Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

So I recently sat down and calculated my hours to fill out the work/activities section. I'm worried that my app seems unbalanced based on my ECs and that could hurt my already low GPA of 3.4.
  1. Molecular technologist (1800 hours by primary submission -- it's my current full-time job, and it's the one where I got promoted to a supervisor despite not having my ASCP and only being here for 6 months.)
  2. EMT
    1. Clinical volunteer
    2. ~1000 hours over 3 years
    3. EMT -> primary care provider on ambulance -> field training coach
  3. National Student Leadership Conference
    1. Paid camp counselor for high school students, essentially, where we take students through different careers in medicine, tour medical schools, lead them through case studies, and also teach them interpersonal skills and talk about ethics, etc.
    2. ~1000 hours over 3 years
    3. Worked as a regular Team Advisor/camp counselor -> became Head Team Advisor -> became Program Director
      1. Would these be different activities or would they lumped into one?
  4. Teaching assistant
    1. For various labs; pretty much during all semesters during all three years of college. I may have even taken on two classes to TA for for one semester.
    2. Classes were biology I lab, chemistry I lecture (x2), calculus 2 (x2), genetics, and molecular biology
    3. Calculated to be about 900 hours
  5. Non-clinical volunteer (80? hours)
    1. 50 hours with Environmental Research Center
    2. 20 hours (gonna project more as I continue) with an organization that delivers food and water directly to those in need
    3. 10 hours dedicated to a Math Girls Day event on behalf of Math Club
    4. Didn't include this in above calculation because I don't think it really counts but I did volunteer in the ER, leading loved ones to patients in their respective rooms in my senior year of high school (100 hours)
  6. Shadowing
    1. 3 hours with an MD psychiatrist
    2. 20 hours virtual
    3. Secured another in-person shadowing with an MD so projected hours will be around ~25 or however long he'll have me
Does this all seem like red flags to you guys? What are things I should avoid when talking about these activities? It feels like I have a heavy skew towards teaching, and I'm worried I don't necessarily know what to say if an ADCOM says "Why don't you teach instead?"
HS volunteering doesn't count, don't include it.

Ordinarily I would say the lack of non-clinical volunteering hurts, but you have several other roles where you're certainly doing outreach to the community even if it's paid. Keep doing the volunteering to those in need with the food/water.

I don't think someone's going to ask you about why you don't want to be a teacher, but these ECs aren't going to compensate for a low GPA. Unless you have a strong upward trend or crush the MCAT you probably need to do a post-bacc or focus on DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.