Applying to Ireland (start 2009)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've no idea the answer to your first question... I'm assuming Irish offers are unconditional since I haven't heard anything about sending in final transcripts... I'd just make sure I do extremely well in all my course work anyway just in case this application cycle doesn't work out.

As for your second question, I interviewed with University of Limerick over the weekend and that was the impression I got from speaking with Peter (of Atlantic Bridge)... Though my definition of "soon" could be vastly different from yours, as I'd even consider a decision in early May "soon". He also explicitly said some schools (I recall Trinity among them) will be making many decisions this week. Guess we'll find out...

I applied to all six schools in October (I wasn't sure how competitive my application would be) and I haven't heard a peep from any of them other than Limerick... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your useful info!!:)

I would be really glad if I could get an offer at the begining of May.

Sincerely,

GOt an interview for RCSI in the begining of May!!!

YAY!

Members don't see this ad :)
GOt an interview for RCSI in the begining of May!!!

YAY!

hey!!! congrats to you!!!
I guess RCSI is really sending out its second round of interview these few days/weeks.

Does anyone know approximately how long after the interview will the result be out?!

I'm still waiting miserably for the interview...

Sincerely,

My understanding is that they try to get back to you three weeks after the interview, but I really have no idea.

There are 24 interviewees btw and the usually have a 50% acceptance rate.

Any hints or tips on the interview would be appreciated

I got my acceptance a week and half after my interview

Great news pgouda! You have been waiting a long time, such a torment. I heard about two weeks after the interview (I had a slightly different situation) They asked me many more questions than I thought they would. Be sure and read the RCSI website and know the program. They will ask you about you and your application. It wasn't so bad. Which program are you applying to, GEP, 5 or 6 yr?
Hey, kevdude, have you decided where you are going to live?

Um I am applying for the 6 year program. I think that is the only one I am elligible for considering I am a high school student

Great news pgouda! You have been waiting a long time, such a torment. I heard about two weeks after the interview (I had a slightly different situation) They asked me many more questions than I thought they would. Be sure and read the RCSI website and know the program. They will ask you about you and your application. It wasn't so bad. Which program are you applying to, GEP, 5 or 6 yr?
Hey, kevdude, have you decided where you are going to live?

Not yet. Still waiting on a friend, hopefully he gets 2nd round interviews. How bout you?

Are you planning to go in the summer for a tour/find a place?

Im going to go in may/june to check it out.

My understanding is that they try to get back to you three weeks after the interview, but I really have no idea.

There are 24 interviewees btw and the usually have a 50% acceptance rate.

Any hints or tips on the interview would be appreciated

wow...there are 24 interviewees only ?!
How did you know that!!
Now i'm really getting worried...

Sincerely,

I asked the person who schedualed my interview

Hey everyone I got into the five year program!

Okay I promised myself that if I ever got in I will try to help persons prepare for their interviews. Here it goes--

The interview was in Hyatt. My interview lasted about 30 mins. Only one person was doing the interview. She was very jolly and begged us to relax so we can express ourselves genuinely and calmly. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO ON A WEBSITE WITH COLLEGE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS and prepare yourself for the worst. Even if you may not be asked all these questions it lifts anxieties of your shoulders--knowing that you prepared for the worst.

I was asked what I wanted to research, how my friends will describe me, what I want out of RCSI, what I know about the school. And some other questions pertaining to what I had written on application.

I must admit that reaching earlier (two hours earlier) works miracles! You can get fully acquainted with you surroundings trust me that helps.

Ask me anything.....

:luck:

Last edited:
^congrats on your acceptance.

I would love to do the GEP program at RCSI, but I haven't been contacted for an interview... And now I hear there are only 24 interview spots for the second round... :(

Why don't you call and find out? The worst can be confirmed but the Best will have you a bit more relax. Weigh your options and tell me what you decided to do. I called!:xf:

Thx for the tip Trini...

I have a question for you guys: I'm an international student thus didn't apply thru ABP but thru online application. Does RCSI send out rejection letters in emails or by post mails?!

I'll wait for another week and will call rcsi to find out.
It's toward the end of April and i'm still here waiting.
I afraid that the waiting process" will prolong and still end up getting a rejection letter in May/June...:(

Sincerely,

hi..

i am get really confused....i have two options to choose 1.doin biomedical science in UCL then going to medical school
2.straight into rcsi medical school.............i wanna do medicine but ucl is world 7th university whereas rcsi in not even in the table...do u guys know which one would be better

tnx

That's easy! Start at RCSI now! You don't know how competitive it's going to be to get into UCL after completing that course. That's my opinion. And besides at the end of the day YOU still have to prove yourself a good doctor not the institution you came from. Just because RCSI is not on the "table" does not mean its not an excellent institution with a solid history.:cool:

hi..

i am get really confused....i have two options to choose 1.doin biomedical science in UCL then going to medical school
2.straight into rcsi medical school.............i wanna do medicine but ucl is world 7th university whereas rcsi in not even in the table...do u guys know which one would be better

tnx

Well nader323...:)
I assume that you are looking at the world ranking for universities and colleges instead of by the subjects" that the universities & colleges offer. I also think that you can't compare biomedical science to medicine.
If you check for world rankings for "medicine" i believe that rcsi should be on it (even though i don't think there's a ranking for all the medical schools in the world taking into account of the different systems approached).
If i were wrong somehow, please do correct me.

Sincerely,

That's easy! Start at RCSI now! You don't know how competitive it's going to be to get into UCL after completing that course. That's my opinion. And besides at the end of the day YOU still have to prove yourself a good doctor not the institution you came from. Just because RCSI is not on the "table" does not mean its not an excellent institution with a solid history.:cool:
:thumbup:

Finally someone speaking some sense - I wished everyone thought like you trini!

The main thing about med school is that if you want to go to be a doctor, get in somewhere and make the best of it - as above - YOU have to prove you are a good doctor - it is not based solely on the institution you go to!

The only things that are "school" related and beneficial (not including the decision based on finances) are MAYBE: the type of education you get there (know what your learning style is); and the support of alumni.

Just get in to med school somewhere - You are still an MD if you get into, for example, Harvard Med or a very much less known state college's school of medicine.

Remember also if you are applying to residencies in the US - the first flag to your application will be your USMLE scores and not your med school.

Q: What is the dumbest person to graduate from your medical class called?
A: DOCTOR :laugh: