applying to multiple residencies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I was wondering, whether it is possible (from what I hear, it is) and what the consequences are of applying to multiple residencies? For ex. if I am interested in Orthopaedics and IM, (given that I have the numbers for ortho) so I apply and interview for ortho and IM spots. However, say I don't match an ortho spot, I can most likely match a top IM spot rather than not matching an ortho spot, and then scrambling for a worthless IM spot (because I am sure scrambling for ortho is nearly impossible). Is this possible, and more importantly, do the PD's know that you have applied to the most two distinct fields? I understand that there is ONE match, and say you rank all your ortho spots as 1-5 and start with IM as 6-whatever. Now if you don't get ortho, you will match into your first IM ranking, eh??

Another thing, is it possible to apply to early match specialty AND a regular match specialty? If I want to shoot for ENT and Ortho, can I apply for both?

Please fill me in with these dillusional ideas that I have. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.