Arab pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

For arabs out there who have already tackled the MCAT, I was just wondering how you guys did on verbal.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Cheers,
Monette

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal wasn't a great experience. I was probably averaging below 10 on my practice. A week before the MCAT, I figured out that I just really pay attention to how the passages are structured and less about the content. My practice scores went up a little after that. I still got a 10 on the real deal. Can't complain. el 7amdo lel lah

good luck

Hey Hoooba,

Thanks for responding... Do you mind telling me what materials you used for studying? Verbal is the bane of my existence :thumbdown:

Cheers,
Monette

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoooba said:
Verbal wasn't a great experience. I was probably averaging below 10 on my practice. A week before the MCAT, I figured out that I just really pay attention to how the passages are structured and less about the content. My practice scores went up a little after that. I still got a 10 on the real deal. Can't complain. el 7amdo lel lah

good luck

Hoooba, you got a 10 in VR. Sweet man! I'm struggling with verbal also. In fact, I was planning on taking the April MCAT, but because the highest I got was an 8, I decided to wait until August. I'm with kaplan, but I didn't think their VR resembles the real one as much as PS and BS do. Now, I'm working on ExamKrackers 101. I'm still stuck at 8 :mad:

Anyways, so are you applying this summer? I have already submitted my AMCAS, and am now working on some secondaries, which I got from the Pre-allo forum. Good luck with the process... :thumbup:

Monette said:
Hey Hoooba,

Thanks for responding... Do you mind telling me what materials you used for studying? Verbal is the bane of my existence :thumbdown:

Cheers,
Monette

I got at CD with some Kaplan course material off EBAY. It came with the AAMC practice tests as well (3-7). I also had the Kaplan MCAT prep book. I had way too many passages and I don't think I finished them all. I think the key is just endless practice. Just find some passages and do one or two everyday or whenever you get time. Make sure you really understand why you missed the question. Sometimes it easy to say that you just misread something or couldn't find it in the passage. You really need to dig deeper and try to find out why your really missed the question.

I would encourage you to do he AAMC practice tests. They are defintely the best indication of your actual test score.

For the verbal, at first I just did the verbal passages without really any strategy. I got an 8 on one of the AAMC tests two weeks before thereal MCAT. I freaked out and decided to figure out something. I noticed that sometimes I totally misunderstood the author's point. Obviously this would be a killer when answering the questions. I just started to pay attention to the structure and how each paragraph was designed for a reason. I can honestly say that it really helped me on the real MCAT.

I really think that once you start to understand the concept behind verbal, your life will be much easier. Try to look beyond just looking for the information in the passage. Look at the overall picture. Best of luck

beltawfeek en shaa allah

Shobra said:
Hoooba, you got a 10 in VR. Sweet man! I'm struggling with verbal also. In fact, I was planning on taking the April MCAT, but because the highest I got was an 8, I decided to wait until August. I'm with kaplan, but I didn't think their VR resembles the real one as much as PS and BS do. Now, I'm working on ExamKrackers 101. I'm still stuck at 8 :mad:

Anyways, so are you applying this summer? I have already submitted my AMCAS, and am now working on some secondaries, which I got from the Pre-allo forum. Good luck with the process... :thumbup:

Hi ya shobra.

I am applying this summer as well. My AMCAS was verified a couple of days ago. I just got some secondaries in the mail. I'm trying to finish most of that stuff before the end of July. I am finishing an internship soon and I will be going back to egypt for a month.

Good luck with the MCAT man. That's definetly an experience I don't want to go through again. Maybe you'll find some of my verbal advice useful. Just keep practicing so those *&^ passages until you really see the big picture. Good luck ya man

beltawfeek :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks again for the reply... I had the exact opposite happen to me... I was making tens in practice and bombed the real deal albeit that could have been due to a killer first passage and some very noisy people in my writing centre... Nevertheless, I'm very nervous and wary of rewriting... Did you use Kaplan for studying for the sciences as well? How were your scores on those (if you don't mind my asking)... I'm gonna need to ace the MCAT the second time around... Anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated and good luck to you too (I have a hard time reading and typing Arabic in these posts :oops: )

Monette said:
Thanks again for the reply... I had the exact opposite happen to me... I was making tens in practice and bombed the real deal albeit that could have been due to a killer first passage and some very noisy people in my writing centre... Nevertheless, I'm very nervous and wary of rewriting... Did you use Kaplan for studying for the sciences as well? How were your scores on those (if you don't mind my asking)... I'm gonna need to ace the MCAT the second time around... Anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated and good luck to you too (I have a hard time reading and typing Arabic in these posts :oops: )

Monette, I am using Kaplan for the science sections as well. I found their subject tests very helpful, especially if you haven't opened the material for some time. I also try to do the topical tests whenever I can. The highest I got was 11 in PS and 10 in BS, which I'm pretty happy with. However, I'd kill to get a 9 or 10 in VR.

Hey Hoooba, don't forget to post your profile on mdapplicants.com because who knows, we might overlap in some schools.

Shobra said:
Monette, I am using Kaplan for the science sections as well. I found their subject tests very helpful, especially if you haven't opened the material for some time. I also try to do the topical tests whenever I can. The highest I got was 11 in PS and 10 in BS, which I'm pretty happy with. However, I'd kill to get a 9 or 10 in VR.

Hey Hoooba, don't forget to post your profile on mdapplicants.com because who knows, we might overlap in some schools.

Hey Shobra,

Thanks for the reply... I was told Examkrackers would be useful for verbal, but I might make the investment into Kaplan...

Good luck this Aug and let us know how it goes...

Cheers,
Monette

Dear friends

I never thought that one day I will here the words "PATIENTS RIGHTS"

But now there is an International Society of Patient’s Rights

If you believe in the patient’s rights then please join the society,

And let your voice be heard, you can even participate with articles concerning the health care system. You can share your problems with us, ask experts for a consult,

Please help this society grow in the Middle East. Our target should be that of the European and the American society reaching all the population.

Some doctors my feel intimidated with the idea, but believe it or not, most of the members in Europe and the United States are health care providers.

This society is for you

Just visit the site at www.pt-rights.org

Monette said:
Hey Shobra,

Thanks for the reply... I was told Examkrackers would be useful for verbal, but I might make the investment into Kaplan...

Good luck this Aug and let us know how it goes...

Cheers,
Monette

Sure!!! Best of luck to you too :) . I am using EK as well. It's hard, but I believe it's helpful. Oh well, one more month. Can't wait to get it over with.