are community DR programs lighter in schedule to allow for more time to moonlight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, do community DR programs (in general) allow moonlighting more than university programs?

Are there major advantages to a big name university program vs. community (maybe the level of training / attendings to learn from?)

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't have an answer to your first two questions, but i'd imagine its more anecdotal than anything.

Yes, there are major advantages to training at a big name academic program. Most academic centers are referral centers which see higher concentrations of difficult and rare cases. It's much easier to learn radiology when you see it at the workstation and have an attending teach it to you rather than reading it from a book. Yes, the attendings are often higher level/national leaders in their subject. You often get exposed to the leading edge of modalities. The research opportunities are more plentiful.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of the 4 Radiology residency programs I know none of them have significant moonlighting. There is babysitting the scanner but those aren't that plentiful and get spread pretty thinly because everyone wants them.

Moonlighting in residence in general isn't really a thing because TBH you aren't qualified to put out official reads. Moonlighting in fellowship is different and there are very often opportunities for picking up weekend shifts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Contrast coverage moonlighting is most plentiful at urban academic centers that have a sprawling network of outpatient imaging centers spread across the metropolitan area. Each of these need an MD to cover contrast reactions and consents for after-hours scans. The opportunities can be substantial, allowing residents (PGY-3 and above) to increase their salary by 50%.

Contrast coverage moonlighting is most plentiful at urban academic centers that have a sprawling network of outpatient imaging centers spread across the metropolitan area. Each of these need an MD to cover contrast reactions and consents for after-hours scans. The opportunities can be substantial, allowing residents (PGY-3 and above) to increase their salary by 50%.

Let's agree to disagree. I have direct knowledge of 4 programs...3 of which are large sprawling programs in urban centers and there was not a enough babysitting slots to go around.

Which program(s) are you referring to?

Let's agree to disagree. I have direct knowledge of 4 programs...3 of which are large sprawling programs in urban centers and there was not a enough babysitting slots to go around.

Which program(s) are you referring to?

My own and many of the ones I interviewed at.

By the way things are going, I'm about to double my income this year. We have a big network of outpatient centers. We may actually have too many moonlighting opportunities.

I added an average of $50k per year moonlighting the last 2 years in residency. Very easy work.

Some programs have really great opportunities. You just have to ask around. More than half of programs have at least some internal gig I’d guess. And the ones that don’t tend to be clustered in certain cities/regions.