Are second-looks really important??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Bacon

Bringing sexy back!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think second-looks are important in the programs' view?? I'm scheduled for a 2nd-look next week for my #2 program.

I tried to setup a 2nd-look with my #1 program for the end of Jan, and they told me they're not doing anymore second-looks....has anyone heard of this??

Members don't see this ad.

It's certainly not critical. If you made a good impression the first time around, and all of your questions were answered, you probably shouldn't do a second look...it's just one more chance to screw up. OTOH, if you genuinely feel that you need another look at the program, go for it.

I'm doing a second look cause I didn't get to meet the program director...I think if the program is competitive it will only help to do a 2nd look

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing a second look cause I didn't get to meet the program director...I think if the program is competitive it will only help to do a 2nd look

I wish I got to do second looks. There are like... 6 programs that I like almost equally for different reason and I'm not sure how to even to rank them. This is so bad. I'm thinking about even just flipping a coin or something or having my bf or someone else pick for me. How lame is that? :(

I wish I got to do second looks. There are like... 6 programs that I like almost equally for different reason and I'm not sure how to even to rank them. This is so bad. I'm thinking about even just flipping a coin or something or having my bf or someone else pick for me. How lame is that? :(
Well that should be a good thing, you have plenty of places you'll be happy at. I think you should have your BF pick something for you cause then he'll be happy too.

It's certainly not critical. If you made a good impression the first time around, and all of your questions were answered, you probably shouldn't do a second look...it's just one more chance to screw up. OTOH, if you genuinely feel that you need another look at the program, go for it.

How true.
I had a second look at my #2 program and buried my foot and leg in my mouth.
The PD wasn't present, but the chief res was.
After I extracted my lower limb, the reception turned definitely chilly.

My advice, if you go for a 2nd visit, ask questions.
Try to avoid answering any questions or offering any opinions.

MY PERSONAL ADVISE: Don't do second looks unless someone calls you and asks you to come over for it. The chances of you improving your odds cant be that great.... I think there is more risk of making your odds with the program worse.....

Do second looks on programs you are unsure if you want to go to or not, not on programs you KNOW you want to go to.

i think its a good idea to show your face around to show your interest and have them remember you

i think its a good idea to show your face around to show your interest and have them remember you
I'm with you. I think if you are not from the area and you feel they may not believe you want to go to their distant, out of state program...a second look can't be that bad. I've been told to wear your interview suit again...but then I was told by another person to wear your white coat...does anyone know the answer? Or should I ask the residency coordinator.

I'm with you. I think if you are not from the area and you feel they may not believe you want to go to their distant, out of state program...a second look can't be that bad. I've been told to wear your interview suit again...but then I was told by another person to wear your white coat...does anyone know the answer? Or should I ask the residency coordinator.

I'd say if you're sittin in rounds with the team it'd b better with the white coat

Do you guys think second-looks are important in the programs' view?? I'm scheduled for a 2nd-look next week for my #2 program.

I tried to setup a 2nd-look with my #1 program for the end of Jan, and they told me they're not doing anymore second-looks....has anyone heard of this??

if there were certain insecurities or unknowns you had about a program, i would consider it. esp to differentiate between maybe two or three programs, maybe then you can see really how the program and the people who run it function on regular non interview days..

I've been invited to a couple of second look dinners, one of which I'm going to attend. It's at my current #2, but it's so close to my #1 that I want to have a chance to ask more detailed questions that have come up since my interview, and reinforce my interest in the program.

Who knows, it could end up my #1....

Wow, I'm surprised at how many of you are anti or weary about second looks.

Honestly, I think if you're going to take a second look to prove you're interested in a program, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

I'm taking 3 second looks to help differentiate/confirm where I'm ranking my top choices. I also want to meet more residents/faculty and get a better sense of how things work instead of being told about them.

This is where you're going to spend the next 3 (most important) years of your training. I wouldn't want to make that decision based on one day.

I don't worry about 'screwing it up.' If I'm myself around these people and they don't like something I do or say, then it wasn't the right program for me. I realize it's an interview but I'd rather know whether I fit or not. FM is one specialty where you have more of a choice about where you go (generally speaking of course).

Honestly, I think if you're going to take a second look to prove you're interested in a program, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Is there any reason why it can't accomplish both information gathering for you as well as an indication of your interest?

It's a two way street, and I feel like my every move is being watched and interpreted at this point. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I know programs are looking for clues about our interest, which will in turn likely have some influence on their ranking of us.

I need a vote on what to wear on my second look day.

My suit. A nice business casual outfit. or white coat? I would rather not wear the white coat..but I heard at another program that they make second-lookers put their white coat on and round with the team.
I will too be rounding with a team but the residency coordinator said nothing about wearing a white coat...
I think I should wear a suit but is this too much?

I don't worry about 'screwing it up.' If I'm myself around these people and they don't like something I do or say, then it wasn't the right program for me. I realize it's an interview but I'd rather know whether I fit or not. FM is one specialty where you have more of a choice about where you go (generally speaking of course).

Great post slim!!!! I agree 100%. That's the way I look at the interview and second look also.

I don't know if they're important but they sure can be fun. Here's a synopsis of the Second Look Weekend I just attended at Memorial in South Bend:

It started on Friday night with a “Kickoff Party” at a resident’s house that had a tailgate theme. It was very casual and the invitation encouraged everyone to wear clothing from their favorite college or pro sports team or from your medical school.

On Saturday morning everyone was invited to play basketball at the Memorial Health and Lifestyle Center. Later in the morning, everyone boarded a bus to tour the town and Notre Dame. For lunch, the Program Director hosted all of the candidates, faculty and current residents at his house. After lunch, everyone (including faculty) went bowling. We had a couple of hours off in the afternoon to do our own thing. To end the day, a dinner was held at the Studebaker National Museum.