Are there pulm jobs that are only inpatient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyDocMan1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Outpatient pulm is fine but often boring (rising numbers of PCPs too lazy to manage basic asthma/COPD or order follow-up CTs for tiny lung nodules) and dealing with inbasket messages etc is a pain in the butt compared to the shift work model of consults and ICU.

If I want no outpatient pulm at all after fellowship am I limited pretty much to an intensivist-only career or is there a good job market for a MICU/pulm consults/procedures type of gig?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes , all sorts of jobs out there, more so for people ready to take ICU calls

Outpatient pulm is fine but often boring (rising numbers of PCPs too lazy to manage basic asthma/COPD or order follow-up CTs for tiny lung nodules) and dealing with inbasket messages etc is a pain in the butt compared to the shift work model of consults and ICU.

If I want no outpatient pulm at all after fellowship am I limited pretty much to an intensivist-only career or is there a good job market for a MICU/pulm consults/procedures type of gig?

Ha! We are actually looking for a pulm BC/BE Intensivist for only in patient work (round/admit on the icu and see pulmonary consults).

I don’t know if you are still in training or not right now but that easy COPD and Nodule consult in the clinic are super awesome. I’d love a whole day filled with that stuff.