Are my MD chances fading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a non-URM with a 3.7+ GPA and a 507 MCAT with a very compelling P.S. surrounding my perspective on living with a chronic disease. Additionally, I have 6000+ hours of paid clinical work and 4000+ hours of leadership in the form of managerial roles at various jobs. I have applied to 4 D.O. programs with 3 II and am blessed to have an acceptance. As for M.D., I applied mid July to 12 mid to low tier programs with only 1 rejection and 1 pre II hold to date. Is it atypical to have so few responses either way at this point and are my chances at any M.D. II gone? Thanks for your input in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably folks on here with a much better idea than I. However, simply from reading a number of SDN posts this application cycle with similar questions, many interviews are given out in November, December, Etc, so I wouldn't worry just yet!

As for M.D., I applied mid July to 12 mid to low tier programs with only 1 rejection and 1 pre II hold to date. Is it atypical to have so few responses

With such limited info, it's hard to tell. Students write vague posts like as if all 12 mid-to-low tier schools are the same and all states are the same. Are some instate public? OOS public? Low tier privates? What? Are you from a lucky state?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I am a non-URM with a 3.7+ GPA and a 507 MCAT with a very compelling P.S. surrounding my perspective on living with a chronic disease. Additionally, I have 6000+ hours of paid clinical work and 4000+ hours of leadership in the form of managerial roles at various jobs. I have applied to 4 D.O. programs with 3 II and am blessed to have an acceptance. As for M.D., I applied mid July to 12 mid to low tier programs with only 1 rejection and 1 pre II hold to date. Is it atypical to have so few responses either way at this point and are my chances at any M.D. II gone? Thanks for your input in advance!
If you applied to schools in the Harvard/Stanford class, then those were merely donation. Ditto for OOS state schools. So, what was your school list?

State of residence?
# of EC hours in service to others?

It IS getting late in the MD cycle, but it ain't over 'til it's over.

Unfortunately I have residence in a state with only one school, and a good one at that. Other than my state school the rest of my apps went to private schools and all seemed to have missions that I fit well. My stats were reasonable for all schools, e.g. no Harvard donations lol. As for service, I have 200 hrs of clinical volunteering and I also have a good amount of volunteer hours coaching youth sports. Sorry I was vague and I hope this helps. Thanks!

Here is my school list.
Oakland
Albany
MCW
Drexel
Penn St
GW
CUSOM
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
NYMC

Here is my school list.
Oakland
Albany
MCW
Drexel
Penn St
GW
CUSOM
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
NYMC

Is this list excluding the school that rejected your app?

In the end, would you be ok with the DO acceptance? Did you deposit there?

Is this list excluding the school that rejected your app?

In the end, would you be ok with the DO acceptance? Did you deposit there?
I was rejected from Albany. And in the end I consider myself fortunate with my acceptance and will be happy to go there. However, there are several schools in this list I would prefer to attend for a variety of reasons, MD vs DO withstanding. The school has kind of a funky deposit schedule so I do not have to put anything down for awhile, hence my slight urgency to get traction at schools I may find more appealing. I know the lost deposit would be a drop in the eventual bucket but that kind of money means a lot to me now.

All i needed to read was non-urm with ur stats. Probably not a good chance given its almost november

All i needed to read was non-urm with ur stats. Probably not a good chance given its almost november
Its not over until its over. Let him/her have some hope rather than putting him down.

Reactions: 2 users
If u aren't URM there is no hope unless u have a 513+ honestly
I understand where you are coming from because this seems to be the accepted theory. However, assuming ADCOMs actually do a holistic evaluation would my well above average clinical exposure and leadership experiences help overcome my average metrics?

Reactions: 1 users
Also Albany rejects everyone (really just me) and smells of elderberries.

Fading? No. Diminishing slightly? Perhaps, but it's really anyones guess. Late interview invites are a thing, especially for people with lower numbers initially. It's the high achievers and eager beavers that interview first, and then after that it can vary based on geography, stats, fit, what color your pants are, etc.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I understand where you are coming from because this seems to be the accepted theory. However, assuming ADCOMs actually do a holistic evaluation would my well above average clinical exposure and leadership experiences help overcome my average metrics?
It will depend upon how far > avg these experiences are.

If u aren't URM there is no hope unless u have a 513+ honestly

OP, step 1 is to ignore the idiotic statements like the one I’ve quoted.

Step 2 is to be patient and ride the cycle out. Yes it doesn’t look great for MD but you never know, hold solace in the fact that no matter what next fall you will be in medical school.

Reactions: 12 users
This cycle I'm sure is much higher. I have a 511 and a 3.9 and I'm having a hard time getting into MDs. While URMs with the same numbers have tons of IIs and acceptances
Your difficulty this cycle may have more to do with how you come across, if your tone in this thread is any indication. You may also have red flags in your application. Plenty of people with your stats are having plenty of success with MD interviews and acceptances this cycle.

OP, just be patient. It’s still not quite late in the cycle, and you do have one acceptance. Good luck!

This cycle I'm sure is much higher. I have a 511 and a 3.9 and I'm having a hard time getting into MDs. While URMs with the same numbers have tons of IIs and acceptances

Or maybe you came across as an entitled schmuck in your PS and your letter writers hated you. Anything's possible.

Reactions: 4 users
OP my gpa is around the same and MCAT scores are 507 with a 508 retake. I managed to get an MD acceptance this cycle! I think you still have a shot!! I am routing for you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You've got somewhere to go next year so there is no need to start preparing for another cycle (I recommend starting by Thanksgiving if you haven't had an interview by then). So sit back and relax and perhaps some interviews will flow in between now and February and maybe they won't. There really is no predicting. The good news is that you got one offer so the likelihood that there is a fatal flaw in your application is very, very low.