Are "Elective" Courses Considered in the Application Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a position where I'm looking to possibly take a class that focuses on the musculoskeletal system as an elective. Surprisingly this class is not a prerequisite for the program I'm looking at. I think it would be a good idea to take it anyway. I wonder if the application board takes these additional classes into account during the application process. I also have a number of classes in cellular metabolism, biochem, organic chem. I wonder if these classes will be taken into consideration with the application reviewers...Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Might be taken into consideration when looking at the difficulty of your courseloads and your the grades you achieved. I would say take the musculoskeletal because as a student in a PT program right now we are going to have 3-5 musculosketal classes and labs throughout school, so it can't hurt to know ur stuff.

It definitely helps to take electives that will help in PT school like the musculoskeletal class. Many schools recommend taking those classes and like to see that as part of your courseload.