Approach for those weary of PSLF survival

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PSLF is awsome, especially for those with tons of loans. There are many on this forum who are concerned of survival of PSLF program. That is a valid concern; although the government already spends millions:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gress-federal-employee-student-loans/2434323/
"By 2010, more than 11,000 workers in 36 federal agencies had received loan payments totaling $85.7 million. That number dropped to $71.8 million in 2011."

So you see how much money federal government is already paying for this.
By the time docs start taking advantage of PSLF it may add 5-7million to that cost (I'm purely guessing), and who do you think will notice the difference between 71million and 77million (government spends millions on many types of programs)? I think it will stay.

The plan to stay in PSLF is to:
[1] Get a job that qualifies for PSLF.
[2] Stay in IBR and make extra payments such that you are at least in 10yr repayment plan.
[3] Once you are close to your PSLF forgiveness period (say within 1 year); just stop paying extra until you hit PSLF date.
[4] This will still allow you to save a substantial amount and repay loans before 10yrs.

*Some will say its a hassle to make extra payments on top of IBR; well I think it is worth it if you can save at least 80k just by doing some careful accounting.

Members don't see this ad.

The plan to stay in PSLF is to:
[1] Get a job that qualifies for PSLF.
[2] Stay in IBR and make extra payments such that you are at least in 10yr repayment plan.
[3] Once you are close to your PSLF forgiveness period (say within 1 year); just stop paying extra until you hit PSLF date.
[4] This will still allow you to save a substantial amount and repay loans before 10yrs.

*Some will say its a hassle to make extra payments on top of IBR; well I think it is worth it if you can save at least 80k just by doing some careful accounting.

I think an even better strategy would be to pay the minimum payments and invest the other payments you would make in a CD, municipal bond fund, or I-bonds, particularly if you're in a program with a 5+ year residency/fellowship program. If PSLF is around for you and vaporizes your loans, you've just built a nice nest egg of savings and had your loans paid off as was initially promised.

If it's a bait and switch and there is no PSLF, you just dump your savings against your loans. Granted, with this method you stand to lose a few percentage points (e.g. CDs and I-bonds are paying just under 2% v. 5-6.8% student loans), but in my estimation, it beats the 100% loss you'd take by paying anymore into your student loans than you are required to while you're waiting for PSLF.

Reactions: 1 user
May be there in 10 years but it still looks like indentured servitude.

The 7 year payoff in underserved areas was/is still a better deal and patients are more likely to end up with doctors who want to be in their community.