Applying to med school while in SMP or wait until after SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted770098

I was planning on applying to medical schools (MD and DO) this upcoming cycle (2018-2019) with cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 508. I'm a career changer (history major, worked in accounting for a few years, started undergraduate post-bacc 3 years ago). I've gathered all my LORs, which I think are pretty strong, have 1100 hours of scribe experience, and have chemistry research on my resume. I'm also going to get a committee letter from Loyola's pre-health advisory committee.

However, I recently got into Loyola's MAMS program which starts in the fall, and I intend on enrolling. My question is, should I have an active application to med school while I am in MAMS, or should I wait until I'm done with the program?

My physician brother recommends that I apply after I'm done with the program, as he feels my stats are not strong enough to be competitive for MD schools. He believes the SMP would give me a strong boost, especially if I do really well. I'm on the fence, as I do want to apply this year, but I also feel somewhat insecure about my stats. Also thinking of retaking the MCAT. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your post bacc GPA?.... you seem to be in a not so terrible position for applying without a SMP

Reactions: 1 user
What is your post bacc GPA?.... you seem to be in a not so terrible position for applying without a SMP

My post bacc GPA is currently 3.81, still taking 3 classes this semester. My undergraduate GPA started out at 3.1, my current cGPA is 3.4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, I’ll probably apply this cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I know you wont like hearing this, but skip the SMP, those are for students that cant get their GPA above 3.0 with a post bacc

Reactions: 1 user
My physician brother recommends that I apply after I'm done with the program, as he feels my stats are not strong enough to be competitive for MD schools. He believes the SMP would give me a strong boost, especially if I do really well. I'm on the fence, as I do want to apply this year, but I also feel somewhat insecure about my stats. Also thinking of retaking the MCAT. Opinions?
To explain further why this is a bad idea. If you do poorly, you wreck your chances. Both on the SMP/MCAT. Apply this year, find @Goro 's awesome list of schools that reward reinvention, nail your interviews, get into med school.