Applying with Jan 22 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted612812

Hey everyone,

I officially graduated last May, but needed an extra semester to finish two last classes. Unforuantely, I wasn't in good shape to take the MCAT. I'm taking it Jan 22nd. I'm hoping to still apply to some DO schools late this cycle.

What I would like to know is:

1. Should I submit AACOMAS without my MCAT score? (All prereqs complete)
2. Will I get secondaries?
3. Any stats for students that applied this late?

Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get your MCAT results back until the end of February! You should just wait and apply next cycle when AACOMAS opens first thing in May. You don't want to make things more difficult on yourself by applying super late and becoming a reapplicant.

Reactions: 4 users
That is too late to apply. Wait until next year

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I took my MCAT last January so I had lots of time to #1 decide to take it again if needed and #2 research and decide which programs to apply to now that I knew what I was working with MCAT-wise. Do yourself a huge favor and wait until May/June - it's really not that long a wait and you'll be glad you did!

Honestly if you crush it and rest of app is good, I say might as well apply to <4 schools just for the heck of it but expect for that money to just be a shot in the dark and that next cycle is 90% more probable

Last edited:
Agreed. I took my MCAT last January so I had lots of time to #1 decide to take it again if needed and #2 research and decide which programs to apply to now that I knew what I was working with MCAT-wise. Do yourself a huge favor and wait until May/June - it's really not that long a wait and you'll be glad you did!
It is a longish wait

Last edited:
Do not apply. Apply first thing next cycle and you will enjoy so much more success

Reactions: 2 users
Not to derail the thread, but what is the earliest the application can be submitted. I remember reading that it can be worked on starting in May, but can't be submitted to June 1st is this true?

Hey everyone,

I officially graduated last May, but needed an extra semester to finish two last classes. Unforuantely, I wasn't in good shape to take the MCAT. I'm taking it Jan 22nd. I'm hoping to still apply to some DO schools late this cycle.

Thank you so much!!!

Also curious about this and in the same boat. I'd be able to meet the Feb 1 submit date but app wouldn't be complete until approx. Mar 1.

For schools that don't screen, would secondaries be delayed until the application is "complete?"

I know that the odds are against me but I'm seriously considering applying to a few programs like Touro, LECOM, Rocky Vista, etc which have later deadlines..

Input from those with experience applying this late would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much!!!

Just be aware that quite a few schools indicate they don't accept any new applications around the Feb(ish) timeframe and just review the 5000+ they already have, so you'd have to look at each school's calendar to see if even possible time wise. Thus depending on how fast certain things get processed you might be truly throwing $$ away to submit, especially if you haven't already completed the entire application and just waiting for your MCAT scores. If you are stellar (from the "good shape" comment I'm guessing not), you could submit to schools now and just be pending your MCAT score, but it's taking a risk and you didn't post your stats.

You will likely get secondaries, as some automatically send them out to all applicants. Best case, if you scored high on the MCAT you might get an II IF your grades, EC's, etc are also all really really good and all of the stars align and things get processed super fast. If you do average on the MCAT then you risk being rejected and being seen as a reapplicant next year.

Is it worth the risk of potentially putting a spot on your application?

Here's the deadlines (many Feb 1st ones), Google is your friend:

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_application-deadlines.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Anyone know which schools are interviewing for the waiting list and which still have open seats?

I took the Jan 15th MCAT last year and applied late as a long shot....long story short, I got waitlisted and had to rewrite everything and resubmit just a few months after having submitted...save yourself some energy and $$$ and just wait to submit on day 1