Approach to improving Chem/Phys Section score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyfacegirl27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am currently taking the MCAT in January and Chem/Phys is my weakest section, I am consistently getting around 125 on every practice exam I take. As I have the MCAT in 60 days, I am looking to improve all my sections but especially this one since I can't seem to get the numbers to budge.
My question is:
1) would it be more helpful to focus on basic principles and relationships (like go back through each concept/equation and understand how each variable connects to the others?). I feel like I understand the vast majority of the information but have a hard time applying concepts to biological systems or answering the application questions because they are so different from those I had in my chem/phys courses.
AND/Or
2) drill practice problems? which seems to be everyone's advice as from what I've read so far. In addition, where should I be getting these practice problems from other than AAMC material? If I were drilling problems they should be applied problems (I would assume?) and I don't know where I would find these other than AAMC section banks/question packs.

Any advice as how to correctly approach this section and any resources used would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! I am currently taking the MCAT in January and Chem/Phys is my weakest section, I am consistently getting around 125 on every practice exam I take. As I have the MCAT in 60 days, I am looking to improve all my sections but especially this one since I can't seem to get the numbers to budge.
My question is:
1) would it be more helpful to focus on basic principles and relationships (like go back through each concept/equation and understand how each variable connects to the others?). I feel like I understand the vast majority of the information but have a hard time applying concepts to biological systems or answering the application questions because they are so different from those I had in my chem/phys courses.
AND/Or
2) drill practice problems? which seems to be everyone's advice as from what I've read so far. In addition, where should I be getting these practice problems from other than AAMC material? If I were drilling problems they should be applied problems (I would assume?) and I don't know where I would find these other than AAMC section banks/question packs.

Any advice as how to correctly approach this section and any resources used would be helpful!

In my opinion, a combination of option #1 and option #2 would make the most sense. Try to do ~45-60 minutes of content review every other day for the CP section. While doing this, shoot x 30-50 practice questions daily (under timed conditions). The key to doing the practice questions is to review your mistakes. Write down every single mistake you made and form a word document for this. Review the word document once a week. You will never make the same mistake twice.

Regarding where to get the the practice questions - Do all the passages KA offers. In addition, if this isn't enough, purchase the TBR CP books. These are super challenging (much more difficult than the actual MCAT) and should definitely get you ready.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you finished content review? That section has a lot to do with content review in my honest opinion. Make sure to do the Q-packs for physics and Chem! ASAP

Hi all, just to jump in--

Like the OP, I too am having a lot of trouble with the Chem/Phys section and am looking to improve (by far my weakest section).

If anyone has any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated greatly. Also, any good sources to practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, just to jump in--

Like the OP, I too am having a lot of trouble with the Chem/Phys section and am looking to improve (by far my weakest section).

If anyone has any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated greatly. Also, any good sources to practice?
what in particular are you having trouble with? Have you finished the content? If you want help you gotta be more specific

My question is:
AND/Or

qpacks + ek 1001

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

My question is:
AND/Or

2 >>>>>> 1. There is a reason that the people you see posting at SDN about their success stories choose 2 over 1. If you only do #1, then you will have a false sense of security about how much you actually know and worse than that, you'll be unprepared for passages and questions. You need to spend five times a much time (at least) doing practice passages and questions and then thoroughly reviewing the answers afterwards than you spend on content review. Content review is highly overrated.

Being pragmatic, there are many, many test takers who feel the same way about chemistry and physics. But that is great news, because more than any other section, you can climb the curve fast (unlike B/B, where most test takers are strong). Following a passage-based review where you review every question, right or wrong, will land you at least a 128. For many years I have seen people say they were terrible at these topics that went on to get 11s, 12s, 13s, and now 128s, 129s, and 130s. This is the easiest section to see a gain, if you study the right way. The right way starts with passage-based questions, not reading/reviewing and not free-standing questions.