Are research track residencies less IMG friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polycherry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking up the residents of a few programmes offering the research track and I couldn't find many IMGs. I realised that most were MD/PhD grads. Is it that such programs are inherently IMG unfriendly or is it that most IMGs don't have a PhD along?
I am an MBBS undergrad and I'm planning to do a PhD and maybe a research track residency later.

Members don't see this ad.

it's because the research tracks are for those that are outstanding in research, my friend

Reactions: 1 user
PST are just as IMG-friendly/unfriendly as their standard residency counterparts. You will see some programs that don't invite IMGs and some top programs than have quite a few. And yes, your research counts.

Last edited:
Most programs derive your salary from somewhere. For clinical rotations/training, it comes from your hospital/Medicare/VA (if affiliated). Most research track residencies have built-in research time, or fast-track you into a fellowship where you will get about 3-4 years of protected research time. To be eligible for that, someone needs to commit your salary to the program. Most research track residencies get that commitment from the NIH. Unless you hold a green card/US passport, you would not be eligible for that line of funding. That is why, besides the obvious competition with very talented MD-PhDs, they often will not commit to taking you.

There are always exceptions (especially those associated with financially well-to-do hospitals/programs, like Mayo), so there is no harm with trying. Just know what you are up against if you are not a US citizen/permanent resident.

Reactions: 2 users