Applying without much experience due to COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mordowin

Reaction score
I am a rising junior who was planning on applying during my senior year (2021-2022 cycle) and I had a lot of clinical and volunteering experiences that were lined up for the upcoming year, however it seems that many of them are considering canceling with the second wave of COVID. I have some hours (around 100) but I don't think I will be able to get many more because of the cancellations. If I apply as I originally intended to, is it a good idea to do so or should I wait a gap year? My gpa/mcat is 3.9+/ 520+ and I go to a top public school. Will medical schools understand that COVID literally prevented a years worth of volunteering and hours? Or do they not care?

Members don't see this ad.

No, med schools will not give you slack because COVID blocked plans. there will be plenty of people in the pipe who already have the experience.

Hence, I advise taking a gap year. Your stats merit aiming high...you want to have the app to match that.

Reactions: 1 users
I would check out ways to volunteer online. I have been a listener on 7Cups, a service where you basically are there so people can vent about your problems. I personally find it very fulfilling and enjoyable. I'm sure there are also ways to incorporate volunteering in light of COVID, for example knitting masks or things like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meals on Wheels is doable, as is election poll working (which used to be done by retirees).

As for clinical exposure, look into scribing.

I had a scribing job but they put it on hold for COVID...I kinda live in the middle of nowhere so I really couldn’t find any other opportunities

You may very well have to take a gap year.
On-line or on phone crisis counseling is another venue.

On-line or phone crisis counseling isn't considered "clinical" experience based on responses I received to a question I posted earlier on SDN. Would you agree @Goro?

I am a rising junior who was planning on applying during my senior year (2021-2022 cycle) and I had a lot of clinical and volunteering experiences that were lined up for the upcoming year, however it seems that many of them are considering canceling with the second wave of COVID. I have some hours (around 100) but I don't think I will be able to get many more because of the cancellations. If I apply as I originally intended to, is it a good idea to do so or should I wait a gap year? My gpa/mcat is 3.9+/ 520+ and I go to a top public school. Will medical schools understand that COVID literally prevented a years worth of volunteering and hours? Or do they not care?

Respectfully I have to disagree that you should take a gap year
520/3.9+ will get you several interviews
You can explain your lack of hours and volunteering during your interviews

why waste an entire year trying to get hours when you don’t know what is going to happen this year? How do you know your app will be any different next year?

Reactions: 1 user
I had a scribing job but they put it on hold for COVID...I kinda live in the middle of nowhere so I really couldn’t find any other opportunities
Living in the middle of nowhere increases the likelihood of there being a local volunteer fire department to join, which will typically cover the cost of EMT-B. Plus fire fighting is pretty cool. Find Volunteer Fire Service Opportunities you can search by zip code if you're interested