are any clinical pharmacists making a comparable salary to retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my professor seems to not make enought and seems to be overworked i wonder how much do clinical rphs make?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a clinical/staff pharmacist who makes nearly 6 figures. (but its california)

Last time I got the "head-hunter" email from my school of pharmacy, I calculated some of the jobs advertized as "clinical". From what I remember, I cam up with a lot of values in the $78-85K range. There was a flyer in West NM (I think) that was $100K.

It seems clinicals make $10-15K less than the salary of a retail. At least from values I hear in MN. Remember your pros and cons though-Retail deals with angry customers/angry MDs/angry insurance/MA problems, and does it with no lunch breaks or chance to grab a chair for 10 minutes, or go get a little down time from the job for a short break.

No pharmacist makes enough (obviously...) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by GravyRPH
I'm a clinical/staff pharmacist who makes nearly 6 figures. (but its california)

Gravy,

Describe your average day dude. I love reading blogs.

I sorta posted it before and remember I'm not a full time clinical pharmacist.

Upon arriving at the pharmacy at the butt crack of dawn or before, I enter all the orders that have collected from the previous evening which is usually quite a stack. I then contact any doctors or solve any problems that result from those orders. Those orders also give me a good idea of who needs to be tracked or who I feel needs extra special attention. After thats complete I follow up on my protocols from the previous day or start new protocols that were ordered overnight. These are the vancomycin/gentamicin/heparin/coumadin/pharmacokinetic dosing problems. I then will review the charts for the people that I have been following as well as new people I have selected. I will notate anything of significance, i.e. changes in dosing for renal function, changes in abx, changes from iv to po, or just about anything drug related that needs adjusting. Throughout I try to make myself available to field questions from the medical staff. Also, I have to continually enter any new orders that come in, as well as check the IV fill and the pyxis fill. I will also sometimes be asked for a "pharmacy consult" for something specific; e.g. pharmacy consult to review meds for hypoproteinemia induction. I am also on several commitees that will require my attention several times a week, such as crash carts, code team, medication safety, blah blah blah.
It's friday, that's enough talk of work. :D Did I mention I get 3 days off? :clap:

Gravy,

What are your hours like on average? Like what time do you usually come in to work and at what time do you usually get off?

0630 arrival
1700 departure