are radiologists pressured to "read" studies similar to how RVUs work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question, but are radiologists pressured to "read" X number of studies / day (please comment on the differences of academics vs. private practice here)

Everywhere I turn to, doctors are telling me they feel pressured to get X number of RVUs / month or something similar. Does radiology feel this same type of pressure?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course, especially in private practice. You are under pressure to "clear the list." Obviously academia theres less of this stress. I think this is a major reason why radiology is high on the recent burnout survey.

Last edited:
Some private practices are draconian about it, going as far as placing an "RVU-meter" on your computer screen. Personally, I can't imagine working at a place like that, but they exist. Others have very clearly defined RVU expectations on a per shift basis. Still others expect you to stay within a percentage of your group's average. Anecdotally, this seems to be an issue in larger groups where it's easier for a slower radiologist to "hide" and/or there's a small group of senior radiologists who run things and dictate the workload.

In academics, part of our bonus took into account RVUs and turnaround time, but it wasn't a major component as far as I could tell. They also had to adjust it by section because neuroradiology is always going to blow away other subspecialties based on how the RVU system is structured.

Academic institutions have gotten more into the RVU game especially as they standardize operations across the vast health networks they now control