Applying to North American Med School From European?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone heard/have any thoughts on a situation where a student currently completing an education as a future IMG in a med school in Europe applies back to Canadian/American med schools to start medicine all over again? The purpose would be to complete a medical education already in the country you want to go back to, and avoid the uphill battle as an IMG. A friend is considering doing this, and as far as we've researched there doesn't seem to be any rule against it. Anyone heard of this being done?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I've heard of someone doing this in Canada.
As long as he's doing well at the current med school it shouldn't be a problem.

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard/have any thoughts on a situation where a student currently completing an education as a future IMG in a med school in Europe applies back to Canadian/American med schools to start medicine all over again? The purpose would be to complete a medical education already in the country you want to go back to, and avoid the uphill battle as an IMG. A friend is considering doing this, and as far as we've researched there doesn't seem to be any rule against it. Anyone heard of this being done?
I've had a few students do this at my DO school...but they had to get US citizenship first.