Approved Military Psych Drugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Seems like a well-informed core in here.

Spouse is wrapping up school in the next year. Military obligation to follow.

My concern is the psych drugs my spouse is on (began them during school). Is there a list of approved or available psych drugs online somewhere? Current regimen is 6 different drugs, some anti-deps and some anti-psychs . . . a very fine balance, totally sane on them, but volitile mood swings into deep depression if off of them.

I need to know what we're in for. If these drugs aren't available to military personel, it won't be a good situation.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Zipper said:

My concern is the psych drugs my spouse is on (began them during school). Is there a list of approved or available psych drugs online somewhere? Current regimen is 6 different drugs, some anti-deps and some anti-psychs . . . a very fine balance, totally sane on them, but volitile mood swings into deep depression if off of them.

I need to know what we're in for. If these drugs aren't available to military personel, it won't be a good situation.

Thanks.

Not 100% sure about the military, but I know that even here in my relatively backward state, drugs like anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, and anti-convulsants are all "protected" on hospital formularies and insurance preferred lists, meaning they carry all versions. To me, that makes a lot of sense because if you mess with someone's anti-convulsant, then you can really screw them up. It seems like if we can get this worked out here in Alabama, then the military should have a similar situation. For you, I think if the military doesn't keep them in stock, then you should they ought to be covered via insurance from any local civilian pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zipper said:

Thanks.

Whoa, there is a lot to consider here . . .

First, every hospital has a mechanism to "special order" nonformulary medications; don't ever let them tell you "we can't get that," because they can. If they give you a real hassle, another option is having your doc write you a paper prescription to take to the local civilian pharmacy. It'll cost you $9 per prescription, but that's a relatively small price to pay if your local military hospital is not cooperating.

OK, that was the easy part . . .

What I find more concerning is going into the military on half a dozen psych meds. With just that info, he/she seems like a pretty complicated patient, and you had better make sure that you get sent to a posting that has either a very strong miltary psych dept or a good local civilian psych network -- I think someone on 6 meds would cause our psych dept to go totally berserk.

If you haven't done so yet, you need to look into a program called Exceptional Family Member Plan (EFMP) (that's what the Army calls it anyway -- may differ in Navy or AF). It is a registry for personnel with family members who have special medical needs, and you need to register with this program to make sure you are stationed somewhere near access to appropriate medical care.

Finally, it's not clear from your posting, but is your spouse going to be a military physician? If so, does the military know about this medical history? With that psychiatric history, he/she is almost certainly going to end up on the hospital's "Physician Assistance" or "Impaired Provider" program and is going to be watched like a hawk for the slightest signs of impairment. So they had better get used to a lot of additional attention.

RMD 0-4-25

R-Me-Doc said:

RMD 0-4-25

Thanks to all.

R-Me-Doc, yes it is complicated. I'm not comfortable discussing too much on this board.

If you could kindly email me at [email protected] and be willing to answer a few personal questions, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

R-Me-Doc said:

First, every hospital has a mechanism to "special order" nonformulary medications; don't ever let them tell you "we can't get that," because they can. If they give you a real hassle, another option is having your doc write you a paper prescription to take to the local civilian pharmacy. It'll cost you $9 per prescription, but that's a relatively small price to pay if your local military hospital is not cooperating.

OK, that was the easy part . . .

What I find more concerning is going into the military on half a dozen psych meds. With just that info, he/she seems like a pretty complicated patient, and you had better make sure that you get sent to a posting that has either a very strong miltary psych dept or a good local civilian psych network -- I think someone on 6 meds would cause our psych dept to go totally berserk.

If you haven't done so yet, you need to look into a program called Exceptional Family Member Plan (EFMP) (that's what the Army calls it anyway -- may differ in Navy or AF). It is a registry for personnel with family members who have special medical needs, and you need to register with this program to make sure you are stationed somewhere near access to appropriate medical care.

Finally, it's not clear from your posting, but is your spouse going to be a military physician? If so, does the military know about this medical history? With that psychiatric history, he/she is almost certainly going to end up on the hospital's "Physician Assistance" or "Impaired Provider" program and is going to be watched like a hawk for the slightest signs of impairment. So they had better get used to a lot of additional attention.

RMD 0-4-25

i ditto everything he said.

btw-- 4 months to go . . . any idea where you're gonna go once you're free? i hear island doc is looking for a partner to share mai tais and watch the "island scenery" with :cool: then again, he may be keeping it all for himself :smuggrin:

--your friendly neighborhood you're almost there caveman

Did you wife have to complete a physical within 12 months of graduating medical school??? I don't think she would have been found PQ for AD with what you are describing.

You can take your rx to a civilian pharmacy and get if filled there. AD has no co-pay, dependents do.

Zipper said:

Thanks.

No offense but...Amazing...6 meds! should she even be on AD? Thats a comforting thought when she gets deployed. I mean if she has an issue then there is no-one to take care of her patients, and what about her health needs. I cant believe they let that pass the physical.

Just another example of the state of military medicine.

usnavdoc said:
No offense but...Amazing...6 meds! should she even be on AD? Thats a comforting thought when she gets deployed. I mean if she has an issue then there is no-one to take care of her patients, and what about her health needs. I cant believe they let that pass the physical.

Just another example of the state of military medicine.

If your spouse is a prospective active duty member, there is more than an Exceptional Family Member Program (yes, the Navy has this too) enrollment to be considered. I second the concern above. When I was AD, someone in that status would have been NPQ for deployment and special duty, and would likely have been recommended for disability separation board and retirement, if eligible. I know that at NAVHOSP PORTSVA, active duty with bipolar disorder were boarded out, no exceptions. I realize that interval PEs for HPSP is sporadic, but once on active duty, the conditions and the medications will have to be declared at physical time. This is a very significant matter that should be resolved before reporting.

orbitsurgMD said:
If your spouse is a prospective active duty member, there is more than a Exceptional Family Member Program (yes, the Navy has this too) enrollment to be considered. I second the concern above. When I was AD, someone in that status would have been NPQ for deployment and special duty, and would likely have been recommended for disability separation board and retirement, if eligible. I know that at NAVHOSP PORTSVA, active duty with bipolar disorder were boarded out, no exceptions. I realize that interval PEs for HPSP is sporadic, but once on active duty, the conditions and the medications will have to be declared at physical time. This is a very significant matter that should be resolved before reporting.

I had to get a waiver to return to AD after having corrective eye surgery at NMCSD while on AD prior to medical school. I have a hard time believing she made it through the screening exam with the above issues noted, unless she was less than truthful.

These medical issues should have been picked up on the annual screening exam, if submitted.

I would have her inquire about her fitness for active duty now, rather than later. If these things come to light during her internship/residency she could be medically discharged mid-program.

r90t said:
Did you wife have to complete a physical within 12 months of graduating medical school???

Husband.

Not a Med. This just seemed like a good forum to get info.

Thanks to all.

Zipper said:
Husband.

Not a Med. This just seemed like a good forum to get info.

Thanks to all.

Regardless if she is not a physician. The facts still stand that with her condition being on AD is not in her or the services best interest. When the service find out it is very likely that they will move to separate her regardless of her desires.

usnavdoc said:
Regardless if she is not a physician. The facts still stand that with her condition being on AD is not in her or the services best interest. When the service find out it is very likely that they will move to separate her regardless of her desires.

As a physician, I would be concerned about having someone on 6 meds on active duty due to the increased life stressors that occur with deployment.

As a spouse there are some concerns (major) that need to be addressed: separation from spouse/kids/support network/psychiatrist for counselling, medication availability on deployment, combat zone stressors, etc...if she is having problems as a student, I would suspect that they will only increase while on active duty. Also, some meds may affect security/PRP clearance, depending on her job.

usnavdoc said:

HIS pref is to stay in . . . but we understand this is going to make it difficult.

The number of meds grew exponentially over the past 12mos . . . and the underlying problem has decreased exponentially as well.

Very effective management now. Amazing really. Just not sure of (1) they are approved in the military and (2) if their use consitutes automatic grounds for separation.

Hoping it might just affect his deployability.

Zipper said:
HIS pref is to stay in . . . but we understand this is going to make it difficult.

The number of meds grew exponentially over the past 12mos . . . and the underlying problem has decreased exponentially as well.

Very effective management now. Amazing really. Just not sure of (1) they are approved in the military and (2) if their use consitutes automatic grounds for separation.

Hoping it might just affect his deployability.
My bad. Him, not a her. Sorry.

He should do a pre-commisioning physical if being commissioned prior to coming onto active duty. Same thing, if coming in as enlisted, everyone gets an entrance physical. His local medical screening group i.e. MEPS/MTF should be able to help out. This sounds like his problems were controlled with a multi-medicine regimen, however, I would be very worried about future behavior in a high stress environment.

If he can't deploy when coming into the military, they probably won't keep him on AD. It is different when you are already on AD, then something happens medically that prevents you from going on deployment.