ARCOM vs LECOM Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gengar

Reaction score
Hello, I need some advice. I was fortunate to be accepted to both LECOM's and ARCOMS masters program. However cannot decide between the two. Both of these programs have matriculations into their respective med schools if Fall requirements are met. From my research, this is what I've gathered about each school
LECOM - Pros
  • Older and more established
  • Very good matches
  • Has LBL and PBL learning, (I'll most likely do LBL if I get in, but still undecided)
  • Very cheap tuition compared to other med schools
LECOM - Cons
  • Heard some iffy stories about rotations
  • Administration doesn't care about students (based off what I've read)
  • Mandatory attendance (not a big deal, but would like to study on my own)
  • Uniform and no drinks policy (again not really a big deal, but just something to keep in mind)
  • Student reviews are mixed. Many enjoyed their time at this medical school, but many didn't
For the Masters, tuition for the program is around 25k. There is around 150-170 students, and course can be taken online or in person. There is no official number of how many students get into the med school via the program, but per my research, its around 50.

ARCOM - Pros
  • Newer, got a tour of the building and its amazing
  • All the student reviews I've read are very positive
  • Cheap tuition
  • Board scores are high
ARCOM - Cons
  • Newer schools so not as established as LECOM
  • More in a rural, small town area. Feel like social life won't be as enjoyable as PA
  • Match list is mainly family or internal medicine, and I would like to do something other than that
For the masters, tuition is 30k, but all students are granted a 25k scholarship, so it ends up being 5k, which is amazing. Class size is around 45-50, and around 20-25 students matriculate into the med school via the program.

They both practically have the same requirements for the interview, need a 3.4 gpa + at LECOM, and all Bs or above at ACOM. 497 MCAT for LECOM and around 500 for ARCOM. Currently I'm leaning towards ACOM's masters, because #1 the cheap tuition (5k for a masters degree, like sheesh), the campus just looks nicer imo. ARCOM students take classes with medical students, and I really appreciate their mission statement of helping the underserved. LECOM's matches, and older establishment is whats making it difficult for me to decide. 170 students in a Masters program to me is way too much imo, and limits teacher to student interactions. If anyone has any insight on these schools, or these programs, and whether you'd recommend it or not, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend LECOM due to the strength of its Masters' linkage with its medical/dental program

ARCOM's masters also has a linkage, but whether or not it guarantees matriculation to the professional degree is dubious. All I know is that it guarantees an interview if you maintain a B average

I would call them about this

I just graduated with my master’s degree from ARCOM and will be starting medical school next month. I am very grateful for the opportunity! The program is not easy, but you can succeed with hard work. The professors want you to succeed and the school is very supportive. I believe they have prepared us well for first year and we will be reviewing majority of the same material. Only around 20-25 of us got accepted to ARCOM, but not everyone in my class met the requirements of B average or above to get interviewed. I also got in with less than 500 score, but I was near the top in my class so it can be done. The school is very nice and in a great location about 5-10 minute drive from Fort Smith. I enjoy the scenery on campus. You may PM me if you have more questions. Good luck!

I always defer to the more established schools. Most schools have fluid rotations for 3rd and 4th yr students, meaning they change frequently. Even MD students don't do all of their rotations at The Mother Ship. Having said this, either masters program will be quite challenging and be prepared to work harder than you ever have in your life. Don't assume you are better academically than your classmates . So to answer, I would probably go to Lecom. Their tuition is lower than most and they have a better local reputation.

I always defer to the more established schools. Most schools have fluid rotations for 3rd and 4th yr students, meaning they change frequently. Even MD students don't do all of their rotations at The Mother Ship. Having said this, either masters program will be quite challenging and be prepared to work harder than you ever have in your life. Don't assume you are better academically than your classmates . So to answer, I would probably go to Lecom. Their tuition is lower than most and they have a better local reputation.
Yeh this was my reasoning also when deciding. Older school, more reputable reputation, and their match list has been very solid. I'll most likely go with this school. Thank you

I just graduated with my master’s degree from ARCOM and will be starting medical school next month. I am very grateful for the opportunity! The program is not easy, but you can succeed with hard work. The professors want you to succeed and the school is very supportive. I believe they have prepared us well for first year and we will be reviewing majority of the same material. Only around 20-25 of us got accepted to ARCOM, but not everyone in my class met the requirements of B average or above to get interviewed. I also got in with less than 500 score, but I was near the top in my class so it can be done. The school is very nice and in a great location about 5-10 minute drive from Fort Smith. I enjoy the scenery on campus. You may PM me if you have more questions. Good luck!
I see. This is on par with what they told us in the interview. I really liked the friendliness of the staff, and it really seemed like they wanted students to succeed. They also really pushed the mission statement of helping the underserved, and that really caught my eye. I appreciate the feedback, I'll for sure send you a message if I have more questions. Thank you