Are surgical residency hours really that much worse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No. But you seem like a pretty honest, upstanding guy. So I'm absolutely CERTAIN that you put similar sentiments into your personal statement, right?

Everyone knows that it's important to have a life outside of medicine. I barely know ANY doctor who wants to spend every waking moment in the hospital..

Vhawk, I know very well you have lots of obligations outside of medicine. I don't get why it's ever a big deal that the majority of your colleagues hate being overworked, or having to stay for long periods of time. As you very well know, after residency, people like to have schedules that tailor to their lifestyle and successful career. After all, medicine doesn't consume everyone's lives. You agree that medicine is never a 24/7 job :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I keep seeing lots of smiley faces and assertions from you. But very little in the way of cogent rational arguments. No, in fact I DON'T agree that medicine is "never a 24/7" job. Most of my mentors and the people I look up to are essentially ALWAYS available to their patients. I havent turned my pager off in 4 years. I'm actually just a little surprised you seem to be incapable of imagining that not everyone feels the way that you do. Sure, I enjoy my days off. Sure, I have interests outside of medicine. But I have a hard time imagining the scenario in which I would value any of those things over the wellbeing of my patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep seeing lots of smiley faces and assertions from you. But very little in the way of cogent rational arguments. No, in fact I DON'T agree that medicine is "never a 24/7" job. Most of my mentors and the people I look up to are essentially ALWAYS available to their patients. I havent turned my pager off in 4 years. I'm actually just a little surprised you seem to be incapable of imagining that not everyone feels the way that you do.

Why don't you agree, out of curiousity? After all, doctors aren't supposed to work every second of their life, that would make 99% of current medical students drop out in SECONDS haha...

Why don't you agree, out of curiousity? After all, doctors aren't supposed to work every second of their life, that would make 99% of current medical students drop out in SECONDS haha...

No, it wouldnt. It might drop the number of applicants from 100/spot to 60/spot though

Not really, you are overestimating things. Tell them they have to work every hour every week and EVERYBODY would drop out...and find others way to make the $$ they desire.

After all, both of us know that most med students HATE surgeons who force them to work insane hours...it drives them away from those specialties to more lifestyle stuff that make them 100x happy.

Not really, you are overestimating things. Tell them they have to work every hour every week and EVERYBODY would drop out...and find others way to make the $$ they desire.

I dont know what to tell you other than "no." I mean do you think human nature changes on the order of decades? How do you think we were able to recruit doctors for the entire history of medicine up until the last 15 years?

No one ACTUALLY works 24/7. But some of us are not appalled at the idea of being available to our patients whenever they need us, and some of us are not offended by the idea of putting the needs of others above our own.

Cause those docs like medicine, realize it's a JOB, love money, etc. etc.

Medicine is a JOB, a J to the O to the B! Weeee

What are you talking about? When all of the work hour restrictions were implemented, the pretext was always that these poor, overworked residents were hurting patients. Do you know who Libby Zion is?

So you want me to believe that we should change work hours to protect the poor overworked residents, EVEN IF it is shown that it does not benefit patients in any way? So the end goal is purely to make life better for trainees?

If patient outcomes are no worse off now with work hour restrictions, than when there were no work hour restrictions at all, then I think that's a win for the work hour restriction side. Do you actually think that a mistake avoided bc the resident isn't exhausted will be reported? You seem to be just as megalomaniacal as your avatar portrays.

If patient outcomes are no worse off now with work hour restrictions, than when there were no work hour restrictions at all, then I think that's a win for the work hour restriction side. Do you actually think that a mistake avoided bc the resident isn't exhausted will be reported? You seem to be just as megalomaniacal as your avatar portrays.

Why is it a win? What outcome is improved or optimized? Resident happiness? And talk about your all-time goalpost shifts. When these changes were proposed, if they had been proposed on the basis of "Sure, this wont actually help patients at all, but it sure will increase the hours that residents can spend playing Xbox!" they would have been laughed out of every forum in which they were discussed.

Instead, they were purported to be essential to the safety of patients, which has been a huge dud as far as evidence goes.

Why is it a win? What outcome is improved or optimized? Resident happiness?

If the training quality doesn't suffer, which I know you think it does, but I don't know that it's objectively evident, would looking out for the wellbeing of residents be so bad? It seems like you disdain the very notion.

Reactions: 1 users
And if you want to be strictly adherent to evidence, none of the studies were designed to detect if patients were actually WORSE off. They were designed to show whether patient outcomes were better, and they failed to do so. It is conceivable patients are in fact worse off. Handoffs are VERY VERY BAD.

I keep seeing lots of smiley faces and assertions from you. But very little in the way of cogent rational arguments. No, in fact I DON'T agree that medicine is "never a 24/7" job. Most of my mentors and the people I look up to are essentially ALWAYS available to their patients. I havent turned my pager off in 4 years. I'm actually just a little surprised you seem to be incapable of imagining that not everyone feels the way that you do. Sure, I enjoy my days off. Sure, I have interests outside of medicine. But I have a hard time imagining the scenario in which I would value any of those things over the wellbeing of my patients.

Any wonder why so many surgeons have such high divorce rates, piss-poor happiness in their lives, etc. Please feel free to make yourself "always available" to your patients and be in the hospital 24/7 - and you'll be rewarded with ever decreasing reimbursement for your dedication. Indeed, no good deed goes unpunished.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the training quality doesn't suffer, which I know you think it does, but I don't know that it's objectively evident, would looking out for the wellbeing of residents be so bad? It seems like you disdain the very notion.

If ceteris is LITERALLY paribus, then sure. But I dont see how anyone who has actually spent any time in a surgery residency program could suggest that that is the case.

And the trend is that knowledge base (as evidenced by standardized metrics) suffers.

Any wonder why so many surgeons have such high divorce rates, piss-poor happiness in their lives, etc. Please feel free to make yourself "always available" to your patients and be in the hospital 24/7 - and you'll be rewarded with ever decreasing reimbursement for your dedication. Indeed, no good deed goes unpunished.

No, I dont wonder.

Yeah, I don't get that part either. Happiness is never a bad thing! After all, residents aren't supposed to spend their lives in misery! There is such thing as being trained to take care of patients AND have a big cheesy smile on that face!

It is cheesy though with the "putting patients needs above your own". I mean, none of us here are THAT important. None. You don't need to be available 24/7. Handoff your patients once in a while vhawk. Spend time with your amazing wife and 2 kids and that adorable puppy :D

Why is it a win? What outcome is improved or optimized? Resident happiness? And talk about your all-time goalpost shifts. When these changes were proposed, if they had been proposed on the basis of "Sure, this wont actually help patients at all, but it sure will increase the hours that residents can spend playing Xbox!" they would have been laughed out of every forum in which they were discussed.

Instead, they were purported to be essential to the safety of patients, which has been a huge dud as far as evidence goes.

Let me try to explain it a little more slowly to you.

Let's take Group A Surgery Residents without any work hour restrictions with Patient Outcomes A.
Now Let's take Group B Surgery Residents with work hour restrictiosn with Patient Outcomes B.

If Patient Outcomes B, is NO WORSE than Patient Outcomes A - then it's a WIN, with the added benefit of resident happiness. It would be a different scenario if Patient Outcomes B was WORSE than Patient Outcomes A. Get it?

Yeah, I don't get that part either. Happiness is never a bad thing! After all, residents aren't supposed to spend their lives in misery! There is such thing as being trained to take care of patients AND have a big cheesy smile on that face!

It is cheesy though with the "putting patients needs above your own". I mean, none of us here are THAT important. None. You don't need to be available 24/7. Handoff your patients once in a while vhawk. Spend time with your amazing wife and 2 kids and that adorable puppy :D

Put that on your website, I'm sure you will be beating the patients off with a stick. More accurately, when your wife is sick and needs care, tell me what you think when your doctor comes in with that speech.

Let me try to explain it a little more slowly to you.
Let's take Group A Surgery Residents without any work hour restrictions with Patient Outcomes A.
Now Let's take Group B Surgery Residents with work hour restrictiosn with Patient Outcomes B.
If Patient Outcomes B, is NO WORSE than Patient Outcomes A - then it's a WIN, with the added benefit of resident happiness. It would be a different scenario if Patient Outcomes B was WORSE than Patient Outcomes A. Get it?

No?

No, I dont wonder.

Then don't expect everyone to be a glutton for punishment, in your pitiful attempt to be hailed as a martyr. You won't be praised by your patients, and you definitely won't be praised by the rest of us in other specialties.

Try saying YES once in a while. Doesn't it make you feel a nice tingly sensation? :D

Vhawk is the only person here who thinks it's ok/cool to be on 24/7. He doesn't realize 99% of current med students disagree and would laugh at his face.

Case in point, all med students would roll their eyes if they are told they need to be available to their patients all the time.

Well, if you still are not able to understand it, then there is no helping you, and even more indicative of General Surgery having to scrape from the bottom of the barrel for applicants.

One can see where vhawk is coming from. Surgeons should be able to be surgeons if they want to. No one should be able to take that away from them, especially without good reason. If I were to go into surgery, I certainly wouldn't want to be in a position where I want to be more involved but some legal/bureaucratic BS prevents my doing so and thus my training ends up being compromised.

Well, if you still are not able to understand it, then there is no helping you, and even more indicative of General Surgery having to scrape from the bottom of the barrel for applicants.

I'm sorry, do you have some evidence that residents are happier with the work hour restrictions? Also, you have evidence that new attendings, in their first year or two out, are happy that they trained in a limited training environment?

Or were you just hoping that this would be implied and stipulated? Maybe formal logical reasoning is not your forte.

One can see where vhawk is coming from. Surgeons should be able to be surgeons if they want to. No one should be able to take that away from them, especially without good reason. If I were to go into surgery, I certainly wouldn't want to be in a position where I want to be more involved but some legal/bureaucratic BS prevents my doing so and thus my training ends up being compromised.

They should. Lots of surgeons do well, and don't act like they need to be always on. After all, medicine is a career, not a life dedication. It's a way to make a living, doing something you love. I guess I don't know where people would get the idea that it's a sacred obligation. You're only a doctor after all. It's not like you have to be intelligent or amazingly gifted to have a career in medicine. :p

This DEFINES modern surgical training. I work all day. I am on call at night. I see a fascinating patient who needs surgical intervention. I am forced to go home and rest, and so miss out on this opportunity. I am not tired. I am not abused. But I am not allowed to exercise my own judgment and I am not allowed to participate in the care of this patient that will greatly benefit me. Or, I can participate but then be at risk for falsifying hours and violating restrictions.

But hey, as long as it doesnt have a demonstrably negative effect on aggregate, by NSQIP criteria, on patients, I guess there is no actual downside, right?

They should. Lots of surgeons do well, and don't act like they need to be always on. After all, medicine is a career, not a life dedication. It's a way to make a living, doing something you love. I guess I don't know where people would get the idea that it's a sacred obligation. You're only a doctor after all. It's not like you have to be intelligent or amazingly gifted to have a career in medicine. :p
notsureifserious.jpeg

Yeah but where else does that restriction apply? If you want to be an artist, the best that you can be, no one will stop you from drawing/painting every second of every day. But if you want to be a surgeon, someone does stop you, and if the reason for that is invalid, then I feel like I have a right to complain. I only get to go through residency once. I would want to be limited only by my own motivation/capacity, not by some arbitrary hour restriction.

notsureifserious.jpeg

Well, we can both agree that everyone here is ONLY a doctor. You aren't anything special. So am I. Just average Joes, and fellow millenials!

I'm sorry, do you have some evidence that residents are happier with the work hour restrictions? Also, you have evidence that new attendings, in their first year or two out, are happy that they trained in a limited training environment?

Or were you just hoping that this would be implied and stipulated? Maybe formal logical reasoning is not your forte.

Yeah, a lecture on logical reasoning coming from someone who says, "It is conceivable patients are in fact worse off," without actual objective evidence and platitudes of Handoffs = BAD. With that logic, the same surgeon should never go home and just stay at the hospital until the day a patient is discharged, bc after all only YOU know the patient best. Your megalomania and delusion of grandeur is crazy, if not dangerous.

vhawk, what is your view on EM doctors then, who literally do shift work and punching out the clock?

Also, the HUGE amount of med students turned off by having to work more than 60hrs a week for a career. I know you are aware that surgery self selects for people who love to work insanely long and hard hours...since there are peeps who want $$ who vouch for less intense specialties, people with lifestyle aspirations who go for less intense specialties, etc. Do you have a disdain for the majority of your physician colleagues, who don't share your belief?

Yeah, a lecture on logical reasoning coming from someone who says, "It is conceivable patients are in fact worse off," without actual objective evidence and platitudes of Handoffs = BAD. With that logic, the same surgeon should never go home and just stay at the hospital until the day a patient is discharged, bc after all only YOU know the patient best. Your megalomania and delusion of grandeur is crazy, if not dangerous.

There actually is some decent data that shows handoffs are a bad thing. It's one of the points that people point to as a possible reason outcomes didn't improve with hour restrictions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, while I actually agree we should be able to exercise our own judgement in regards to being at the hospital, I can say that not a single attending here shares vhawks view. I'm at a community program and even the exalted neurosurgeons stop answering their pagers/phones when not on call, and sign out their patients to partners.

I'm surprised no one took issue with NSQIP requirement of the study and being used as the primary outcome. As someone using NSQIP to hopefully get a few publications, it is far from perfect, and far from all inclusive for the hospital type... I mean, 6 hospitals out of over 50 in new jersey participate, and that doesn't cover 2 of the 4 biggest residencies... I agree 2 years of enrollment time is not adequate either

So far supposedly over 100 programs preliminarily enrolled (out of ~250 surgery programs in the country) - There is a lot of overlap between NSQIP hospitals and training hospitals, unsurprisingly.
But is there enough representation of training programs at NSQIP hospitals? Are we getting the community programs with 2 residents/class or only academic/large programs with 6-8 per class? Work hours and services are much different at my joint, where each service has a team, and the community NSQIP hospital which has 4 total services, and can we compare those two, and can the results of this study be generalized outside the NSQIP universe?

Also, while I actually agree we should be able to exercise our own judgement in regards to being at the hospital, I can say that not a single attending here shares vhawks view. I'm at a community program and even the exalted neurosurgeons stop answering their pagers/phones when not on call, and sign out their patients to partners.

That's good. I have faith in surgeons! And like someone mentioned(southernIM I think), most programs actually *gasp* obey duty hours, which is a VERY nice thing to hear. Especially for future, prospective peeps!

Taking off pagers and handoffs are VERY prevalent, and while they don't exist with vhawk, they exist in 99% of places around the country. And sorry to stab you in the heart hawk, but medicine is a job!

And I agree. Vhawk is just a resident, so it's not like people will crash if he is gone. I know very well he has a loving wife who he likes to go shopping with and walk on the beach + his 2 kids who need him to cheer them on in soccer games :)

I think that's a great point. The NSQIP thing will end up being a major limitation in several ways (despite being one of the studies big advantages - having a clinical data registry to measure hard outcomes, which is something missing from most education studies):

Yeah, but let's be honest. Anybody who's been in a surgical residency since the institution of the intern work hour rules knows they don't make patients any safer. Contrary to the people who seem firmly committed to the "you're against the 16 hour intern shift so you must support rolling back the 80 hour work week" logical fallacy, the two sets of rules are DRAMATICALLY different. 80 hours a week is fairly common sense. In contrast, why one gains the magical ability to safely work for 28 hours on month 13 of residency but not month 10 is illogical and basically just pure PR grandstanding. I'm actually more bothered by being up all night as a senior resident than I was as an intern.

We essentially just need some evidence to reinforce the concept that it was stupid to implement intern shifts without any data supporting that being the key driver of patient/resident problems. Doesn't need to be perfect level 1 gold plated.

Yeah, but let's be honest. Anybody who's been in a surgical residency since the institution of the intern work hour rules knows they don't make patients any safer. Contrary to the people who seem firmly committed to the "you're against the 16 hour intern shift so you must support rolling back the 80 hour work week" logical fallacy, the two sets of rules are DRAMATICALLY different. 80 hours a week is fairly common sense. In contrast, why one gains the magical ability to safely work for 28 hours on month 13 of residency but not month 10 is illogical and basically just pure PR grandstanding. I'm actually more bothered by being up all night as a senior resident than I was as an intern.

We essentially just need some evidence to reinforce the concept that it was stupid to implement intern shifts without any data supporting that being the key driver of patient/resident problems. Doesn't need to be perfect level 1 gold plated.

This I 100% agree with. 24 (or 28) hour call is not dangerous, cruel, or in-humane.

I'm sorry, you think that there is a paucity of data showing "handoffs=BAD?" I honestly just assumed that this was both obvious enough and well-supported in literature enough that it could just be stipulated. You arent a resident maybe, and thats why you dont know all of this? I would be shocked if any resident hadnt had the concept beaten into their head a million times by now.

I would also argue that a PGY4 resident who hasn't turned his pager off in 4 years has a misplaced sense of priorities. The hospital actually won't fall apart if you sign out your pager, it turns out. I take great pride in my work ethic and dedication to my patients and to my fellow residents. But I also know that there are approximately 15 other residents in our program who can do my job as well or better than I can, and when it's time for me to be off, I'm happy to take full advantage of that.
Then argue it. There being plenty of other competent residents in my program has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

vhawk, what is your view on EM doctors then, who literally do shift work and punching out the clock?
Not overly impressed, to say the least. I am acutely aware of the incentives that shift work creates and how human beings respond to those incentives.
Also, the HUGE amount of med students turned off by having to work more than 60hrs a week for a career. I know you are aware that surgery self selects for people who love to work insanely long and hard hours...since there are peeps who want $$ who vouch for less intense specialties, people with lifestyle aspirations who go for less intense specialties, etc. Do you have a disdain for the majority of your physician colleagues, who don't share your belief?
No. I have disdain for people who misrepresent themselves though. I'm sure this is just your internet tough guy act, and you wouldnt ACTUALLY say any of these things to a program director interviewing you or to the family of a patient, right? If you would be ashamed to say these things in that setting, you should consider what that says though.

I'm sorry, you think that there is a paucity of data showing "handoffs=BAD?" I honestly just assumed that this was both obvious enough and well-supported in literature enough that it could just be stipulated. You arent a resident maybe, and thats why you dont know all of this? I would be shocked if any resident hadnt had the concept beaten into their head a million times by now.

I am a resident. Your inability to give a good handoff, is not my problem. However, feel free to not be able to delegate and always assume that since only YOU can know the patient well, that no one else can do the job that you can do. You're a cog in the machine just like everyone else in the healthcare system. You can be replaced. You are not a special snowflake.

Those people represent a HUGE chunk of residents, and med students rotating through your service and work at your hospital. As you very well know and are 100% aware, a large chunk of people went to medicine for money or to have a good lifestyle/career, and LOVE specialities that they work 60 hours or less. In fact, people who love to work long hours are the rarity. Which is evident as you are also highly aware, of students who hate surgery for working too many hours and wanting a lifestyle as the 1# priority. You, my friend, Mr. Vhawk are the rare seed. Which is fine. Go to the pre-med or allo forums and see people who hate the altrustic and "save the world" approach of being a simple doctor.

Besides, shift work at the ED is fine. They punch in, and punch out. Same with Derm, Rads, Path, you name it. Everyone has a key role in this teamwork of medicine :D

Also, vhawk knows he's only a resident, so nothing will crash if he was to have some fun for the night. Drinks on me :D

Considering the current trends in the healthcare workforce and work hour restrictions, I don't think the correct interpretation of the "hand offs = bad" data is that we should try to minimize/eliminate hand offs all together. I think it means that we're bad at hand offs and, like it or not, we need to get better at them. I'm happy to take care of my patients 24/7, don't get me wrong, but I still should be able to competently pass the baton without negatively impacting patient care.

I know I'm getting old because I can't even get fired up for a thread like this....too much drama for me now, but just my speed even a few years ago.

For those arguing so passionately, there are no winners and losers of this debate. I'm certain you're spending more time reading your own post than your opponent's, and planning the next witty attack.

To the OP (@dbeast, am I doing it right?): I recommend you take these questions to an advisor at your school, as they will be the most helpful. Reading your posts, it seems like general surgery is not a great fit, but I wouldn't make such a huge life choice based on the recommendations of an anonymous message board.

I believe that the 2011 ACGME rules have changed the game significantly. They have truncated the intern year, and taken power and autonomy out of the intern's hands. This was traditionally the year with the steepest learning curve, so some argue that the "basic" surgical skills are taking longer to learn now, spilling over into the PGY2 year. Responsibility is subsequently shifted upward, which reduces the intern's role in patient care, and distracts senior residents from the more complex aspects of training. Anecdotally, I don't see a big difference in interns while they are interns, but I have noticed that PGY-2s seem a little bit weaker, both in the OR and on the wards. The finished product has yet to be determined, so I guess we'll find out in 2016.

Balancing your home life and your work can be difficult as a resident, and it remains difficult as an attending. I may not be as histrionic as @vhawk, but I don't necessarily disagree with his approach. He knows training has been compromised, and he wants to ensure that he's ready to go at the end of 5 years. Once you've finished training, and you're building a practice, availability is extremely important. You make yourself available 24 hours a day because: 1) You are obsessed with ensuring your patients have good outcomes, both for their benefit and for the benefit of your growing referral base, 2) You know that you can plan your day easier when you catch things as they occur, rather than absorbing all info at 8am the next day when you already have a full elective caseload, etc, and 3) You know that being unavailable, or saying "no," to your referring doctors can have a large impact on your practice....if you aren't available, they'll simply use someone else.

I am actually a big proponent of home call, but I'd like to associate it with an in-house backup. Residents don't check out when they leave, but instead take calls on their own patients at night, but if the problem cannot be handled over the phone, it is then passed on to the night float, who then assumes care for the remainder of the night. The residents at home are therefore not coming in, but they maintain continuity of care with less hand-offs. Night float is also not overwhelmed with cross-coverage, and can focus on late operations, consults, etc. I would love to discuss this more if there's interest, as I think it's the only way to make the 80 hour rule work without compromising care.

@southernIM, I love the parachutes reference. I've attached the article so some of the younger folk can be let in on the joke.

Overall, I can relate to all sides of this thread's major argument. I believe that some of the "chest pounding displays of bravado" start to fade with time, but some of that self-sacrificing mentality is a part of normal coping mechanisms, and most of us have experienced feelings similar to vhawk at some point. Since we work so much harder than other specialties, and we have Rodney Dangerfield-levels of respect for this work, we have to convince ourselves that it is for the greater good, and we must believe that our resilience is snowflake-level.

Of course, 80 hours or 120 hours, it's ridiculous to assume the ride is similar between surgery and IM. Surgery residents work harder, for a longer period of time, at an increased pace. But, that's only 5 years of your life.....the next 30-40 years after that are a completely different discussion, but I hope it's not a spoiler that you don't get to turn your pager off very often....

Attachments

• parachutes.pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 3 users
@SLUser11 thank you for the expansive and realistic message. I had kind of left this thread behind for the time being in the interest of trolling pre-allo and procrastinating for my medicine shelf.

I think where I'm running into trouble, and I may not have made this clear in my original post, is that while I'm not one of those 120 hour per week machines like some of you, I am not one of those clock in and clock out types either (although contrary to some opinions in this thread, I totally do understand the folks who are like that). My identity crisis is that I'm falling somewhere in between and I haven't quite found anything that speaks to me on that level. I'm finishing my medicine clerkship right now and I spend way more time in front of a computer than I'd ever want to do for a career, so I think medicine is out. Clinic doesn't particularly excite me either. So... yeah... I'm sure I'll figure it out, but if any of this new info sparks discussions, I really do appreciate it.

I trained entirely in the 80 hrs system, both in residency and fellowship. I can understand the perspective of what vhawk was saying about being on-call and patient ownership issues. Sometimes the message gets lost without a reality check. I am at an academic center for reference (and that matters). The last two weeks for example--my partners were out of town, and I was on call so I dealt with everything. This week I am not on-call, but I'm still doing cases, and I take every call on my patients any time of day--I never defer to another on-call attending when I'm in town--so if my patient goes down for whatever reason, I take the call, even when I'm not "on-call". I think this is the essence of what vhawk was saying; even when you're not "on-call", you're still on for your patients. I would imagine that most/every attending on here would probably agree that they would want to take the calls on their in-house/recent post-op patients when problems arise (assuming they are available). If a patient I operated on 1 or 2 weeks ago shows up in some ER 100 miles away with a surgical issue and they call my hospital, I get the first call whether I am on-call on not (this is how our hospital call center is set up)--I think this is a fairly typical scenario.

I own my patients, and I loved the 80 hr work week.

Sad for you if thats what you think is happening. Despite what your GME office has brainwashed you to believe, your duty to your patients and your obligation to log your work hours according to policy do not miraculously align

Pretty sure that's what I was getting at when I said I stayed for a liver transplant after a 24 hour call. It was my patient and my responsibility. I, unlike some people, just don't see the point in talking about it. But nice try, I can tell you're a great guy to work with. Looks like I'm not the one who's brainwashed. We really don't have to get into the whole internet tough guy convo do we? Try and keep up with the thread if you're going to start attacking people.

And in a perfect world, you wouldnt be able to match into any kind of serious residency spot. Fortunately for you, you are a "millenial" and there are plenty of spots for you.

Medicine isnt just a job, you take care of sick people, you make critical decisions, and for some people that is a sacred duty and obligation. It isnt punching a clock, and it isnt being preoccupied with bureaucratic compliance.

Sweet avatar by the way, it's very intense.