Applying to MA program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have graduated with a BS in Biology and am planning to apply to a number of SLP programs this coming summer. My GPA however, is not as high as I would like (2.6 GPA) and I want to take some more classes at a community college to raise it. Does it matter what classes I take? Or do schools look more favorably on certain classes? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what state you are from, but in CA, SLP is really competitive and from my research the schools won't look at your application without at least a 3.5 gpa. If you have a high gpa for all your pre-req than that would be a different story. If you want to take more classes to raise the gpa, I would reccomend you take SLP pre-req classes. What are your other stats? GREs, LORs, Experience, etc...

I would say that it definitely matters what courses you take, and if I were in your shoes I would enter a post-bac program and get straight As. When I switched into this field, I was surprised by how high the GPAs were, so it is important you know that going in to save yourself wasted applications. After I transferred to a school which offerred SLP, I had a 4.0 and had no trouble gaining acceptance to grad programs.