Are Mongolians considered Underrepresented in Health Care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicole Kidd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm Mongolian and I wonder if Mongolians are considered underrepresented in health care, it's like you don't really see Mongolians in health care in day-to-day life but we are still Asians?

Thanks for answering the question!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm Mongolian and I wonder if Mongolians are considered underrepresented in health care, it's like you don't really see Mongolians in health care in day-to-day life but we are still Asians?

Thanks for answering the question!

The easy answer is: no.

The complicated answer is: maybe.

Each school defines URM as they want. The traditional definition is Mexican-American, Mainland Puerto Rican, and African American. Some schools have expanded this definition to include groups like Vietnamese and Pacific Islanders. I have not heard of Mongolian ever being considered URM but that's probably just because the population isn't big enough in any one area for a school to recognize it. I personally never met a Mongolian until I moved to Chicago and now I've met a couple.

I would apply under the presumption that you are not considered URM and if some diversity offices reach out to you then great.

Good luck with applying!

The easy answer is: no.

The complicated answer is: maybe.

Each school defines URM as they want. The traditional definition is Mexican-American, Mainland Puerto Rican, and African American. Some schools have expanded this definition to include groups like Vietnamese and Pacific Islanders. I have not heard of Mongolian ever being considered URM but that's probably just because the population isn't big enough in any one area for a school to recognize it. I personally never met a Mongolian until I moved to Chicago and now I've met a couple.

I would apply under the presumption that you are not considered URM and if some diversity offices reach out to you then great.

Good luck with applying!

Thank you for your answer and time!