Are my chances for a BS/MD ruined?

MedicalAspirations

I’m not good at usernames
Reaction score
I’m an incoming sophomore. I have no hospital volunteering, shadowing, or research yet. The problem is I live in a small town and I couldn’t find any hospitals that would let me volunteer at 14. I’m 15 now and found a hospital that lets 15 year olds volunteer but I’m afraid it may be too late. I plan on shadowing a few doctors sophomore year summer/ junior year. A college near by has a chemistry research internship I’m hoping to be involved in junior year summer. Taking this into consideration could I still have a shot at BS/MD programs? I’m a URM currently in all honors with a 4.0 gpa and other extracurriculars: art club, key club, french club, and in a club that promotes diversity in my town. Next year I’ll be joining academic team (quiz bowl) and volunteering at a hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

First, let me ask why do you want to do a BS/MD? What is your motivation for that? Which programs are you interested in specifically?

Now, I do not think you have ruined your chances at these programs considering you will only be a sophomore in the fall. Unfortunately, for someone at your age, shadowing is complicated even more than usual because you cannot drive yourself to and from the locations you need. I suggest emailing and calling as many physicians as you can to get a little shadowing in. Ask your PCP if any colleagues would be agreeable to that and specifically explain why. Work on volunteering outside of the hospital setting. There are often many more avenues for that than there are for clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know how much say I have in this considering I am a rising senior, but I would spend your freshman and sophmore year researching and learning as much as you can about becoming a physician, the process, and the challenges. Then spend time getting some clinical experience and take classes geared towards your under graduate pre requisites. Make sure you are 200% about becoming a physician before even considering a BS/MD program.
I’ve been researching it for two years and I’m over 200% sure that I want to be a doctor. I can’t imagine myself doing anything else. I’m already taken classes toward my under graduate pre requisites, the only thing I need now is real clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First, let me ask why do you want to do a BS/MD? What is your motivation for that? Which programs are you interested in specifically?

Now, I do not think you have ruined your chances at these programs considering you will only be a sophomore in the fall. Unfortunately, for someone at your age, shadowing is complicated even more than usual because you cannot drive yourself to and from the locations you need. I suggest emailing and calling as many physicians as you can to get a little shadowing in. Ask your PCP if any colleagues would be agreeable to that and specifically explain why. Work on volunteering outside of the hospital setting. There are often many more avenues for that than there are for clinical volunteering.
I want to do BS/MD because I’m passionate about becoming a doctor and it would be nice to know I will be one by the end of high school. I know I won’t change my mind. I’m interested in Howard’s program, Browns, northwesterns, and case westerns.

I already know a doctor I can shadow in my field of interest, I just have to wait till my sixteen. I met a friend of his a few weeks ago at a conference for my diversity group and she loved my presentation and offered to put in a good word for me.

I’m passionate about becoming a doctor
How do you know this?

It sounds like you are excited about this option and that is great - if you are sure you can be committed to this, investigate very thoroughly and then go for it. Just know that undergrad is a great time to explore things and compressed timeframes could hamper that experience. You may find that can expand your horizons more as an undergraduate who is not committed to a combined degree.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know this?

It sounds like you are excited about this option and that is great - if you are sure you can be committed to this, investigate very thoroughly and then go for it. Just know that undergrad is a great time to explore things and compressed timeframes could hamper that experience. You may find that can expand your horizons more as an undergraduate who is not committed to a combined degree.
Trust me, I’ve researched it. I realize the amount of work it takes and that you may even have to give up summers to take courses. However, I would be fine with doing the traditional route, but I would like to try for the BS/MD programs.

I’m an incoming sophomore. I have no hospital volunteering, shadowing, or research yet. The problem is I live in a small town and I couldn’t find any hospitals that would let me volunteer at 14. I’m 15 now and found a hospital that lets 15 year olds volunteer but I’m afraid it may be too late. I plan on shadowing a few doctors sophomore year summer/ junior year. A college near by has a chemistry research internship I’m hoping to be involved in junior year summer. Taking this into consideration could I still have a shot at BS/MD programs? I’m a URM currently in all honors with a 4.0 gpa and other extracurriculars: art club, key club, french club, and in a club that promotes diversity in my town. Next year I’ll be joining academic team (quiz bowl) and volunteering at a hospital.

Whats urm?

UnderRepresented in Medicine (mostly African Americans, Native Americans, Caribbean people, and latinos)

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Oh then that would be me. If i applied to medical would that give me better chances along with decent stats. Im now a senior in highschool taking college classes.

Oh then that would be me. If i applied to medical would that give me better chances along with decent stats. Im now a senior in highschool taking college classes.
Usually URM matriculants gets in with lower stats, but it's usually because their average stats are usually also lower due to having to overcome more barriers than their ORM counterparts on their way to medical school. Still, it's not an excuse to under perform in Undergrad if you get all the resources that you need. After all, Medical school admission is only getting more competitive every year, and you're going to need to apply with the best application possible. For now, as a High school senior, I strongly advise you to relax, focus on your transition to College, and try your best to keep a high enough GPA once you get there. Now is not the time to worry about getting in medical school. You'll have plenty of time in College to do that. Come back in 3 or 4 years and lay down your stats and ECs, then we'll be able to help you.

Usually URM matriculants gets in with lower stats, but it's usually because their average stats are usually also lower due to having to overcome more barriers than their ORM counterparts on their way to medical school. Still, it's not an excuse to under perform in Undergrad if you get all the resources that you need. After all, Medical school admission is only getting more competitive every year, and you're going to need to apply with the best application possible. For now, as a High school senior, I strongly advise you to relax, focus on your transition to College, and try your best to keep a high enough GPA once you get there. Now is not the time to worry about getting in medical school. You'll have plenty of time in College to do that. Come back in 3 or 4 years and lay down your stats and ECs, then we'll be able to help you.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Yeah sometimes i drive myself crazy about going to medical school. And of course i will do my best in undergrad, since im doing so now at a cc. Right now my gpa is 3.3 rank 88 not the best but im working on it

So you have never shadowed a physician, but you know you want to be one. You should probably shadow as much as possible to make sure that is true.
Yes, I know. I plan on shadowing as soon as I can but until then I’ll be volunteering. Hopefully I’m volunteering by the end of August. It would be sooner but I’m going to be out of town for a few weeks visiting family. I haven’t technically shadowed anyone but my doctor was excited when she found out I wanted to be one and showed me around and explained what it was like to be a doctor. She also recommended some books to read written by Atul Gawande. I just finished Complications and I’m even more sure now that this is what I want to do. I’ve loved science since third grade, but it was sixth grade when I knew I wanted to go into medicine.

I’ve loved science since third grade, but it was sixth grade when I knew I wanted to go into medicine.

Reminds me of the illustrious Panda Bear MD, who I shall now quote:

"When did I first discover that I, myself, desired to be a doctor? Some come to the decision late in life, often not until the age of five. The non-traditional applicants might not know until they are seven or even, as hard as it is to believe, until the end of ninth grade. I came, myself, to the realization that I, myself, wanted to be a doctor on the way through the birth canal when I realized that my large head was causing a partial third degree vaginal laceration. I quickly threw a couple of sutures into the fascia between contractions so strong was my desire to help people."

Reactions: 5 users