Are abortion providers needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calmike2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are abortion providers needed? I know there are unserved areas, but what about in urban areas, like Los Angeles... Are clinics desperate for physicians willing to do abortions, or are most urban areas pretty much saturated with physicians willing to work at clinics etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have exact numbers, but I know that in Virginia there is one abortion provider for 3 planned parenthood clinics. The provider drives up to 4 hours to get to these clinics. And Virginia is a relatively populated state.

-kem

kem said:
I don't have exact numbers, but I know that in Virginia there is one abortion provider for 3 planned parenthood clinics. The provider drives up to 4 hours to get to these clinics. And Virginia is a relatively populated state.

-kem
I hope that the abortion provider has a fatal accident on their drive. It would actually save lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
minime said:
I hope that the abortion provider has a fatal accident on their drive. It would actually save lives.

Another "pro-lifer" who wishes death upon a person. It's statements like this that make others lose sympathy for their cause.

minime said:

Real nice. You are a true ****ing humanitarian!

Havarti666 said:
Another "pro-lifer" who wishes death upon a person. It's statements like this that make others lose sympathy for their cause.

Unfortunately, these are the most vocal ones. The majority of pro-lifers are not like this.

I use upsetting people like Minime as my moral-yard stick. I know that if I'm doing something which makes them want to shoot me, I must be on the right track. So thanks for the support Minime! I'll happily continue to be pro-choice, pro-gay rights, etc...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however it is the manner in which they state it which lets us know about their level of maturity and quality of character.

Getting back to the original post, they are infact still needed. I am from Los Angeles and currently in DC, two cities with a significant "inner city" population. I see abortions here alot. It is an elective training for us, but as stated in my previous posts, I have elected to participate in some for my learning purposes. I think (personally and solely for me) that as a good physician I should know how to do them, not knowing what situation I may be faced with in the future. It is not always a suction D&C, and can involve Urea, Laminaria, etc.

In terms of need, there is no shortage visible here. There are providers which do it and the community knows who they are and makes referrals to them. There are also several clinics here (similar to and including Planned Parenthood).

I guess I could have used a little more tact-my post was one of those things that just popped into my head. I would never harm or wish harm on anyone.

I do wish that people would really consider what they are doing when they perform an abortion-they are taking a life. For all of you non-Atheists the bible says "from conception did I know you". Many people say "well if we didn't have abortions" this or that would happen. Yes, sin does have it's consequences, but does that justify us to take a life. Never.

If I could take my original post back I would, but I am passionate about my stance. This issue is one of my main reasons for doing OBGYN. I would never impose my opinion on anyone, but I hope that by providing all of the pro-life options and helping people consider the emotional consequences of abortion they would reconsider.

Again, I regret my original post. The anonymity of this board took hold.

What does the Bible say about the millions of spontaneous abortions (i.e. miscarriages) that occur every year? Were all of those fetuses known? I am a Christian and I think that the Bible says a lot of things that should not be taken literally (i.e. destroying an entire city of people because of their 'immoral' sex practices).

The problem that I have with the pro-life crowd is that they seem to care more about the non-living, than they do about those children that are born into poverty, and those living with AIDS or with no food.

Contrary to what you may think, abortions were not invented after RoevWade. They were being done for hundreds before that and women aren't going to give up their right to control what happens to thier body just because you threaten them with damnation if they don't adhere to your religious views.

If you are pro-life and are going to try to change people's minds about having abortions I don't think you should be an OB, you should think about another specialty. If you are pro-life because you love children maybe you should do peds or adolescent med. Becuase as an OB your biases will definitely be harmful to your patients.

Becuase as an OB your biases will definitely be harmful to your patients.[/QUOTE]

How so? I know many pro-life OB's. they don't do abortions and they don't refer for them. I don't understand what you are basing this on.

later

minime said:
I do wish that people would really consider what they are doing when they perform an abortion-they are taking a life. For all of you non-Atheists the bible says "from conception did I know you". Many people say "well if we didn't have abortions" this or that would happen. Yes, sin does have it's consequences, but does that justify us to take a life. Never.

well, first of all, i disagree. i don't think of it as "taking a life"....when life begins is a fuzzy line, and i don't agree that it begins at conception. the other issue is, why do the rights of the fetus supercede the rights of the mother? a decision has to be made as to which of the two, mom or products of conception/embryo/fetus has more rights. and, from the ethics that i learned, mom has more rights until later in the pregnancy. in fact, this was one of my questions on the medical ethics exam....i remember a graph, with the increasing rights of the fetus vs. the straight line rights of the mom...just at birth, fetus passed mom...but, before that, mom was who we were considered ethicaly obligated to treat...now, mom does not want to carry fetus to term, for health reasons or for socio-economic reasons (which can directly affect health), i believe that she has that right, within certain time limitations. quoting the bible won't change my mind. saying that "i believe that you are taking a life" won't change my mind...simply put, it is moms body. she can do with it what she feels she needs to do. and the beliefs of you, or anybody else, do not supercede an individuals right to take care of their own body and life as they see fit.

another entirely different issue is that you are basing your arguments on religion. now, where i live, church and state are seperate. your biblical reference should carry no weight at all in a court of law. so, i respect your religion, and your religious beliefs, but i will not force anybody else to conform to them. and you should not expect us to.

if you don't want an abortion, don't get one. that is fine. encourage everyone you see to follow your lead, plead your case to individuals and groups. if people agree with you, they will decide not to have abortions. in a perfect world, there would be no abortions. unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world. and, it is not within your rights to command others to do as you believe is right, especially when they (NOT you) must live forever (or die in childbirth) with the consequences of this demand.

Members don't see this ad :)
LuckyMD2b said:
If you are pro-life and are going to try to change people's minds about having abortions I don't think you should be an OB, you should think about another specialty. If you are pro-life because you love children maybe you should do peds or adolescent med. Becuase as an OB your biases will definitely be harmful to your patients.

i disagree here. if you are pro-life, and wish to spread the word, i think it is fine to discuss your veiws with your patients...however, it is wrong of a doctor to withold a referral, or to deny a patient care because of her views.

if you don't want to perform the abortion, and the patient does not agree with your veiws, send them somewhere they can get help. to do otherwise is abandonment.

i am all for the thoughtfull, non-coercive discussion that could take place. knowledge is power, right? so, perhaps armed with more information, a woman could make a better choice for herself. but, the key is, that a woman should still have that choice!

it is not up to us to decide what is right and wrong when it comes to individual health choices, nor is it up to the government. every woman has the right to decide what is best for her body's mental and physical well being. if some women happen to choose something that you disagree with, too bad. when it comes your time to take care of your body, you can choose differently.

12R34Y said:
I know many pro-life OB's. they don't do abortions and they don't refer for them.

Yeah, I've known some lousy docs in my day, too. But most of them *try* to let patients make their own informed decisions, regardless of the physician's personal convictions.

no offense people, but i never really wanted this post to be a pro-life/choice debate. if anyone has info on the original post, their thoughts would be very much appreciated. the pro-life advocates can kindly keep their thoughts to themselves and pray for my death privately. thanks!

Yet again trying to return to the original topic,

Clinics in general have a shortage for OB-Gyn's and many (specially in big cities) are staffed by moonlighting residents, nurse practitioners and PA's. However, there isn't as big a shortage on abortion providers, its just a matter of them not being overly publicized.

Good Luck!

Actually I hate to disagree but in OH some private hospitals will not do elective abortions which makes clinics a must for those wishing to end a pregnancy. Also terminations in OH are not allowed after 23 weeks regrdless of where performed which is the earliest limit of survival. In addition most OB's will not do elective abortions for fear of pro-life litigation and hampering their office productivity. In addition, the cost reimbursement for a D&C is low making the risk of doing elective abortions not very profitable.

Getting training at our institution is very difficult. So you are fortunate to have this experience.

As far as prolife issues are concerned perhaps opening another topic may be suitable but not in this forum please

Thanks
Diane

A good site to check out for info regaurding training oportunities and abortion provider shortage areas is medical students for choice (ms4c.org). It also gives a listing of reviews of OBGYN and FP residency programs by residents, rotating medical students and often residency coordinators about what they offer for training in elective and medical terminations. I worked at a PP in the midwest and at that time our physcian worked 6 days a week in 3 cities. Definetly a shortage in that area despite a dusting of a few private clinics. Hope this helps!!

you know, i'm pro-choice...making the choice not to get knocked-up...

just a thought..

medstudent2005 said:
you know, i'm pro-choice...making the choice not to get knocked-up...

just a thought..
I'll thumb through my copy of the Constitution again, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there about the right to get laid without consequences. :thumbup:

I love the deception, though.

There's an abortion clinic about 15 minutes from where I live called "A Preferred Health Center".

Right.

I'm curious though: with advances in medications, isn't it possible that most elective abortion procedures will be phased out in the future?

aphistis said:
I'll thumb through my copy of the Constitution again, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there about the right to get laid without consequences. :thumbup:

hey, my post agrees with you...unless yours was just a reiteration

i say..if you're married, use birth control. If you're not married...use birth control...and self control