Appropriate to challenge grade-determining exam question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloidk1234

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just hoping to get some feedback on my current situation if some of you are willing to offer your input. I am current SMP student that received an acceptance to my #1 program pending that I receive no grade below a B in the program. I have scored well above average in all courses except anatomy in which I've made mostly B's except for one really poor exam grade. I studied incredibly hard for our final exam and was devastated to learn that I was less than 0.2 points away (just one question) from the B that I needed. The most frustrating part is that several of the questions that I missed were on material that I knew but were vaguely presented. For example, one practical question showed a horizontal rectangle overlapping both the renal sinus and the hilum on a transverse cross section of the kidney, for which I incorrectly put "hilum" after briefly debating. The very next practical question was just an arrow pointing to the hilum on the medial border of the kidney. Since I had listed "hilum" for the previous question (there are usually no repeat answers), I answered "medial border" recalling an almost identical picture from our lecture powerpoint pointing to the same area indicating the medial border. Though apparently, the desired answer was "hilum".

Is that not the same as showing an arrow pointing to the fossa ovalis in the heart and also listing "right atrium" as an answer, when no structural border is indicated? When I emailed the professor to inquire why medial border could not be an answer, the response was simply that the hilum is a plane, the doorway to the kidney and the medial border is the entire medial side. Which I completely understand. But the hilum is also part of the medial border and utilizing an arrow as a location indicator does not clearly convey the extent of the area in question.

So I guess my question is whether it is worth trying to meet in person with the professor to further discuss and hope for mercy. It seems so petty and bothersome to contact him about it again, but it is literally a life-changing exam question. I guess I just want to make sure that I have a valid argument before going to speak with him since he's already provided the explanation via email.. Does this seem like a fair question? Should I just accept my fate and let it go? :(

Any thoughts really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can tell from the email that they are not going to budge. But considering the stakes, what’s the worst that could happen? The professor will be annoyed and tell you to get lost?

Do you have any kind of student government or class reps you can go to?

Reactions: 1 user
The difference between a b and a c is not life-changing. You're not an undergrad anymore.

Normally no, but OP loses his acceptance if he gets a C and potentially loses his chance to be a doctor, so it is pretty life changing still.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Going to stop by his office tomorrow morning and see what happens.. praying for a positive outcome!

Reactions: 1 users
Success! He was actually super nice and understanding about it. Such a huge relief. Thanks for the encouragement and good wishes!

Reactions: 10 users