Are Med Students Having Doc Fathers Better Off.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

furiousangel99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I HAD THE THIS DOUBT 4 A LONG TIME.
IHAVE afrien dwhos learns more from his father than what my teacher [prof.] tells in the class. i just cant but envy them. i know its wrong but isnt it human. by the way if any one has doubts in engineering u can get it cleared it by my father.
wat do u think abt it. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
that was a starement made without any substance behind it. prove it and make ur staatments backed by solid proof without which idiot might turn out 2 be somebody else. :smuggrin:

above message is meant 4 sandeep. :mad: :mad: a blatant attack concerning only his personal opinions is very silly. i thought this issue wud spark off alively discussion and never did i think that a person wud react like this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

back to furiousangel's comment.... I think there are certain benefits and disadvantages in having parents who r physicians. They might have a lot of outside help in terms of applying to med school and leter in med school and they know what the family life is like in that profession and have experienced it first hand. Being a first generation college student I had to go out on my own and find out about a lot of things not just medicine related because I didnt't have that guidance .....so that might be one advanatge but the disadvantages I have seen with my friends whose parents r physicians is that they are often forced into his field when they really want to pursue something else. They have tremendous pressure from their parents.
I know I am making a very generalized statement and there will always be exceptions. :)

My Dad is a doctor. Growing up, I couldn't help but overhear all of his conversations about his work in the medical world. So obviously, I know some stuff that you don't. I've come into this process with some advantages.

Now, I don't see why that would necessarily bother you.

When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class whose father was a guidance counselor. This girl was not super smart, but she did everything just right for the admissions process. While the rest of us were kind of stumbling around, "groping in the dark" at times, this girl was on track. She was involved in extracirriculars that we didn't even know about. So she went to Duke.

That said, the fact that she had lots of inside info on the college admissions process b/c her Dad was a guidance counselor didn't stop the rest of us from trying to go to college. I went to an Ivy League school.

There's always people out there who have advantages over you. Don't let it stop you from doing what you want.

Garuda said:
My Dad is a doctor. Growing up, I couldn't help but overhear all of his conversations about his work in the medical world. So obviously, I know some stuff that you don't. I've come into this process with some advantages.

Now, I don't see why that would necessarily bother you.

When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class whose father was a guidance counselor. This girl was not super smart, but she did everything just right for the admissions process. While the rest of us were kind of stumbling around, "groping in the dark" at times, this girl was on track. She was involved in extracirriculars that we didn't even know about. So she went to Duke.

That said, the fact that she had lots of inside info on the college admissions process b/c her Dad was a guidance counselor didn't stop the rest of us from trying to go to college. I went to an Ivy League school.

There's always people out there who have advantages over you. Don't let it stop you from doing what you want.

Very well said !