Are there any child psych programs that do therapy training using ear pieces with live guidance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milan95

Reaction score
CHOP does this, curious about others. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never seen it, child or otherwise. I'm not sure why this would be a child specific thing if it was to be done.

Never seen it, child or otherwise. I'm not sure why this would be a child specific thing if it was to be done.
I had this during residency for a couples therapy elective. It's more time-intensive for the supervisor but was definitely the best therapy supervision I got. You get live feedback as you're doing therapy. Covid happened and we ended up using zoom and that was actually even better, I'd get text feedback in real time.

Reactions: 1 user
This happens at some programs in clinical psychology, from what I've heard. Its not the norm but its not unusual. When I was training my sups said this kind of thing happened a few decades ago with live phone calls into sessions from people behind the glass. Obviously, we don't do that anymore, and this seems better.

Oh I hadn't thought about live zoom supervision with text, that would be cool! And sounds a heck of a lot less confusing than in ear supervision since you'd be responding to different modalities. It's also less...voices in your head. I've only EVER seen asynchronous video reviews for supervision personally. Any of this live stuff would be extremely time intensive for attendings.

Given that in-ear supervision is a type of therapy for children/parents, it certainly does make sense to consider that type of supervision in CAP. I personally don't think I would be overly concerned about finding this in a fellowship unless a prospective fellow was very interested in young child psychotherapy (which is a teeny tiny portion of CAP fellows).

Oh I hadn't thought about live zoom supervision with text, that would be cool! And sounds a heck of a lot less confusing than in ear supervision since you'd be responding to different modalities. It's also less...voices in your head. I've only EVER seen asynchronous video reviews for supervision personally. Any of this live stuff would be extremely time intensive for attendings.

Yeah, zoom text supervision was the best. Initially, my supervisor was a slow typist but then he figured out text to speech so it was as close to real-time feedback as possible.

I had this during residency for a couples therapy elective. It's more time-intensive for the supervisor but was definitely the best therapy supervision I got. You get live feedback as you're doing therapy. Covid happened and we ended up using zoom and that was actually even better, I'd get text feedback in real time.
what was the advantage over reviewing video of sessions? I'm imagining this would be distracting during a session and make it harder to feel present (and also learn to tolerate moments of ambiguity like periods of silence).

what was the advantage over reviewing video of sessions? I'm imagining this would be distracting during a session and make it harder to feel present (and also learn to tolerate moments of ambiguity like periods of silence).
I never got much out of reviewing video of sessions aftewards. Maybe it's just how I learn; even for Step 1, I preferred doing UWorld on tutor mode and get feedback after each question rather than do a block of questions and go over the answers afterwards.

Certainly didn't find it distracting. Again though, I'm of a generation that's used to having two screens open when doing things. I liked getting feedback in the moment, "Great job asking x" or "You're becoming too cerebral, focus more on the emotions." Getting real-time feedback that I could incorporate immediately is far better for me than showing a video a week later.