april mcat for this year after you've applied...what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franklinthedog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here...suppose you're waitlisted or on hold at a school you really want to go to for the class of 04. Would retaking the MCAT in April for this year's cycle help (assuming schools liked everything abot your app but your MCAT)? My inclination is yes..They're not sure about you and then in the first week of June you get a good MCAT; hence now you're an ideal candidate. And, if so, do you tell the school early on in the spring you're retaking the MCAT. This would prevent them from sending you a no prior to your scores but it would also prevent an acceptance too.

Anyone know anyone that's done this? What do you think? Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

I have definitely considered doing this if I don't get in anywhere decent by Valentine's Day. I wouldn't tell them in advance, though...just let it a be a surprise. That way, if you do worse, no one would be waiting on tenterhooks for your score. It's not like such a common thing that they'd keep you on the wait list just to see your April score.

I would be fascinated to hear if anyone has done this who is not an MCAT instructor. Share the stories, people.

If you were planning to apply again in '05 anyway, I don't see how it would hurt to try. But good luck getting the MCAT score back any earlier than the LAST week in June. This year's scores were released June 24.