April 28th 2017 MCAT Reaction Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezra Redden

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for any reactions and comments on the April 28th MCAT exam from last week Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

ChemPhys: The passages were really really short for this section, the shortest ones I've seen for ChemPhys. The first two passages initially kicked me in the nuts because my nerves got to me, but I snapped out of it. Everything after that was pretty much smooth sailing. I came out of this section smiling so I'm guessing anywhere from 125-129.

CARS: I hate this section, its the bane of my existence. All the passages seemed long as heck. Anyway, passage 1 was smooth. I'm glad I realized that passage 2 was the killer passage from the jump. I put "C" for all the questions in that passage and kept it moving in order to save precious time. That passage was only 5 questions anyway so no biggy. What bummed me out was that when I finished the section, I realized that my computer had skipped 2 questions so I had to go back and randomly guessed for those two questions because I only had 15 seconds left. I'm guessing from 123-127. 30-minute Break: What happened in CARS really messed with my head. At the end of the day, I think it sobered me up for how much I needed to run up the score in BioBiochem and PsySoc.

BioBiochem: Nothing too out of the ordinary except for that stupid passage with the IPOD stuff. I paced myself and I think I did well in this section so anything from 125-128. I didn't take the 10-minute break after it because I like to do BioBiochem and PsySoc back to back. Less burnout.

PysSoc: This section wasn't any harder than the practice tests I was taking. They always come up with new bs ways to get you. Anyways, my plan going into this was to run up the score to make up for what happened in CARS. I'm guessing from 125-130. I know the score ranges I have are really wide, but this exam, just like a lot of the practice tests, was a wild card. Could go my way, could not. Whatever the case, may the curve be ever in my favor.

Practice tests: 488, 492 (TPR); 497 (AAMC 1); 497, 493, 491, 495, 499, 490, 498, 500 (TPR); 503, 503, 501, 501, 503, 500 (NS); 495 (TPR); 503, 502f, 496f, 497f (NS); 502 (AAMC 2) The scores with "f" behind them were definitely flukes because I couldn't use the highlight tool during those tests (my laptop is really stupid). In between a rock and a hard place, hopefully God moves the rock. #PositiveEnergy #Shootingfor508

Reactions: 1 user
I left the exam feeling very similar to how I felt after the AAMC FL 1, which I took two weeks prior.

Did anyone else feel similarly?

ChemPhys: The passages were really really short for this section, the shortest ones I've seen for ChemPhys. The first two passages initially kicked me in the nuts because my nerves got to me, but I snapped out of it. Everything after that was pretty much smooth sailing. I came out of this section smiling so I'm guessing anywhere from 125-129.

CARS: I hate this section, its the bane of my existence. All the passages seemed long as heck. Anyway, passage 1 was smooth. I'm glad I realized that passage 2 was the killer passage from the jump. I put "C" for all the questions in that passage and kept it moving in order to save precious time. That passage was only 5 questions anyway so no biggy. What bummed me out was that when I finished the section, I realized that my computer had skipped 2 questions so I had to go back and randomly guessed for those two questions because I only had 15 seconds left. I'm guessing from 123-127. 30-minute Break: What happened in CARS really messed with my head. At the end of the day, I think it sobered me up for how much I needed to run up the score in BioBiochem and PsySoc.

BioBiochem: Nothing too out of the ordinary except for that stupid passage with the IPOD stuff. I paced myself and I think I did well in this section so anything from 125-128. I didn't take the 10-minute break after it because I like to do BioBiochem and PsySoc back to back. Less burnout.

PysSoc: This section wasn't any harder than the practice tests I was taking. They always come up with new bs ways to get you. Anyways, my plan going into this was to run up the score to make up for what happened in CARS. I'm guessing from 125-130. I know the score ranges I have are really wide, but this exam, just like a lot of the practice tests, was a wild card. Could go my way, could not. Whatever the case, may the curve be ever in my favor.

Practice tests: 488, 492 (TPR); 497 (AAMC 1); 497, 493, 491, 495, 499, 490, 498, 500 (TPR); 503, 503, 501, 501, 503, 500 (NS); 495 (TPR); 503, 502f, 496f, 497f (NS); 502 (AAMC 2) The scores with "f" behind them were definitely flukes because I couldn't use the highlight tool during those tests (my laptop is really stupid). In between a rock and a hard place, hopefully God moves the rock. #PositiveEnergy #Shootingfor508

Hoping for a 508 after not getting anywhere close to a 508 on any of the 20+ practice exams you took?

Very hopeful indeed

Taking that many practice exams without any significant improvement shows that you are spending way too much time taking these tests and way too little time reviewing them.

With a 3.5 GPA, you should be aiming for higher than a 508 anyways if you want to have a good chance of getting into an allopathic medical school. If you need to re-take, seriously consider re-adjusting your approach and expectations toward both the MCAT and medical school (including taking DO schools into consideration unless you still have absolutely no intentions of going to one).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I left the exam feeling very similar to how I felt after the AAMC FL 1, which I took two weeks prior.

Did anyone else feel similarly?
I took AAMC FL1 back in mid January,
Hoping for a 508 after not getting anywhere close to a 508 on any of the 20+ practice exams you took?

Very hopeful indeed

Taking that many practice exams without any significant improvement shows that you are spending way too much time taking these tests and way too little time reviewing them.

With a 3.5 GPA, you should be aiming for higher than a 508 anyways if you want to have a good chance of getting into an allopathic medical school. If you need to re-take, seriously consider re-adjusting your approach and expectations toward both the MCAT and medical school (including taking DO schools into consideration unless you still have absolutely no intentions of going to one).
I'll get into allopathic medical school with the score that I get from this test and do just fine in and after medical school. Take your negative energy somewhere else, nobody wants it here. Good thing my application isn't at your mercy. Geez.

Reactions: 1 users
I sincerely hope you score 508+, and @CavsFan2016 was definitely a bit too harsh, but it's also important to be realistic. I'm assuming you took AAMC FL 2 right before you took the real thing? If you only scored 502 (and you didn't put an 'f' next to that one, so I'm assuming it went fine technically speaking), chances are scores are usually around +/- 2 of the FL...so it's right to say you likely didn't get a 508, although it's certainly not impossible and you will just have to wait and see! Also, the comment about probably needing >508 with your GPA to get into an allopathic school has some truth to it....with the average matriculant GPA and MCAT for allopathic schools being 3.7 and 510+, you would probably need a higher score. But, the poster could have definitely been a little nicer with his/her comments.

I wish the best for you, and hope I'm not coming off negative, but I think it's better to be realistic this way you aren't in shock if your results come back lower than you expected. Good luck!!!

I took AAMC FL1 back in mid January,

I'll get into allopathic medical school with the score that I get from this test and do just fine in and after medical school. Take your negative energy somewhere else, nobody wants it here. Good thing my application isn't at your mercy. Geez.

Those with a GPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of 502-505 do not have a historically high acceptance rate - you can check the stats yourself.

Table A-24: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees by Selected Race and Ethnicity, 2013-2014 through 2015-2016 (Aggregated) - Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC

I hope you defy the odds, just trying to give it to you straight.

And your refusal to even consider applying DO may come back to bite you.

@fldoctorgirl and I are basically telling you the same thing here

Reactions: 2 users
Umm okay guys. Way to be super negative. People are WAY more nice on Reddit. Maybe you should check it out there and learn how to be socially amicable. I hope you don't treat your future patients like that.... @CavsFan2016

@Ezra Redden: Keep your head up and just do your thing. I wish the best of luck for you!

Umm okay guys. Way to be super negative. People are WAY more nice on Reddit. Maybe you should check it out there and learn how to be socially amicable. I hope you don't treat your future patients like that.... @CavsFan2016

@Ezra Redden: Keep your head up and just do your thing. I wish the best of luck for you!
Oh and if your argument is that you are just being honest.... you can be honest and not an A-hole.

Just trying to give him good advice, even if it's not what he wanted to hear. In my opinion, telling him to apply with those stats is the rude thing to do

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

He didn't ask for a WAMC response.. He asked for reactions to the April 28th MCAT.

I'm still trying to get some reactions haha Thanks for bringing this back on topic

So I took the AAMC FL two weeks before the real thing, got a 517, then Next Step 4 the week before, got 511, then did the AAMC Section Banks right after the NS and got barely above 70 percent on each section.

I walked away from the real thing feeling almost exactly the same as when I took my AAMC FL, which was kind of clueless as to how my score would turn out. Does anyone have any idea how likely I am to actually hit that 517 again?

I know that there is never a solid answer for this, but I would appreciate some input!

I took it in Utah and felt like PS was a lot easier than the FL 1. I also felt like CARS was easier. Bio felt harder and Psych felt slightly harder. Overall i felt like will get around the same score

I'm still trying to get some reactions haha Thanks for bringing this back on topic

So I took the AAMC FL two weeks before the real thing, got a 517, then Next Step 4 the week before, got 511, then did the AAMC Section Banks right after the NS and got barely above 70 percent on each section.

I walked away from the real thing feeling almost exactly the same as when I took my AAMC FL, which was kind of clueless as to how my score would turn out. Does anyone have any idea how likely I am to actually hit that 517 again?

I know that there is never a solid answer for this, but I would appreciate some input!
Chances are you'll score your AAMC FL score +/- 2 unless you defy the odds and get like a 524 or something. You should be good

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it in Utah and felt like PS was a lot easier than the FL 1. I also felt like CARS was easier. Bio felt harder and Psych felt slightly harder. Overall i felt like will get around the same score
CARS passages seemed slightly longer than the AAMC FLs. PS wasn't any harder than in NS FLs, I left that section feeling numb about it though. I usually get from like 126-128, I might score higher cause I only had to guess on like three questions

Hi guys,

So I'm taking the exam on June 17th. Just a heads up: I took the MCAT last August and got a 516 (129/128/130/129). That's 94/95th percentile.

However, given that I just graduated with a 3.91 GPA with clinical shadowing, strong hospital experience, and solid research experience, I reckoned I have a shot at the elite schools, and decided that I resit the exam on June 17th to try to attain a really high score. I started studying on May 22nd.

My scores are as follows (The Practice Exam 1 and Sample were the same as last year, but it's been almost a year and I didn't recall any of it):
AAMC Sample: (93%, 86%, 90%, 90%)- after 1.25 week review
AAMC P2 (Not previously taken, done 1 week into studying-so May 26th): (130, 129, 128, 128)= 515

These were done during the last week:
C/P Bank: 86/100
P/S Bank: 84/100
CARS Bank: 99/120
B/B Bank: 85/100
Biology Volume 1: 92/120 (After 4 days review)
Biology Volume 2: 100/120 (After 1 week review)

The thing is, I really want a crack at the elite medical schools, e.g. Harvard, JHU, Columbia etc. I know I have the GPA, but I worry that my MCAT score from last year is a couple to few points below the medians for the big boys.
Moreover, what happens if my 2nd score is lower than the first? I'm a bit worried.
Please advise. I've been doing the prep, but am wondering if I'm better off sticking with what I have and applying earlier.

Hi guys,

So I'm taking the exam on June 17th. Just a heads up: I took the MCAT last August and got a 516 (129/128/130/129). That's 94/95th percentile.

However, given that I just graduated with a 3.91 GPA with clinical shadowing, strong hospital experience, and solid research experience, I reckoned I have a shot at the elite schools, and decided that I resit the exam on June 17th to try to attain a really high score. I started studying on May 22nd.

My scores are as follows (The Practice Exam 1 and Sample were the same as last year, but it's been almost a year and I didn't recall any of it):
AAMC P2 (Not previously taken, done 1 week into studying-so May 26th): (130, 129, 128, 128)= 515

The thing is, I really want a crack at the elite medical schools, e.g. Harvard, JHU, Columbia etc. I know I have the GPA, but I worry that my MCAT score from last year is a couple to few points below the medians for the big boys.
Moreover, what happens if my 2nd score is lower than the first? I'm a bit worried.
Please advise. I've been doing the prep, but am wondering if I'm better off sticking with what I have and applying earlier.
I'm not gonna lie. I hate you a little.

Take what you have and apply earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
@tendaichisoro I think you posted in the wrong thread; but since I read your post...

Taking FL2 so soon was a bad move, given that when taken at the end of your studies, it's very predictive of your real score.
The fact that you can't crack 130 on CARS or P/S, which are comprehension-based, tells me you may not have the multiple choice test-taking skills to get a 100% percentile MCAT score. At least, doing so is likely to take you more work than you're anticipating, and why bother when you already have a high score?
Don't rewrite.

Hi guys,

Retaking is a pretty bad idea. You do worse, it looks bad. Unless you do significantly better (like 522+) it really doesn't change your app. Retaking a 95th percentile score also makes you look like a perfectionist who is never happy to adcoms. I would be happy with what you got and move on. A 516 MCAT score isn't going to hold you back from Harvard etc. with your awesome GPA and good ECs.

Hi guys,

Tbh, I would recommend that you do NOT retake.

What about the issue of the MCAT score with the elite schools? It's still about 2-3 below the medians of the elites. Would I still have a reasonable shot with a 3.91 GPA/516 MCAT for a Harvard or a Columbia?
Yes you still have a shot at Harvard. Avg. GPA is 3.92 overall with 518 MCAT. Their 25th-75th MCAT percentile is 514-521. You fall exactly within this range.

The chances of you taking the MCAT again and doing the same or better are low. I think you did incredibly well and should give applying a shot.

@tendaichisoro Even with a 524+ MCAT, there's no guarantee an elite school would take you, and you'd still need to apply to backups. Apply to Harvard and Columbia if you'd like to, and don't risk your chances everywhere by potentially getting the same or a lower score on an MCAT retake.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes you still have a shot at Harvard. Avg. GPA is 3.92 overall with 518 MCAT. Their 25th-75th MCAT percentile is 514-521. You fall exactly within this range.

The chances of you taking the MCAT again and doing the same or better are low. I think you did incredibly well and should give applying a shot.
Thank you. That's very reassuring :) I hope you're right!

Hi guys,

I know I'm late but I'm just in time before u retake that MCAT. I FORBID you from re taking. Its a horrible Idea as many others ahead of me pointed out. 516 is like 95 percentile and theres no guarantee you'll do better. If u get the same score or you do a little worse it will really make you look bad. And if you do better and get like 98th percentile its still only 3 percentile difference and who cares. Those big elite schools accept tons of people with 516 each cycle. You are better served practicing for interviews and improving on ECs.

Goodluck