Are pre-clinical grades more important now that Step 1 is P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DefNotaGOAT

Reaction score
My school's preclinical years are like (H, HP, P, F) with Honors being like 95%, HP being like 92%, Pass being above 70%. I'm sure that most residencies would rank Step 2, clinical grades and research much higher, but I am just curious how much preclinical grades would factor in, especially in competitive specialties like ROADS. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, this is all conjecture - we won't really find out until this years MS2's apply for residency, but here's my 2 cents:

Preclinical grades are such a crapshoot and seem to vary widely between schools. I think there's a reason why preclinical grades are usually ranked 6th in terms of importance for applications by PDs. Obviously, when taking away one metric (step1 scores), others will have to fill the void. IMO, I think Step2 will become much more important, as will research, to fill the void. My school is P/F with rankings by quintile, so I'm just shooting for 1st/2nd quintile.

MS2

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school's preclinical years are like (H, HP, P, F) with Honors being like 95%, HP being like 92%, Pass being above 70%. I'm sure that most residencies would rank Step 2, clinical grades and research much higher, but I am just curious how much preclinical grades would factor in, especially in competitive specialties like ROADS. Thanks!
Nope. PDs have stated already that Step 2 is what will be used as a screening tool. This has been also be talked about ad nauseum in these fora.

It would also be hard to assess pre-clinical grades because many school shave gone P/F.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah I see, thank you all for replies! I'm honestly not on studentdoctor network that often, I find it better for my mental health that way. o_O

Most likely the things that will get weighted super heavily are Step 2, clinical grades, and letters/prestige of school. Less likely to weight pre-clinical grades much heavier because pre-clinical grades really aren't predictive of anything.

Preclinical grades are going the way of the dodo in general, as above I think Step 2 CK will be the new sorting/screening tool. Clinical grades, letters, applying smart, and interviewing are the other big things that will place people where they want to go.

For more competitive fields, I think it will become even more common to do 3 or 4 sub-I rotations and we'll see most programs matching the folks who they trialed as a sub-I and liked. That, and research will continue to inflate, with more and more people taking research years if they didn't start helping with several projects early on.

For more competitive fields, I think it will become even more common to do 3 or 4 sub-I rotations and we'll see most programs matching the folks who they trialed as a sub-I and liked. That, and research will continue to inflate, with more and more people taking research years if they didn't start helping with several projects early on.

It's already very common to do 3 away rotations plus home sub-I for competitive subspecialties. For these specialties, most people match where they did their sub-I or at home, so that points to the importance of this decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Preclinical grades are going the way of the dodo in general, as above I think Step 2 CK will be the new sorting/screening tool. Clinical grades, letters, applying smart, and interviewing are the other big things that will place people where they want to go.

It's already very common to do 3 away rotations plus home sub-I for competitive subspecialties. For these specialties, most people match where they did their sub-I or at home, so that points to the importance of this decision.
I’m wondering if SLOEs are going to be adopted more universally

IM keeps trying to implement something like this but I don't know anyone who has actually done it (they made the announcement recommending it this year after most people I know already had their letters finalized). haven't heard anything since, not sure it's really gained any traction.

They will. For the competitive specialties that are seeing a massive rise in app numbers - makes it easier for them to screen people out without having to read through every single app/letter. Less of an impetus for the other specialties right now.