Applying to medical school with my twin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meera9

Reaction score
I have a question for all of you! I am applying to medical school currently, and my twin is also applying right now. I have a slightly higher GPA (.1 difference) and she has a higher MCAT score (by one point). We both are very involved with very different organizations and both have numerous leadership positions. I interview better than she does.

My twin just got rejected from a school (she made a mistake that she was aware of in answering one of the questions). I have not heard back from this school. We were both over both the GPA and MCAT average score for this school by alot (pretty competitive for the school).

What are the odds that I will be rejected because my twin was? (I thought my interview went very well).

Members don't see this ad.

You are both separate people and applicants. Chances they reject you solely based off of what a different individual did are poor.

Reactions: 4 users
Your applications are probably not the exact same. They would reject or accept you because of your own merits.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! I actually got the call yesterday that I was accepted!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations on the acceptance OP.

Well, now we know which twin is superior.

Congrats!

Or one just interviews better or better fits this school's target students, or, you know, luck. I don't mean to diminish OP's achievement, and I'm sure this post was meant more to just be congratulatory, but we really should be careful not to put too much value into whether someone did not get accepted to a specific school.

The further you go in this field, the more you realize how much of it has to do with things out of your control or even just luck. The luck of getting an interviewer you connect with, or the luck of a letter from a writer known to a specific individual on an adcom, or just the luck of making a connection at a conference. You try your best with the things in your control, and then you let the cards fall where they may.

Also, you all have far more value individually than whether or not you get into a specific med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!

Yea, there is definitely a component of luck! My twin and I applied to an early acceptance program last year for medical school and were told at the interview that they were either going to take both of us or none (not exact words but was implied)-- we both got rejected and were worried that it would effect us throughout this whole medical school process, which is why I wanted to ask SDN what the process for twins was at other schools!

It really shouldn't be like that. Maybe they thought that you would be reassured by hearing that because some people only want to attend together, but I've known a few sets of twins that went to separate schools. The only real downside (other than not having your twin around) is extra costs for housing, which could just be solved by a roommate.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on the acceptance OP.

Or one just interviews better or better fits this school's target students, or, you know, luck. I don't mean to diminish OP's achievement, and I'm sure this post was meant more to just be congratulatory, but we really should be careful not to put too much value into whether someone did not get accepted to a specific school.

The further you go in this field, the more you realize how much of it has to do with things out of your control or even just luck. The luck of getting an interviewer you connect with, or the luck of a letter from a writer known to a specific individual on an adcom, or just the luck of making a connection at a conference. You try your best with the things in your control, and then you let the cards fall where they may.

Also, you all have far more value individually than whether or not you get into a specific med school.

Sorry, I forgot the /s. I’m sure OPs twin is a great person

I know couple of years back one twin was accepted and other was waitlisted. The twin who was accepted declined and other twin was got the waitlist spot.

I know couple of years back one twin was accepted and other was waitlisted. The twin who was accepted declined and other twin was got the waitlist spot.
haha, they were probably like if I can't have you ill take the other you.

haha, they were probably like if I can't have you ill take the other you.

well the adcoms on here are always saying you aren’t competing with everyone else at interviews, you are competing with yourself. And by yourself I mean your identical twin

• Haha
The whole concept of this thread :rofl:

Congrats though, OP!