Are Asians( Korean, Chinese, Indian,etc.) URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehappydoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That ethnic group is not considered URM because they are over-represented in medicine...Pretty evident?

Seriously...maybe it's just that some people don't know specifically for what "URM" stands - "under-represented in medicine".

Easy equation. "x" equals representation of a certain race/group in the general population. "y" equals representation of that group in medicine. If X<Y, then there is no "U" - not under-represented. If X>Y, then that group is under-represented.

hmm interesting considering there are not even many scholarship options for this group....severe disadvantages

By percentage, there's about 4 times more "Asians" (of all types) that matriculate into medical school than there are in the general US population (20% vs. 5%). Most of them are wealthy. Many of them know very little about the struggles of the poor patients on whom they will learn medicine in teaching hospitals. Many of them go into medicine because their parents expect them to do so.

Even the Poor-People-Serving-BAMF Dr. Jim Kim (of PIH fame) likes to tell the story of his dad pulling the car over and telling him he must go to medical school before doing anything else.

Long way of saying, Asians are way, way over-represented in medical schools and fewer of them should be admitted.

fewer of them should be admitted.

You were good until right here. Meritocracy. That's it. They earn it, they get it. Period. If someone is highly qualified but doesn't get in on their merits, but on who they are or from where they came, that person is being denied the time-honored American tradition of "you work for it, you earn it, you deserve it", and, by definition, the person taking their place is otherwise less-qualified, and maybe even unqualified, and you then screw a slew of people, ranging from the person that didn't get in, to the person who got in and may not be able to handle the work, to the patients who now get the doc who is not, by definition of qualification, the best. If your idea of equality is to equally suck, then this is exactly the way to do it. And I am of 100% European extraction, and have no Asian connection beyond a psychiatrist I know that is half Japanese. And I have lived in Hawai'i for the past 3 years.

Reactions: 1 users