Appositional or interstitial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bone growth.. From doing old exams it seems they want Interstitial is the answer.

But I think in the decks it says bone can ONLY grow by appositional growth!

but Cartillage can be appositional or interstitial.

Can someone shed some light on this please.

Members don't see this ad.

Bone growth.. From doing old exams it seems they want Interstitial is the answer.

growth of cartilage can be interstitial or appositional,
in interstitial there is enlargement of internal mass of the cartilage by mitotic divisions of excisting chondrocytes and continued deposition of the extracellular matrix.
it is importanat in the epipyseal plates of developing bones and account for their growth in lenght .

appositional growth occurs when inner layers of perichondrium cells divide and differentiate into chondroblasts ,this growth increases the cartilage mass by adding to the surface .
if u hav kaplan nbde ,read frm 11th chapter on connective tissue histology in anatomy .

Reactions: 1 users

another thing i forgot to mention ,cartilage can undergo both interstitial and appositional growth while bone can onlyundergo appositional .

We just wrapped up our first unit in histo/cell so this is fresh in my head....

You havent posted the question all that clearly, but i think what the dental decks are telling you is that AFTER a certain point in age (fusion of the epihysal plate, roughly age twenty) the bone NO LONGER GROW INTERSTITIALY. Appositional grow is mode of growth from here on out. HOWEVER, during development, elongation is interstitial. Hoipe that helps.

growth of cartilage can be interstitial or appositional,
in interstitial there is enlargement of internal mass of the cartilage by mitotic divisions of excisting chondrocytes and continued deposition of the extracellular matrix.
it is importanat in the epipyseal plates of developing bones and account for their growth in lenght .

appositional growth occurs when inner layers of perichondrium cells divide and differentiate into chondroblasts ,this growth increases the cartilage mass by adding to the surface .
if u hav kaplan nbde ,read frm 11th chapter on connective tissue histology in anatomy .
Thank you