Are scrubs color coded? Where's the key?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I accidently stole a pair of scrub the last time I shadowed at the hospital lol I walked out and didnt realize I still had it on until I was already leaving (face palm). Hopefully they didn't catch me on sometype of security sys. lol :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

At Penn nurses on perioperative floors wear blue scrubs, other floors wear red, and then doctors and other staff like CRNAs wear light blue.

My shop:

Light green: cardiology
Dark blue OB/GYN
Dark grey Trauma
Maroon: Other surgery
Black: That one really cool IM resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Our hospital has cobalt blue scrubs that are hospital issue, everyone wears them, but nurses often buy their own scrubs in whatever color. Pathology has lavender scrubs and e-med has all black heavier scrubs with their names embroidered.

Where I volunteered (non teaching hosp.)..

RNs - Royal Blue
Techs - Randomly odd patterned scrubs (never liked those... look cheesy IMO)
Surgeons - Light Blue
Doctors - Usually shirt and tie / dress attire
Transport - Red
Rad techs - Black
PTs - Greenish something
Psych RNs/NPPs - Light gray/white

In the US it varies by institution/department, but in at least some countries in Europe it's more standardized, and traditionally surgery is green and medicine is blue.

As a med student, it's basically whatever the free institution scrubs are...students showing up in other colored scrubs is a big tip off that the person is a premed or preclinical med student.

ER docs at my hospital all wear navy blue. They say it isn't required, but it's the best color to mask the bodily fluid stains.

Pretty much everyone else wears dress shirt + tie + lab coat, except for this one doc who has a thing for Ed Hardy graphic shirts with a lab coat :laugh:

As a med student scrubs aren't important. It's the short white coat that you wear that signifies your worth in the hospital as somewhere below the janitorial and transport staff.

/so happy to never have to wear that ****ing thing again.

Of course you can always tell who the doctors are because they wear white coats.

hahahahhahahahhahaha, yeah, it doesn't work like that anymore. The unit clerk where I work wears a long white coat.

I always feel bad for the paramedics when they bring in a patient. The room is full of people in scrubs and white coats, and they look around lost until the doctor has to say to them, "I am the doctor. Please give me your report".

Last edited:
I've thought about apologizing for the stupid question and asking a random person wearing uniquely-colored scrubs at the hospital what their color represents...but that's what SDN is for :rolleyes:

Dark blue? Light blue? Green? Maroon? Are there regulations for these? Does it vary from hospital to hospital? State to state?

there are no color codes for scrubs, but usually scrubs used by surgeons are green, or light blue, but some hospitals may change their colors to pink. Usually they are not owned by the wearer, instead they are owned by the hospital, for sanitary purposes; however, other people have more colors to choose from, i saw hospital staff wear black scrubs, blue, white, pink, green, navy blue etc... but there is no color code from what i heard, i guess its just the wearers choice. hope this somewhat helped.

there are no color codes for scrubs, but usually scrubs used by surgeons are green, or light blue, but some hospitals may change their colors to pink. Usually they are not owned by the wearer, instead they are owned by the hospital, for sanitary purposes; however, other people have more colors to choose from, i saw hospital staff wear black scrubs, blue, white, pink, green, navy blue etc... but there is no color code from what i heard, i guess its just the wearers choice. hope this somewhat helped.

Wow, your answer was 18 months late. What took you so long? OP and others 18+ months ago were worried. Thanks for bumping!

Wow, your answer was 18 months late. What took you so long? OP and others 18+ months ago were worried. Thanks for bumping!

You really need to calm down with the blatant modding. It's really getting annoying.

Surgeons wear purple at 2/4 hospitals I've shadowed/volunteered/worked in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You really need to calm down with the blatant modding. It's really getting annoying.

:laugh: Ohhhhhh SDN.

I've only seen doctors/surgeons in green or light blue. Those seem to be pretty standard. When you get into nurses and techs, it's a lot more varied.

Yeah, and I suppose bumping a more than year-old thread is a good thing (or less annoying)? My comment is simply a typical reaction to a meaningless bump.

Midway through my chief year, the VA switched from light blue-green to "prisoner"-orange, likely to keep people from wearing their scrubs out of the hospital.

When the residents would leave the hospital in a group for lunch, we'd look like a bunch of escaped inmates.

Midway through my chief year, the VA switched from light blue-green to "prisoner"-orange, likely to keep people from wearing their scrubs out of the hospital.

When the residents would leave the hospital in a group for lunch, we'd look like a bunch of escaped inmates.

Ok, that's pretty hilarious.

Mine is surgeons light blue hospital scrubs, ED physicians dark blue, nurses green, and tech brown.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

I approve of thread necromancy, I think it's funny. :laugh: