Are there any solid stats in what percentage of IM residents go into subspeciality fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say, maybe within 3-5 years of completing residency, if you want to account for those who take "gap" time between residency and fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The match process releases data on this but you would probably have to do the legwork yourself (which would be easy but time consuming).

In 2019 ABIM issued 9000 new specialty (core IM) certificates and 6000 new subspecialty certificates. I don't know if this helps you.

1629400534138.png

1629400564382.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The above matches up with interest surveys I have seen for the begining of IM residency. Its around 60-70%. It used to be higher, but I think the expansion of residency combined with hospitalist jobs becoming more desirable with pay and 7on/off has made more people not pursue fellowship.

All that said. Its nice to have options. I will probably be applying to fellowship, but as my interest is in a lower paying specialty theres a good argument for just doing primary care or hospitalist. If I did primary it would have to be private practice or a really streamlined employer. The extra 'authorization' paperwork is just too much nonsense for me to be filling out otherwise.

That’s what a well trained MA is for…
Which is what you have in private practice, and what the mbas cut out when your employed. Hence my comment about working for a private practice or decent employer only.

Which is what you have in private practice, and what the mbas cut out when your employed. Hence my comment about working for a private practice or decent employer only.
disagree, MBAs also know that spending time seeing patients makes more money than running prior auths. I'm at a county hospital for my specialty clinic and I've done like 4 peer to peers over my entire fellowship. I've never done a prior auth.

Frankly, if you want to be a PCP, it's a buyers market, you can walk away from places that won't give you the support you need. If you don't like one group's offer, walk across the street to see what they offer.

Reactions: 2 users
The numbers are very interesting. I didn't realize that we were pumping out as many or more interventional cardiologists as we are endo, ID, nephro, and rheum.

Common to IC doing a significant amount of general cardiology especially in desirable locations.

Worth taking these numbers into consideration when selecting a specialty.

Does taking a hospitalist position out of residency for a couple years greatly reduce chances of matching into fellowship? Honestly had no idea that was even an option.

Does taking a hospitalist position out of residency for a couple years greatly reduce chances of matching into fellowship? Honestly had no idea that was even an option.
Should be fine as long as you stay on top of research and lors

disagree, MBAs also know that spending time seeing patients makes more money than running prior auths. I'm at a county hospital for my specialty clinic and I've done like 4 peer to peers over my entire fellowship. I've never done a prior auth.

Frankly, if you want to be a PCP, it's a buyers market, you can walk away from places that won't give you the support you need. If you don't like one group's offer, walk across the street to see what they offer.
Ever heard of a non-compete? (Theoretically what could be preventing some individuals, although I hear many are becoming ‘unenforceable’)

Ever heard of a non-compete? (Theoretically what could be preventing some individuals, although I hear many are becoming ‘unenforceable’)
The key part is in the job search and getting **** into writing. If you have it in writing that you'll have a PA team and MA and they don't provide that, you can get a breach of contract and walk.