Applying with a significant facial deformity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hephaesta22

Reaction score
I am a senior in college interested in ophthalmology and planning to apply to medical school in the 2022 cycle. I also have a significant, congenital deformity affecting my facial and skull bone structure. It is very clearly visible even at a distance. It is not a disability, I can perform any mental or physical task as well as anyone else---except maybe getting a date, rip lmao! However, to be 100% frank in the past it has resulted in my being excluded from opportunities (sometimes even after I have been accepted), or my photo being very conspicuously removed or cropped out from things. People often turn to stare when I walk down the street, and I am aware that some people's knee-jerk reaction is fear or revulsion.
Most children with a similar deformity to mine receive reconstructive surgery, but my parents declined for... complicated reasons. It is still an option in principle, but would only be aesthetic, and I have long since made peace with the way I look, and when I look in the mirror I do not see anything "wrong", I simply see me. This is how I've looked my whole life, it seems "normal" to me and people who know me well, and I would not be willing to accept seeing a stranger in the mirror in exchange for going through life a little easier with a more "societally typical" appearance. (I also think our society has a profoundly pathological hangup on physical appearance and "normalness", but that is a whole can of worms that I won't open up here!)
My experiences shadowing and talking to current students have so far been very supportive, but I want some honest talk so I am also prepared for the "worst case": how is something like this likely to affect my experience applying to medical school, likelihood of getting in, and maybe practice as a doctor? And how, if at all, should I address this in my application? This aspect of my application is something I'm willing to write about but not center my application around, as I believe there are much more interesting things about me!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
If I were the one reviewing your application, then it would not be something I would consider a negative. Instead, I'd be looking for how that has provided you a unique perspective to bring to the class in your essays, considering you've shared that it's impacted you in the past. If you didn't write about it at all then it wouldn't be under consideration.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were the one reviewing your application, then it would not be something I would consider a negative. Instead, I'd be looking for how that has provided you a unique perspective to bring to the class in your essays, considering you've shared that it's impacted you in the past. If you didn't write about it at all then it wouldn't be under consideration.
Thanks. I am just a little tired of being reduced to this feature--it has affected me and I'm willing to mention it, but I have other stuff to talk about that had more to do with my decisions and not how I was born. It also seems a little lame to write an adversity essay about how my biggest adversity is that I'm ugly lol (especially as I think there have been more significant adversities in my life). Tbh I am more worried about the interview, I have experienced this in the past where people are very receptive in theory to me talking about my deformity at the "written application" stage, but somehow when they meet me it is not what they are expecting, and lofty words of being blind to what's skin deep mysteriously evaporate--even though it is the same "me" on paper and in person!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am more worried about the interview, I have experienced this in the past where people are very receptive in theory to me talking about my deformity at the "written application" stage, but somehow when they meet me it is not what they are expecting, and lofty words of being blind to what's skin deep mysteriously evaporate--even though it is the same "me" on paper and in person!
If you are rejected, intentionally or not, from a school due to your appearance then that is not a school you (or anyone else) want to go to.

I just want to say, just by the way you wrote up this post that you seem like a genuinely sweet and cool person and I hope you find a lot of success in your life.

As for my advice I would touch on it (if you’d like) during your personal statement or secondaries ONLY IF it is something you feel has contributed to your journey or had an impact on the trajectory of your path to medical school. Otherwise like you said, you’d me mentioning something you’re dispassionate about only to mention it and I think it would come across in your writing. As @Deltasidearm said, if you get rejected on your appearance then I would stay as far away as possible from that school and it would be far and away a loss for them not you. It would be like rejecting someone for being too tall or too short, unchangeable things that have no bearing on your ability to be an a great medical student or physician.

I just want to say, just by the way you wrote up this post that you seem like a genuinely sweet and cool person and I hope you find a lot of success in your life.

As for my advice I would touch on it (if you’d like) during your personal statement or secondaries ONLY IF it is something you feel has contributed to your journey or had an impact on the trajectory of your path to medical school. Otherwise like you said, you’d me mentioning something you’re dispassionate about only to mention it and I think it would come across in your writing. As @Deltasidearm said, if you get rejected on your appearance then I would stay as far away as possible from that school and it would be far and away a loss for them not you. It would be like rejecting someone for being too tall or too short, unchangeable things that have no bearing on your ability to be an a great medical student or physician.
If you are rejected, intentionally or not, from a school due to your appearance then that is not a school you (or anyone else) want to go to.
Thanks, I agree with you 100% that I would not want to go to a school that would reject me for my appearance. But I also want to get into a school and become a doctor, lol!!! My purpose for this thread was just practically (also being a first-gen applicant, and not really having a baseline to what to expect)--how big of an issue should I expect this to be? Does this mean I should apply to more schools than normal? Any schools I should steer clear of? I have heard that interviewers' assessment of your appearance plays a big part in their evaluation of you (even though it is obviously not supposed to), especially as a woman, is this true? I.e. there is a lot of discussion I have seen on sdn and among fellow applicants exchanging tips on how to dress, how to do your makeup, how to style your hair, how/whether to wear jewelry or piercings, even whether to cover tattoos. I'm sure if you asked the interviewers they would say they weight this minimally or not at all, but of course the reality is often different

In theory this can't be held against you. In practice, well it's clear from your post you've experienced rejection from other opportunities based on your appearance. I would hope that medical professionals could look past appearances (is that any oxymoron?) and I'm sure 9/10 people will claim never to discriminate based on looks. But when we look at people in any number of professional roles, it's obvious the hiring process isn't blind.

Your experiences with your facial deformity may be worth addressing in your application since it seems it caused your family to make difficult medical choices. It would show you can empathize with patients in tough situations and you could probably sell it as your "seed" - ie how you became interested in medicine. If you can make it fit in with your narrative and you want to, go for it. Otherwise you're not obligated. I wish you luck and I like your username. The classics are severely under appreciated by STEM types :p

Reactions: 1 user
I am a senior in college interested in ophthalmology and planning to apply to medical school in the 2022 cycle. I also have a significant, congenital deformity affecting my facial and skull bone structure. It is very clearly visible even at a distance. It is not a disability, I can perform any mental or physical task as well as anyone else---except maybe getting a date, rip lmao! However, to be 100% frank in the past it has resulted in my being excluded from opportunities (sometimes even after I have been accepted), or my photo being very conspicuously removed or cropped out from things. People often turn to stare when I walk down the street, and I am aware that some people's knee-jerk reaction is fear or revulsion.
Most children with a similar deformity to mine receive reconstructive surgery, but my parents declined for... complicated reasons. It is still an option in principle, but would only be aesthetic, and I have long since made peace with the way I look, and when I look in the mirror I do not see anything "wrong", I simply see me. This is how I've looked my whole life, it seems "normal" to me and people who know me well, and I would not be willing to accept seeing a stranger in the mirror in exchange for going through life a little easier with a more "societally typical" appearance. (I also think our society has a profoundly pathological hangup on physical appearance and "normalness", but that is a whole can of worms that I won't open up here!)
My experiences shadowing and talking to current students have so far been very supportive, but I want some honest talk so I am also prepared for the "worst case": how is something like this likely to affect my experience applying to medical school, likelihood of getting in, and maybe practice as a doctor? And how, if at all, should I address this in my application? This aspect of my application is something I'm willing to write about but not center my application around, as I believe there are much more interesting things about me!
While your deformity doesn't define you, it is part of your life, and it has caused you to deal with a lot of negative experiences. That's on the people who act like swine to you, not on you.

As such, since med school are always looking for evidence of what my wise colleague @Angus Avagadro causes "grit", I feel that this would make excellent fodder your your adversity essays.

Also mention if it has allowed you to gain more empathy for the marginalized.

@Goro is spot on as always. Your great attitude and ability to rise above your condition will be an asset during the application process. I think you already have made a great start on how to address it. However, you are so much more than your appearance and your transcript, MCAT, ECs, LORa, volunteer work, etc will be more important as to why you should be considered for admission. Good luck and best wishes.

1. Ugly is a relative term. Its hard to label someone as ugly because everyone has a type, and what I may find attractive others may look at me as if im crazy. Your facial deformity doesnt define your overall attractiveness because there is a multitude of things that go into that. Hope is not lost. You can get a date, there are plenty of men/women out there.

2. I was on interview committee/selection committee for residency. I didn't care if someone was particular attractive, but I did notice if effort was put into style like being dressed well/how they take care of themselves. Not physical appearance but rather maintenance if you will.

3. Personality and work ethic always stood out to me the most. If you were miss universe (no idea your gender just an example) that would mean absolutely nothing to me if it became apparent you had a malignant personality or I suspected a poor work ethic. Ill take a hard worker/enjoyable person to be around any day of the week over someone who is just physically attractive.

4. Will patients judge you? Hard to say. Some might, but people judge whether you have deformity or not. It is the nature of us to judge others, whether its quietly or overtly. Will they care about your appearance if they feel like you care about them and do a good job? Probably not.

Your appearance in some ways have given you advantages. Perhaps because of your appearance, you know that life is not easy and is often unfair. Maybe that even fuels your determination/hunger/drive. All of the qualities you need to become a successful doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry you've had to go through this. I have a physical disability that effected me a lot more as a child so I understand how callous and rude alot of people can be. I don't think it will count against you for getting in and through medical school but I would be prepared for the stuff that patients might say.