your own cases for ~300k. I can only assume salaries rise to the 500k+ "MGMA-average" levels if you supervise a lot of CRNAs and grind it out for 60+ hrs/week.

To be honest, why is anesthesia even considered a lifestyle specialty? It really is not.

shhh.. if fools want to be fools you let them be fools.

ANYWAYs...

Yeahhh.. Gas truly IS the definition of lifestyle.

Make a gajillion bucks... no call... no liability... no fear of being replaced.

;)

To be honest, why is anesthesia even considered a lifestyle specialty? It really is not.

I think like Radiology it was a decent lifestyle and high salary back in the day and since then it has faced a lot more issues and challenges.

But yeah, hard to consider it a lifestyle specialty in 2016

If physician-assisted suicide was a specialty, it would obviously have the best lifestyle. No follow-ups or rounding on patients...

Volume is going way up in radiology, and you're expected to read super fast all day with almost no breaks (not to mention sitting all day, which is "the new smoking" in terms of health effects).

I am a radiologist. I make $$$ for each study that I read. I've figured out how to use voice macros and templates to create a report for almost any patient in 15 seconds. I work at night from 10 PM to 7 AM. I work 7 days on, and 7 days off. I make more than almost any of my friends. I think I have the best job ever.

Reactions: 7 users
I am a radiologist. I make $$$ for each study that I read. I've figured out how to use voice macros and templates to create a report for almost any patient in 15 seconds. I work at night from 10 PM to 7 AM. I work 7 days on, and 7 days off. I make more than almost any of my friends. I think I have the best job ever.
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes...

That's an awesome schedule. Are jobs like these just advertised or did you have to negotiate it?

Doesn't sound that bad to me. You're awake and free to do stuff with others who have a 9-5 schedule. Can sleep from 8-4pm. Use your free time until 9 or so. Of course I have no actual experience doing this but in theory it doesn't sound too bad, especially if only doing it 1 week on/off.