USMLE Are ear plugs allowed for CS (during pt note entry)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSAspy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if ear plugs are allowed for CS during the pt note entry? A room with a dozen ppl furiously typing simultaneously would be quite distracting for me...

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can not, because they check your pockets prior to entering the clinical encounter hallway. You can't have anything in your pockets so I assume they won't let you. Just ask prior to the start of the exam or call the testing center.

you wont hear them typing the room is huge. its not like the prometrics rooms where you are sitting literally right next to each other

Members don't see this ad :)
While I cannot speak for everyone, given the format of the test it's not really a problem. You do the majority of your thinking inside the room with the patient. Once you're outside, you're just regurgitating what you already thought of. I know it's an exam so it's a lot more stressful, but it really should be no different than typing/writing your note in the hospital.

I did not find it distracting at all. This is coming from a person who was distracted for almost all of CK. I think CK takes a huge amount of concentration whereas CS is much more relaxed.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses!! U guys/gals are awesome!

Turns out that my concerns were misplaced! The stations were spaced out, and the "ambient noise" was really not an issue.