Employment & Professional Networking Are the Jobs for OTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I don't get into OT program I was thinking about doing OTA. I've been hearing there is no jobs for OTAs. Is this true. I have a bachelors degree in health service management and I'm not working in my career field because its hard to get a job in Wichita.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if I don't get into OT program I was thinking about doing OTA. I've been hearing there is no jobs for OTAs. Is this true. I have a bachelors degree in health service management and I'm not working in my career field because its hard to get a job in Wichita.
This is partially true, I have volunteered under some OTAs who shared some incite on this matter and I also conducted some personal research, if you are in a smaller state such as one in the midwest or what not then yes OTA jobs are very limited and can be difficult to find, in bigger states (and by bigger I mean population), such as Texas, Florida, California there are some OTA jobs to go around if you thoroughly look. If you don't mind working in SNFs then it becomes a little easier to find a job because there are several that NEED them. The SNF I was at had the OTAs swamped in work and they appreciated my aid. One of the OTAs told me and showed me that she still from time to time gets letters from companies all over the place looking for OTAs. The main issue is hours..... The ones I volunteered with were in a good spot and got to be full-time but from what I was told its becoming more and more common to see OTAs given only part-time hours so you may want to consider PRN for a couple spots so you can make a decent living. If you go OTA and eventually aspire to be OT I believe it can be safe option if you put a lot into it, the ones I volunteered with had been at it for years so they were getting paid on the higher end of an OTAs earning potential. You may have to consider relocating however to find work which is also becoming common for OTAs, at the end of day certain companies (such as SNFs) sometimes can't afford to have a bunch of OTs and still have a boatload for them to do so having an OTA can be beneficial for everyone and save money...........

During my observation, I watch an OTA for 30 mins at the Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon. She did daily hand exercises and was basically a nurse carrying out dressing, bathing, etc ... My son was in ESD and the OT had a big case load- an OTA would implement some of the OTR's recommendations. There are jobs. I know here in Portland, they come up a lot. I do the bulk of my observation at the local children's hospital- there are no OTAs. I think that the jobs are more in - nursing homes, school district, private clinics, rehabilitation. I did look into OTA bridge to MOT. I just would end up spending more, taking more years.