Are There Any Indians Out There? Please Respond To This Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragneel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO
I DONT SEEE MANY INDIAN MEDICO OR DOCTORS AS ONE OUGHT TO SEE. WHATS GOIN WRONG. considering the fact that 40% of doctors in UNITED STATES are INDIADS
P-LEASE ALL U INDIANS STAYING WHEREVER U ARE. PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS FORUM.

Members don't see this ad.

That's because you are so wrong with the figures. There are about 35,000 doctors of Indian origin in the US among the total of 700,000 which puts the figure at around 5% and nowhere near 40%. What did you specifically want from Indians?

Members don't see this ad :)
He probably thought fmgs.
Anyway , i read the statistic somewhere that 1 in 10 med students in the US are children of indian immigrants.

I am indian, not a doctor yet though.

There was an email doing rounds some time back which stated some high figure.. 'Twas 20% as far as I remember..

Oh btw.. Me doctor from India, planning for residency in US..

Long Hair and a Beard said:
There was an email doing rounds some time back which stated some high figure.. 'Twas 20% as far as I remember..

Oh btw.. Me doctor from India, planning for residency in US..

Cool. What does ur name stand for? Are u Sikh?

No I am not Sikh.. I doubt if a Sikh will ever like to call himself by that name..

I am just a guy.. with long hair and a beard.. or at least used to be when I took up this name..

Do indians need to stand up and be counted?Well am proud to be one anyway.Is there anyway we could all get together and talk over issues that affect us directly?
I was thinking of the same post when I chanced to see it.Indians for Indians

I am in favor of this quackdoc. Let us share our experiences. I am sure we can provide a lot of info to each other.

Hey dude, about 40-50% of the Indians in the US are doctors. I am on my way to become one as well ;)
Just chill. Go to a med school haha :smuggrin:

Premedtomed said:
Hey dude, about 40-50% of the Indians in the US are doctors. I am on my way to become one as well ;)
Just chill. Go to a med school haha :smuggrin:

Are u kidding? No where near are 40-50% of the indians in the US are doctors. But they are certainly highly represented in the field compared to their representation in the US population.

ok May be I was exaggerating, but then it is not less than 30%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedtomed said:
ok May be I was exaggerating, but then it is not less than 30%.

All FMG together make up about 40% of the physicians in this country.

Hey why don't you guys introduce yourselves?

My real name's Siddharth, I am a US resident NRI haha not NRAI (been here since May'99 after S.S.C. exams -10th grade board exams) I am hoping to get a decent score on the MCAT.

Premedtomed said:
Hey why don't you guys introduce yourselves?

My real name's Siddharth, I am a US resident NRI haha not NRAI (been here since May'99 after S.S.C. exams -10th grade board exams) I am hoping to get a decent score on the MCAT.

Cool, i ll be taking the MCATs in august also. My name is Nirmeet and a student at UC berkeley. Lived in the US my whole life, have visited india a few times.

NRAI2001 said:
Cool, i ll be taking the MCATs in august also. My name is Nirmeet and a student at UC berkeley. Lived in the US my whole life, have visited india a few times.

Hey actually I just took the MCAT I should have put expecting a decent MCAT score my fault. Anyways I live in good ole Kentucky Don't ask why :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
Hey actually I just took the MCAT I should have put expecting a decent MCAT score my fault. Anyways I live in good ole Kentucky Don't ask why :laugh:

Why? :laugh:

NRAI2001 said:
aah dude, I lived with my cousin for a year in Jackson, MI. His parents are doctors , he will be attending NYU med school this August. I just had to act silly first year, you know. My parents were in Middle East then, so I had to live with my parents the next year for 12th grade. It was fun studying at the The AMerican INTL. School of Muscat. My borther was in Northern KY as my other aunt lives there as well. That is how I got stuck here. But I am close of Cincinnati and get to watch South Park and be in a fraternity so life's good :D

if you're counting... i'm another one....

Hyderabad and New Orleans... you?

Mumbai and Northern Kentucky :( Horrible isn't it?
I always wanted to meet Hyderabadis :D
I might go to Hyderabad one day

Northern Kentucky.... close to the ohio border? I guess you fly Delta from that airport to India? I flew in to that Cincinatti/Northern Kentucky airport once....

Dramkinola said:
Northern Kentucky.... close to the ohio border? I guess you fly Delta from that airport to India? I flew in to that Cincinatti/Northern Kentucky airport once....
yup :cool:

Dramkinola said:

lol........

hi!
this forum had created not for quibbling over statistics, though it can be done some a time :) this is primarily 2 adress the issues or problems facing indian pre meds and meds. there is no denying the fact that that indians play a crucial role in american medicine.
we have our own unique set of problems and this we have 2 adress.

bye.

ragneel said:
hi!
this forum had created not for quibbling over statistics, though it can be done some a time :) this is primarily 2 adress the issues or problems facing indian pre meds and meds. there is no denying the fact that that indians play a crucial role in american medicine.
we have our own unique set of problems and this we have 2 adress.

bye.
Well dude I cannot really thinkg of any major issues besides the high risk of coronay heart disease among us (not sure if it is due to our genetic disposition or diet)
Expecting an interesting feedback

CAD in Indians is more due to genetic factors. I think we have a very balanced diet. If we compare it to american diet, our food is more healthy.
The excessive amount of cheese and fat is all over the news. No wonder Atkins made a lot of money.

IMGforNeuro said:
CAD in Indians is more due to genetic factors. I think we have a very balanced diet. If we compare it to american diet, our food is more healthy.
The excessive amount of cheese and fat is all over the news. No wonder Atkins made a lot of money.

I have never really cooked Indian food myself, but doesn't Indian food have a lot of oil and butter?

Far less calorie than pizza and burgers.
Actually depends, many people add extra ghee, otherwise it is very balanced.
But pizzas, burgers etc are loaded with cheese, mayonaise etc; actually loaded with calories. You will find many people who are otherwise in proper physical shape, but having high cholesterol and triglycerides. The diet in america is very atherogenic. Of course many are obese too, causing an epidemic of vascular dis and cancer. It is only now that they are taking public health measures. It was on CNN , that the blood pressure of kids in the US has increased, mainly due to obesity, placing them at a high risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney dis and diabetes.

I am in pretty good shape, played football and baseball in HS, 3 years ago, but I still try to workout atleast a few times a week. I don't look fat at all, I have a normal BP but I have high cholestrol. I alway thought it was attributed to all the oil and butter in indian diets.

NRAI2001 said:
I am in pretty good shape, played football and baseball in HS, 3 years ago, but I still try to workout atleast a few times a week. I don't look fat at all, I have a normal BP but I have high cholestrol. I alway thought it was attributed to all the oil and butter in indian diets.
Even one of my US born female cousins has High Cholestrol. She takes good care of herself. I guess genetic factors could be responsible in her case as well as yours

hi!
its more because we indians r so much after our career before marriage and wife so much after us after marriage that we never get 2 take care of ourselves :confused: . did i forget 2 mention about money everywher between marriage and wife.
its not that we indians cant but its that we dont.

hi!
the above reply is especially for premed 2med.

ragneel said:
hi!
its more because we indians r so much after our career before marriage and wife so much after us after marriage that we never get 2 take care of ourselves :confused: . did i forget 2 mention about money everywher between marriage and wife.
its not that we indians cant but its that we dont.

hahahaha :laugh:

So why have people stopped coming up with issues to talk about?

What about improving health care in India? Compared to the developed nations, Indian govt. spends little to no money on doing surveys about health issues in India. Doctors rarely go to rural areas. Very little incentive for private sector to invest in hospitals.

This message is for IMG. Dude are you really going to tell me that indian food is healthier? Come on, the only reason Indians are not as obese is because of quantity control (which is largely brought on not because of iron willed self-control as much as their economic limitations). Anyways, I don't think economy is a limitation anymore, proved by the many fast-food joints popping up every which way you look. So, hold off on the samosas and jilebis cause Indians are right at America's heels, heading straight for obesity.

If you eat fast food everyday, you are consuming unhealthy food. The daily diet of people in india is not samosa and jalebi, it is daal, roti sabzi in north india and sambar,idli or dosa in south india. There are lots of foods which are more rich, but are party foods.
In america the staple food includes beef( red meat - atherogenic). Children in schools eat burgers and fries (loaded with fat) everyday. Most pizzas are loaded with calories and cholesterol. It is what you eat everyday that affects your health, not what you eat occasionally.
I am not saying indians have self will to eat healthy food. It is just that the foods have more vegetables and fiber. If they start consuming westen diets everyday they will also have the same problems. Other easter foods- thai, jap, chinese are also healthy because of more vegetables and also sea food.
Healthcare in india needs a tremendous facelift.
There is a need for infrastructure building. This does not include hospitals alone. There is almost no health insurance, which impedes rural health care. It is only now that health insurance policies are being offered, but are still confined to cities.
India produces a large number of doctors every year. But they cannot go to rural areas because of lack of incentive. Most of them are highly skilled and qualified. After years of hard work, everyone wants to earn a decent living. People in rural areas do not and many times cannot pay enough for their health care. So urban areas are supersaturated with doctors causing tremendous competition while rural areas have almost none. Health insurance in the US is a major cause of good health services.
Who can pay $ 200,000 for a coronary bypass surg. But insurance takes care of such issues.
I feel if there is a viable health insurance in India, which is also availed by the people on a big scale, it will provide a lot of incentive for doctors, hospitals and health care providers. The market of healthcare in India is unparalled. No other country barring China has so many patients. Just like telecom, which has boomed beyond proportions, health care can be a big money spinner, provided some legal changes are made. As of now, every inch of the country is connected by telecom(mobile phones) and services are offered at throw away prices, health care is waiting for legislation. There is no dearth of business corporations.
One legal change would be to provide tax incentives to insurance companies to provide health insurance policies in the rural sector.
Numerous economic policy changes have led to good results and the results on the Indian economy is for everyone to see.

Even people like me (living in the US) are very interested in helping out somehow. Only if Govt. makes it easier for the Private sector to jump in.

Also, if the govt. pays more attn. to primary education now that we have really awesome schools, we will be able to improve literacy rate and as a result the awareness among people about health issues.

I read somewhere that it will be around 75% by 2005. I am willing to spend dollars when I really start making money to improve literacy and health related education and healthcare itself.

I have my fingers crossed. Hope we as Indians can form politically, socially active groups about this situation no matter where we live. :thumbup:

Hi!
This is Adi, a 3rd yr med student frm India.
Guys, is it true that indians who get through the usmle don't get competetive residencies like surg., paeds etc?
Also, heard that we r not given residencies in the good hosps.
I am deciding on whether to appear usmle/plab and am really confused.
Plz respond.

hi Adi,
peds is easy to get into, it is not competitive. Surgical fields (very very difficult) , rads, ortho , ent ,ophth not possible.
Most important is working in US ( trying to get published or most importantly get l etters of recommendation from US prtofessors). Otherwise firstly it is difficult, secondly residency will be in a bad place or not so good hosp.
They want US experience or exposure to US medicine and preferably US letter of rec. If you get a publication all the more good. Without these you will be able to get into a community hospital in a not so good place. To get into a univ based hosp , you have to do the above and sweat it out.
PLAB: For any foreign doc i would say US is the best. It is easier to get into UK but extremely difficult to move up to registrar. Many of my friends there are having a tough uncertain time. Many foreign med students from UK come to the US.

Adi frm India said:
Hi!
This is Adi, a 3rd yr med student frm India.
Guys, is it true that indians who get through the usmle don't get competetive residencies like surg., paeds etc?
Also, heard that we r not given residencies in the good hosps.
I am deciding on whether to appear usmle/plab and am really confused.
Plz respond.

Both Peds & Surgery are gettable.You have to get kickass scores.Rest all stuff follow these.I got a friend who matched into Uro ...so there you are...Btw..peds is not that big a deal.
Btw,do your rotations sincerely and then decide what you wanna do..Get those kickass scores as of now...
Cheers!

Surgery is still not very gettable. The 80 hour work week regulation has made surgery again very competitive because of the large number of applications from US grads. In this yrs match there were just 2 vacancies for categorical positions, all the others were for prelim. With the 80 hr rule there will be few drop outs from categorical, so moving from prelim to categ is all the more difficult now. I would not count on surg. If someone is willing to take the risk then it is fine, but odds are not in favor as of now.

im a dentist from india here to get my dds if the count is still on

How is everyone doing?

For the count...

I'm a 22 yo pre-med who just graduated from USC in southern california. I'm currently applying... I had a question for anyone who would like to respond...

As an Indian pre-med, it is often very difficult to maintain your own identity. What I mean is... I am automatically labeled as another "Indian doctor." But in reality, I have a lot of different motivations for selecting my career choice and I hate to be stereotyped as choosing something just because "I'm supposed to." Has anybody else overcome this... meaning.... what do u all do to maintain a unique identity aside from your career... lol.. maybe this is just an issue for the ABCDs!

Thanks everyone and hooray for this forum

FYI according to the Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) there are 35,000 physicians in the United States of Indian origin. According to the AMA there are approximately 700,000 physicians in the nation, of which Indians constitute 5% of the workforce.

MD Rapper said:
How is everyone doing?

For the count...

I'm a 22 yo pre-med who just graduated from USC in southern california. I'm currently applying... I had a question for anyone who would like to respond...

As an Indian pre-med, it is often very difficult to maintain your own identity. What I mean is... I am automatically labeled as another "Indian doctor." But in reality, I have a lot of different motivations for selecting my career choice and I hate to be stereotyped as choosing something just because "I'm supposed to." Has anybody else overcome this... meaning.... what do u all do to maintain a unique identity aside from your career... lol.. maybe this is just an issue for the ABCDs!

Thanks everyone and hooray for this forum

No offense, be an agressive a** hole dude, c'mon we as Indians rule, be proud of it. Don't give a damn what people have to say. I am always pushing my cousins to reach higher goals. C'mon seriously, your question was weak dude very weak.

Premedtomed said:
No offense, be an agressive a** hole dude, c'mon we as Indians rule, be proud of it. Don't give a damn what people have to say. I am always pushing my cousins to reach higher goals. C'mon seriously, your question was weak dude very weak.

Lol...Hey man! I hear what you're saying.. maybe I just need to stop thinking about stupid **** like that so much... thanks for the response.. hey, I've seen you on a lot of forums, you always have good responses for people... hope all is well man