Are there any non-accreditated Oncology fellowships that are worth doing after a hem/onc fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mestre_dc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any non-accreditated Oncology fellowships that are worth doing after a hem/onc fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

BMT and cellular therapies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMT and cellular therapies?

Are they worth it?
Those in MD Anderson, MSK, Mayo Clinic.

For example, the advanced Oncology Fellowship in Mayo Clinic, would it bring me any advantage when applying for an academic job?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not interested in academia so I don’t know the answer to that. A choice between Academia vs. non academic — I chose to be catching up on many years of lost income from med school residency and fellowship.

I’m not interested in academia so I don’t know the answer to that. A choice between Academia vs. non academic — I chose to be catching up on many years of lost income from med school residency and fellowship.

Thanks Metaform!
Any input @gutonc ?

Thanks Metaform!
Any input @gutonc ?
Depends on your goals. It's getting harder to get tenure track, clinical research positions at good academic programs these days so if that's what you want to do, it might help and probably won't hurt anything but your bank account.

But if you just want to get a job treating patients (even in academia), it's not necessary. The one caveat IMO to that would be neuro-onc. There's so much we don't learn about imaging, management of neuro SEs (of cancer and treatment) that I think a neuro-onc advanced fellowship is almost mandatory if you're interested in that field.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm considering HCT fellowships as I want to do HCT and feel that my clinical HCT training thus far is insufficient for independent practice. My fellowship program has offered a generic 4th year for research and to structure around transplant if I so wished, but I think that is less optimal than a formal program as I can't say that I did a transplant fellowship (for the purposes of job search).

Would a generic 4th year be an acceptable option though for HCT job search? I think it's another year on a trainee's salary and does not come with the "HCT fellowship" line that I can put on my CV, so I'm not too wild about it.

I think that a transplant fellowship (for those truly committed to that HCT life) is a good choice these days. Doing an actual real one (rather than a generic 4th year with extra transplant experience) is a good choice as well. This is primarily because it will get you more/different exposure and may actually beef up your CV.

If, OTOH, you just want to maybe do a few autos on the side, it (and a 4th year in general) is just a waste of time.

Reactions: 1 user