applying to pgy 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reddevil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

just had a quick question for all of you. i'm currently a M3 and my gf will be starting her m1 year this year. i know couples matching will be difficult with the 2 year difference as i do not feel like taking 2 years off. 1 would have been doable. so my question is ideally, i would like to do my pgy 1 at my current home school just so i can be near her another year but i was wondering how difficult it was to apply straight to a pgy 2 psych? is this even possible? For those of you in a similar situation, are there any other options or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are 2 years off from your GF, I don't see how changing between PGY1 and 2 will help. Consider doing your 1st two years in one program and then trying to change programs once you know where your GF is going as an intern.

Since you are 2 years off from your GF, I don't see how changing between PGY1 and 2 will help. Consider doing your 1st two years in one program and then trying to change programs once you know where your GF is going as an intern.

Thanks for the reply! My train of thought was if I do PGY1 at my current school then I could be beside her for M3 year. Then for her M4 year, I would do my PGY2 year elsewhere and since she will be doing a lot of aways, there really would be no reason for me to stay at my current school since I wouldn't really be able to see her anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar position. My SO is a MS1 and I'm a MS3. Is it unheard of or extremely difficult to transfer psych programs between PGY2 and PGY3?

It is definitely less common to transfer after the PG2 year but I have had a couple of residents who have done it.

So you are looking at changing programs at least twice? I would suspect that you would begin to have problems changing a second time. As a PD I will easily accept somebody wanting to change once, but looking to change a second time raises red flags.